SVS big price increases!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I was wondering the same things on the JBL 590 for $500 and Infinity R263s for $199 sales that recently occured

Or 530s for $250? Lowest price ever just a week or two ago?

Their margins must be compressed. Everything coming from China is more expensive now as the freight has gone up a lot.

It's really interesting

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as is possible avoiding Far Eastern manufacture pays off. Of the 54 loudspeaker drivers in use in this home 48 were made in Europe or the US. Only 6 were made in the Far East. Of the two sets of speakers I have not in use none of the 14 drivers were made in the Far East.

All the crossovers were designed and made by me in the US, and sourced from components made in the USA or Europe.

Which gets me to the next point. If you are worried about the cost of your speakers, especially subs, then design and build them yourselves.

There is absolutely no need to buy a sub from SVS, HSU etc. no matter that they are good. You can do better. Designing a really good sub is not rocket science and actually pretty straightforward. If you don't have wood shop, you can now find a C & C cabinet maker who will build you well crafted cabinets for very reasonable money.
You can power it with a plate amp, or external amp. You will come out many dollars ahead, and built in the USA, I suspect except for the amp unfortunately, unless you go vintage, but that would be cost you, as above.

Designing the other speakers is a little mow tricky, but most of you cold master it, and have far better speakers, than you have now at less cost.

May be these price rises will be just the incentive many of you need to start designing your own speaker systems.

Not only that you can build more novel designs. You can download a transmission line design program from my website for free. That is the best TL design program available. You will need a crossover modelling program, but that will still not break the bank.

Keeping speaker cost reasonable is in your hands if you think about it. The majority of the best speaker drivers, are NOT made in China!
I wouldn't argue with diy at all but for cheaper consumer electronics (and consumers love cheap) I think you're off fantasizing about the little impact audiophilia has in general. Moving consumer electronics manufacturing in a big way back to the US (let alone England) will need a major shift in economies of scale and is not likely.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was wondering the same things on the JBL 590 for $500 and Infinity R263s for $199 sales that recently occured

Or 530s for $250? Lowest price ever just a week or two ago?

Their margins must be compressed. Everything coming from China is more expensive now as the freight has gone up a lot.

It's really interesting
Just shows more of what kind of margins there were in the first place for the bigger players?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I also wonder if to an extent the expansion of marketing by SVS (into the B&M marketplace and internationally) as well as change of ownership has somewhat come to haunt them when money gets tight or suppliers raise prices, and your logistics expenses climb, etc. Like I said, hard to know unless you actually know by paying the bills....
All excellent points

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Their reputation and resale is really really strong. So they probably have the ability to take pricing. Your right they also are spending more on alternative channels where they have to give margin to the retailers. They have made it to the mainstream. But for people like us, it's irritating :) and should push us to monolith or rythmik, etc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as is possible avoiding Far Eastern manufacture pays off. Of the 54 loudspeaker drivers in use in this home 48 were made in Europe or the US. Only 6 were made in the Far East. Of the two sets of speakers I have not in use none of the 14 drivers were made in the Far East.

All the crossovers were designed and made by me in the US, and sourced from components made in the USA or Europe.

Which gets me to the next point. If you are worried about the cost of your speakers, especially subs, then design and build them yourselves.

There is absolutely no need to buy a sub from SVS, HSU etc. no matter that they are good. You can do better. Designing a really good sub is not rocket science and actually pretty straightforward. If you don't have wood shop, you can now find a C & C cabinet maker who will build you well crafted cabinets for very reasonable money.
You can power it with a plate amp, or external amp. You will come out many dollars ahead, and built in the USA, I suspect except for the amp unfortunately, unless you go vintage, but that would be cost you, as above.

Designing the other speakers is a little mow tricky, but most of you cold master it, and have far better speakers, than you have now at less cost.

May be these price rises will be just the incentive many of you need to start designing your own speaker systems.

Not only that you can build more novel designs. You can download a transmission line design program from my website for free. That is the best TL design program available. You will need a crossover modelling program, but that will still not break the bank.

Keeping speaker cost reasonable is in your hands if you think about it. The majority of the best speaker drivers, are NOT made in China!
I've been doing diy subs for a while now (and have assembled some speakers too, but no designing). Drivers are one thing, a complete avr/integrated amp/amp etc is another matter. Who is buying this stuff is another....it's just a very small market.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Their reputation and resale is really really strong. So they probably have the ability to take pricing. Your right they also are spending more on alternative channels where they have to give margin to the retailers. They have made it to the mainstream. But for people like us, it's irritating :) and should push us to monolith or rythmik, etc.
Don't forget their investment into their in home trial policy, that has a cost, too. I diy my subs already.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m guessing it will be all brands raising prices. Not just SVS.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
And not in just audio products.
Man pandemic related problems, driver shortages, harbor delays, cost increases, and thanks to all the relief packages good ol fashioned inflation. It's all combining to become a perfect storm of sh$ts going to get a lot more expensive.

Man tough time for audio tough time for everyone

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Man pandemic related problems, driver shortages, harbor delays, cost increases, and thanks to all the relief packages good ol fashioned inflation. It's all combining to become a perfect storm of sh$ts going to get a lot more expensive.

Man tough time for audio tough time for everyone
Time will tell. Economics is far from a solved science! :) Might be catalyst for great things/changes maybe not.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Time will tell. Economics is far from a solved science! :) Might be catalyst for great things/changes maybe not.
Any idea where the jbl 590’s are manufactured this line seems to be on sale a lot I know for a while most were built in Mexico no doubt the components were outsourced from the Far East kind of weird that Harmon can produce these that cheaply for markdowns like they do for this particular line and still make a profit .

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Been grocery shopping lately??? $6.00+ a pound for Lean hamburger.......here in Janesville, WI.

I read independent reviews within my budget range to determine what electronic and related are best for me. I like analysis reviews with details.

Many mfg items are OVER priced and never go on sale.......for example. But, if you can afford it, go for it!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Holy crap. If I'd waited until after October 4th to sell my towers I coulda gotten what I paid for them easy... that's a very significant price increase at +$600/pr!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think they are making a huge mistake here. I mean I could see 100 bucks even across the board but 300 each on a speaker? 300 on each sub when many buy multiple. Just my opinion but I think this is a huge, huge mistake.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Supply and demand is a b!tch.
Demand went up, supply is down.
Equals...
Fcuked.
Ships are waiting outside of Long Beach because they can't be unloaded fast enough due to the lack of longshoremen and trucking is screwed because of the driver shortage. Shipped goods are being sent by rail, which screws smaller companies because the big fish get priority on trains, so the small guys need to find alternative methods in order to satisfy their customers. A friend works for a commercial/industrial lighting supplier and he was supposed to be doing something today, but he just texted me that their customers are upset about the delays in supply- it's affecting just about everyone. How Amazon is able to ship quickly is beyond me. I saw that Costco is renting three container ships and thousands of containers, to provide a buffer for their supply chain and have been putting limits on purchases of some items.

This has become a perfect storm of shyte. FedEx has sucked for over a year and my last equipment orders have been late, went to the wrong address, information about tracking was incorrect and some of the people at the FedEx store are totally incompetent. They aren't even requiring signatures for packages!

highfigh

highfigh

I think they are making a huge mistake here. I mean I could see 100 bucks even across the board but 300 each on a speaker? 300 on each sub when many buy multiple. Just my opinion but I think this is a huge, huge mistake.

Should they absorb the cost increase? For how long? If they do absorb it, how long will it take before they have to close? Shipping costs have skyrocketed- call a trucker and get a price if you want to get the real info and that doesn't even address the international cost increases.

highfigh

highfigh

Not necessarily, this might actually even the playing field I would think. I mean if it's hard to build over seas, and getting more expensive to ship to the US. Maybe building here with no shipping issues would make it the same to produce.

Even if the US companies move production to Mexico (and that's where a lot of TVs used to be made), this might be a solution to the "MAKE IT HERE!" problem. We need to employ people, we need products and we need drivers.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Should they absorb the cost increase? For how long? If they do absorb it, how long will it take before they have to close? Shipping costs have skyrocketed- call a trucker and get a price if you want to get the real info and that doesn't even address the international cost increases.
300 dollars a speaker? 600 a pair is a lot of money. All of that is justified with shipping costs? I just think they made a huge mistake, not a small one, a huge one. They have some very loyal customers, me being one, but they have priced themselves completely out of my budget. If others follow them I will understand.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

Iam glad I got my Pb 1000 pros when I did 1250 for the duel set is looking like a hell of a buy now !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis