Why do we get the upgrade bug?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
No upgrade bug for me either with the sole exception of keeping up with technology on the AVR and bluray front. Hell, I recently retired a Yamaha RX-V1500 (pre hdmi) in my bedroom with a used RX-V1075 so that I could get HDMI and a usb port. Ive got the sound Im looking for. All money goes into collecting music and movies.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Funny you should start this. I love my Pioneer system, but it's starting to bug me. What about it bugs me? No idea.

Now I get to start tweaking. :)

My upgrade bug right now would include getting a 5.1.4 capable receiver for my office to use the atmos toppers I bought. I've got one, but it's busy running my theater.

Then that brings up the fact that IF I upgrade my AVR in my office, it'll have to be HDMI 2.1 to support VRR for when my aging plasma finally dies.

I also would like to upgrade my old PJ to a laser 4k model since my 1080p PJ was a budget PJ to begin with.

Basically, the way I do it is get the best thing I can possibly afford at the time, then build on that. Right now I'm up against the same thing @3db is. Technology is surpassing what my current gear can do.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have 3 bedrooms I can set up systems in and for some reason I just haven't. It might gimme something new to do with the hobby, and I definitely have the speakers for it, but I spend the overwhelming bulk of my time in the living room so I just haven't been very motivated to go there.
You find so much good stuff on craigslist I figure you'd have enough speakers to do a monthly rotation.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 3 bedrooms I can set up systems in and for some reason I just haven't. It might gimme something new to do with the hobby, and I definitely have the speakers for it, but I spend the overwhelming bulk of my time in the living room so I just haven't been very motivated to go there.
Dont do it buddy!! It will spiral out of control on you in a heartbeat. First thing you notice is one of your systems sound way better then the rest. Of course no self respecting hobbyist can let something like that go so you upgrade the rest of the systems. And you notice the problem again and proceed to upgrade again..spinning out of control!!! :p Not only that but now you have to purchase additional seating and the mandatory beer fridge in every room. Not that beer fridges are bad. You see where this is going don't you??? But wait!!! It gets worse. Now you have decide which room your gonna listen/watch tonight. You're just asking for complication and angst. :p First covid, now upgrade pandemic!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dont do it buddy!! It will spiral out of control on you in a heartbeat. First thing you notice is one of your systems sound way better then the rest. Of course no self respecting hobbyist can let something like that go so you upgrade the rest of the systems. And you notice the problem again and proceed to upgrade again..spinning out of control!!! :p Not only that but now you have to purchase additional seating and the mandatory beer fridge in every room. Not that beer fridges are bad. You see where this is going don't you??? But wait!!! It gets worse. Now you have decide which room your gonna listen/watch tonight. You're just asking for complication and angst. :p First covid, now upgrade pandemic!!
So what you're saying is...

Get my rooms set up ASAP so I can start finding more excuses to buy more stuff? That's brilliant!

Hmm... I'm gonna need at least 1 more receiver. I guess that means it's time to upgrade my main one and demote it to one of the bedrooms...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So what you're saying is...

Get my rooms set up ASAP so I can start finding more excuses to buy more stuff? That's brilliant!

Hmm... I'm gonna need at least 1 more receiver. I guess that means it's time to upgrade my main one and demote it to one of the bedrooms...
Nope.
Wait.
...Until SU drops their 2022 offerings.
Then decide.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I get the bug about once a year, then I just truthfully decide, since I'm retired, how much time to I actually spend listening to my system, instead of being outside, fishing, Kayaking, boating, playing golf or just working in the yard. That usually prevents me from spending thousand to change a little for a lot.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
It's truly a disease that we have in this hobby, why do we all get this urge to upgrade even when we are happy?
Tonight we had people over cause they wanted to see "Jungle cruise" and we have Disney+. System sounded absolutely fantastic, I actually tuned in to just listening and evaluating my HT because I had seen the movie twice already.
The center sounded great, excellent dialog, no issues hearing the voices of the actors. The mains speakers and surrounds working well together sounding excellent. The subs rocking the house big time. It was super fun, loved every minute.
Now I have been getting the upgrade bug for a while now but really, why? It's funny thing right, we all do it, we all go through from time to time?
Just some crazy observations on my part being in this crazy hobby. No particular profound statement or anything.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It's called marketing, applied psychology and unmitigated consumerism, which is part and parcel of a capitalistic based economy.

Please read up on Edward Bernay to get an insight into how upgrading placed into your subconscious mind.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It looks like now is the time to upgrade as prices of electronic equipment and speakers has already started to increase. Even the price of copper is going to jump, so if you plan to get any type of wiring, it's time to rush and buy it before it gets hard to find it at a decent price, even the really affordable speaker wire.

Yesterday, I was looking on the web for 3 prong plugs. The cost of at least one brand has increased by over 50%.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I blame working in Tech
- Kept upgrading my PCs when I was a hardcore gamer
- Finally got into Home Audio in my late 20s with my first Klipsch / Yamaha System
- Kept Upgrading from there
- I see myself doing much less upgrading on my audio side, happy with everything I have, but will keep up with the video side.

While I listened to music often, I find with my current setup, I do it much more often, and never have come away thinking I wanted more. Very content....for now :)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I blame working in Tech
- Kept upgrading my PCs when I was a hardcore gamer
- Finally got into Home Audio in my late 20s with my first Klipsch / Yamaha System
- Kept Upgrading from there
- I see myself doing much less upgrading on my audio side, happy with everything I have, but will keep up with the video side.

While I listened to music often, I find with my current setup, I do it much more often, and never have come away thinking I wanted more. Very content....for now :)
Check out this video to get an understanding. A lot of attention is focused on Apple but you can apply the same thing to Denon, Sony, Samsung, etc.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I can't say I have the upgrade bug. Most of my gear is about 10 years old, except for the TT I bought a few months back. Some might even call that a downgrade. :D

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I can't say I have the upgrade bug. Most of my gear is about 10 years old, except for the TT I bought a few months back. Some might even call that a downgrade. :D
My gear is 10 years old too but I think about upgrading all of the time. Does that count? :D

R

rockluc

Audiophyte
I think I’m starting to catch the upgrade bug, I’ve been looking at a bunch of speakers on the used sites, unfortunately I feel like I’m at that point where there isn’t an obvious upgrade path over what I already have without upping the budget significantly.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
My gear is 10 years old too but I think about upgrading all of the time. Does that count? :D
What is wrong with your gear that makes you think it's time to upgrade?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Duh! It's 10 years old! WTF?!

:p
Age alone shouldn't be a reason to upgrade unless age has rendered it useless or unsafe. I generally keep my stuff a long time unless it's broken. For example, I just recently upgraded my phone after almost five years. Some of you probably upgrade your phone every 6 months to a year.:)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Age alone shouldn't be a reason to upgrade unless age has rendered it useless or unsafe. I generally keep my stuff a long time unless it's broken. For example, I just recently upgraded my phone after almost five years. Some of you probably upgrade your phone every 6 months to a year.:)
Not me. :) First smart phone was a Sony W200a from 2007. Small screen for internet browsing but it had a great MP3 player and even included an FM tuner (using the earphone cord as an antenna).

Replaced that with a Samsung Galaxy S2 which was close to top tier at the time. Currently use the Galaxy S7 but without the silly Edge display. Running out of system memory, though, so time to move on. No headphone jack on the new models so likely going to a Pixel 4A. My wife will get the S7.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis