Buying advice for an OLED TV in Nov. 2021

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
LED is different than OLED. My 42" LG is about 10 years old.
It's also fair to say that a 10 year old LCD television with lousy integrated apps is not a proper comparison to their flagship technology and what would be their newest streaming tech. I have a 10 year old Roku and guess what? It's a piece of crap!

The streaming boxes are constantly going through revisions, getting better, and far more capable as time goes on. It literally costs you under $50 to make the old TV with a decent picture, but lousy 'smart' features into something that works perfectly by simply buying a Roku, Amazon Fire, or similar product. So, it's just not the way to judge any display on the market.

The ONLY way to judge a display is by the image quality it actually delivers and the price point for the display. Considering the price to image quality of the 55" and 65" C1 OLED displays, I find them a very hard price to pass up in a proper viewing area.

In a bright family room, the OLED models may still be too dim to be appropriate.

Seriously though... WHO CARES ABOUT SMART FEATURES? There are so many options. I wish reviewers would stop talking about them like they matter. There are YouTube reviewers who get this right, but so many get this wrong.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Seriously though... WHO CARES ABOUT SMART FEATURES? There are so many options. I wish reviewers would stop talking about them like they matter. There are YouTube reviewers who get this right, but so many get this wrong.
+1. You'll get a few years of updates, at most on your TV. Relying on the TV apps will not work out in the long run. I think getting some sort of streaming device is wiser.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
Yes, as I mentioned in the OP, I would prefer my TV to be a display only... But there is no off switch for that junk, so just to change inputs you need to suffer through the problems. And I'm not making this next part up... when I unboxed my brand new LG 10 years ago, it was already slow, and some of the apps were already end-of-life and unusable on day 1.

Last edited:
J

joshk03

Audioholic
Back to my previous question, has anyone seen the Sony and thought the colors were exagerated, or is their color processing always welcome? Perhaps I am worried about nothing, and their XR is all good.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
After some thought, I'm going to give the Sony A80 a shot. The price is not the worst, and nobody has said anything bad about it.
Thanks for the advice guys.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, as I mentioned in the OP, I would prefer my TV to be a display only... But there is no off switch for that junk, so just to change inputs you need to suffer through the problems. And I'm not making this next part up... when I unboxed my brand new LG 10 years ago, it was already slow, and some of the apps were already end-of-life and unusable on day 1.
FWIW its probably mostly economies of scale, you can get good monitors but they just tend to cost more.

J

joshk03

Audioholic
And special thanks to Trebdp83 and BMXTRIX for bringing the A80 to my attentions. Thanks guys.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The answer to all your questions is Sony. I Have had the Sony for a while now, the HDR quality on it is amazing, the colour contrast seems much better than my previous Samsung. Samsung seemed to lack Vividness.

Lucky for you, there is a 27% off on the X80J 75" on Amazon right now, heard it was a 1-day offer, so you may want to look at it.

Click here (Sony X80J 75" offer)
View attachment 50645
Looks like a good price, but that is not OLED technology (the topic/title of this thread is specifically OLED)

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Unfortunately, despite the resemblance, TVs and monitors are completely different things. TVs do a bunch of stuff that monitors don't have to do.

Good luck and I hope the A80J works out for you. It's a great TV.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Good luck. Would love to hear your experience. I'm thinking about upgrading from a 51 inch plasma to the 65 inch A80J myself.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I have an entry level 4K 65” Samsung now but interested in OLED 4ks, especially around Black Friday. I think that’s when I might buy one.

also didn’t see any mention of Samsung Neo QLED in here .. how does that compare to the Sony-LG?

J

joshk03

Audioholic
also didn’t see any mention of Samsung Neo QLED in here .. how does that compare to the Sony-LG?
QLED and Neo QLED are just marketing wank terms for the old LCD technology. They use a cheap LED backlight, which then requires a diffuser layer to spread the light before it gets to the LCD. That diffuser layer is what they call "Quantum dot" because it is like painted glass with tiny dots (aka holes) in the paint to let light through evenly.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Super confusing that @Sachb posted to a non-OLED display with such a similar model number without any context or explanation and appears to be using what may be an affiliate link... completely ignoring the thread and discussion. Yes, the A80 is OLED, the X80 is LCD. So, don't get suckered in. I've asked mods to remove that confusing post so others are not tripped up.

EDIT: The mods did remove that post, so now we can all be thoroughly confused as we discuss a response that no longer exists. :D Such is life online.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, but he linked to the X80, not the A80. Click his original link to Amazon and it clearly shows LED (Not OLED)

His link is a 75" for ~$1000, a pipe dream today to get OLED at that size for that price.
I have Sach on ignore....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I may be the new owner of a 65" LG A1 soon. Maybe.
Got it yesterday. Brother in law told me about a deal and I got it for less than $600 after tax. They must have lowered the price, because it was supposed to be $680 before tax. Weird that they discounted it so much, but it is "only" a 60hz panel and lacks HDMI 2.1.

I haven't messed with any of the picture settings yet, but the cinema mode looks pretty great to my eye. MASSIVE improvement over the 70" Vizio that it replaced. Granted, that Vizio at retail 3 years ago was less than $1k. Also, the panel is turning purple, so that's why it needed to be replaced.

Won't be buying a Vizio again. Only TV I've ever purchased at retail, and the only one that wasn't a "top tier" manufacturer (Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic (not anymore in the US)). Guess I lost the panel lottery.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis