S

sparty

Audiophyte
I have a separate stereo and use this system for TV (65%), movies (10%), and gaming (25%) primarily. I will occasionally, especially lately, watch live-streamed or recorded concerts. I have no real issues with the sound quality at normal volume levels, but the system doesn't currently have as much headroom as I sometimes would like. Last night, I turned it all the way up +9db on the AVR and I still wanted more. The speakers also started to sweat a little.

Current gear is listed below (5.1), room is over 4k cubic feet (L-shaped)

AVR - Denon AVR-4520ci
Front Stage - NHT Classic
Surrounds - NHT Absolute Zero
Subwoofer - HSU VTF-15H Mk2

I believe the NHTs are rated around 87db sensitivity, I know listed specifications are not always accurate.

S

sparty

Audiophyte
There are a couple interesting options in which I would replace the front stage and move the NHTs back to allow for 7.1.

First, I have access to a pair of JBL 4410. Though they're only 90db, it seems like they might play louder than the NHT if fed enough power (I have an Ashly PA amp lying around). This would be the lowest cost option. Second, the Behringer B215XL has some fans...I don't love this option aesthetically but could make it work.

That said, I cannot accommodate either as a center. Would it be advisable to do one of those two as L/R, purchase a new more efficient center (Paradigm 500c, PSA, Triad)? Would either give me a little more volume and still provide acceptable sound?

I don't have a set budget for this, but if the answer is replace the entire front stage with PSA or above, I'd likely accept the limitations of my current system and move on.

Any insight is appreciate. Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So add your Ashly amp and see if that does anything for you with current speakers? I've never even tried +9 on my 4520, even with external amps---too damn loud :).

S

sparty

Audiophyte
So add your Ashly amp and see if that does anything for you with current speakers? I've never even tried +9 on my 4520, even with external amps---too damn loud :).
Not a bad idea - might as well, costs nothing to try.

I always thought the 4520 was pretty strong, though, at least it measured well back in its day. At that volume level my phone was registering less than 80db. I have a db meter that I'll pull out for a more precise reading next time I have the opportunity to crank it.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a bad idea - might as well, costs nothing to try.

I always thought the 4520 was pretty strong, though, at least it measured well back in its day. At that volume level my phone was registering less than 80db. I have a db meter that I'll pull out for a more precise reading next time I have the opportunity to crank it.
It has a decent amp section. What were you listening to? How far away from the speakers are you? Did you calibrate the 4520 with Audyssey or ? 80dB seems low at such a volume setting.

S

sparty

Audiophyte
It has a decent amp section. What were you listening to? How far away from the speakers are you? Did you calibrate the 4520 with Audyssey or ? 80dB seems low at such a volume setting.
What were you listening to? - one of the musical sections of One More Time with Feeling, the Nick Cave documentary, streaming via Amazon Prime, Dolby Digital

How far away from the speakers are you? - 11'

Did you calibrate the 4520 with Audyssey or ? - It's a fresh Audyssey calibration as of one week ago. I may also try another one just to see. I tweaked some settings on the sub after running Audyssey the last time, I did not adjust levels with test tones and the DB meter after running Audyssey. I will try that too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good call. Something must be wonky with my setup. Unless those speakers are SIGNIFICANTLY less efficient than advertised, I really shouldn't have any problem hitting 100db.
Was the 80dB the peak measured earlier? Or average?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
NHT makes some decent speakers but they are on the lower side of sensitivity. You need higher sensitivity speakers, or maybe active speakers. You might look at some Arendal 1723 THX Monitors for a big increase in sensitivity without a sacrifice in sound quality.

S

sparty

Audiophyte
NHT makes some decent speakers but they are on the lower side of sensitivity. You need higher sensitivity speakers, or maybe active speakers. You might look at some Arendal 1723 THX Monitors for a big increase in sensitivity without a sacrifice in sound quality.
Those look incredible. Do you think I could get away running an Arendal center with the JBL L/R for a period of time until I'm ready to invest in the the rest of the fronts? Just thinking from a cost perspective.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those look incredible. Do you think I could get away running an Arendal center with the JBL L/R for a period of time until I'm ready to invest in the the rest of the fronts? Just thinking from a cost perspective.
You could probably do that. There may be a timbral mismatch, but it may not be easy to notice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis