Tributaries Model 8 XLR

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Would be curious to know if anyone is using this interconnect. I was going to go with an AudioQuest until I actually inspected both and found the Tributaries to be superior. I will be using this cable between the Amp and Pre-Amp (Rotel Michi S5/P5).

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Unlikely to find someone here. Most members believe in the science and not the hype. There are no measurements to show that there is any audible difference between a pair of $383 cables and an $8 XLR cable from Monoprice. What you are paying for is a pretty connector with a pretty exterior casing and a lot of marketing hype. Those cables are for people that value form over function. When a reviewer claims that he/she can hear a difference, that is what they call the placebo effect, or expectation bias. They think it will sound better so they believe it does. Just try and find any independent testing that shows how these cables measure differently. Whether you want to spend that kind of money on looks alone is entirely up to you.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Last time I looked, electrons don't get more chocalately being complimented with BS marketing claims like "single-crystal extrusion" or "quantum-channeling". Electrons are not Wagyu Cattle that require special diets and Sake massages.
Any good quality conductor that is all copper, be it stranded or solid, and perhaps even OFC, is usually all that is needed to move an electrical signal from point A to Point B.
This has been born out time and again in real measurements by true engineers. Gene has done many tests proving as much, and that stuff by Fraudioquest and these other cable charlatans is just a scheme for audiophools with more Dollars than Sense to fall into.

Please. Feel free to spend your money like that if that's what blows air up your skirt. Don't let us stop you. Of course, if you wish to educate yourself on the topic there are many great resources out there by actual scientists and engineers that explain what is necessary for a clean signal path.

Perhaps, start with the former Director of Acoustic Research at McIntosh Labratories and the originator of McIntosh Loudspeakers. :) Certainly, his pedigree has got to mean more than some random marketing claim by companies that usually don't even have trained engineers on their staff!

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
First, I am a cable guy, been making network cables for 30 years. I am of the opinion that if you can't measure it, there's no difference or you're not measuring correctly. With that being the case, I did take both the Audioquest and the Tribs apart at the connection ends. The Audio quest was simply crimped whereas the Tributaries were in fact soldered and soldered very nicely. Based upon my inspection, the Tribs were superior and I like the fact that the actual connectors have locks to stay in place.

If I wanted cheap, I'd make my own. As the saying goes, all systems are only as good as their cheapest component and the last thing I want is a cheap cable interconnecting components that cost 5 digits.

Thanks for your input and there can be differences between cables but you may not be able to hear the difference. We see it in network cables all the time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you buy those silly cables when you can make your own? Fraudioquest nor Tributaries (all the silliness on their home page is a complete turn-off) would get any money from me, as I can easily do better on my own, and sounds like you would be able to as well. No one has ever passed a test on audibility of cables if they're adequate for the job at hand (silly audiophool reviewers don't count).

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
First, I am a cable guy, been making network cables for 30 years. I am of the opinion that if you can't measure it, there's no difference or you're not measuring correctly. With that being the case, I did take both the Audioquest and the Tribs apart at the connection ends. The Audio quest was simply crimped whereas the Tributaries were in fact soldered and soldered very nicely. Based upon my inspection, the Tribs were superior and I like the fact that the actual connectors have locks to stay in place.

If I wanted cheap, I'd make my own. As the saying goes, all systems are only as good as their cheapest component and the last thing I want is a cheap cable interconnecting components that cost 5 digits.

Thanks for your input and there can be differences between cables but you may not be able to hear the difference. We see it in network cables all the time.
Go get some canare L- 4e6s mic cable if you can solder and there’s plenty of places to buy really good xlr ends takes a little time and some research . But in the end you’ll save bucks and have a better product and you might enjoy the process.
There’s plenty of videos on how to on YouTube and other resources. I made my own rca’s useing canare rca’s and canare L-2T2S cable saved a ton and just as good as any snake oil sold and the satisfaction of doing it myself . Your dime Sir !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Go get some canare L- 4e6s mic cable if you can solder and there’s plenty of places to buy really good xlr ends takes a little time and some research . But in the end you’ll save bucks and have a better product and you might enjoy the process.
There’s plenty of videos on how to on YouTube and other resources. I made my own rca’s useing canare rca’s and canare L-2T2S cable saved a ton and just as good as any snake oil sold and the satisfaction of doing it myself . Your dime Sir !
As far as connector brands, hard to go wrong with Neutrik....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

So, you just like the better mechanical junction connection? Perhaps there are other interconnects with soldered junction? Perhaps Blue Jeans cable?
Interesting saying you posted. Seriously doubt it applies.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
So, you just like the better mechanical junction connection? Perhaps there are other interconnects with soldered junction? Perhaps Blue Jeans cable?
Interesting saying you posted. Seriously doubt it applies.
Thanks for the input and bringing Blue Jeans in the conversation as I do have BJ XR interconnects on one of my other systems and do plan to do a comparison once I get into the new digs and settled.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the input and bringing Blue Jeans in the conversation as I do have BJ XR interconnects on one of my other systems and do plan to do a comparison once I get into the new digs and settled.
What does a comparison entail particularly? Just an examination of physical connections?

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
What does a comparison entail particularly? Just an examination of physical connections?
Basically yes. Did it side by side. The difference was apparent. You can see both the wires and the connection points.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
As far as connector brands, hard to go wrong with Neutrik....
Agreed for xlr use I’ve got a box of them made up somewhere when I was useing DBX eq’s in my rig years back . Nice well built connectors very heavy duty stuff !

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Sorry to be late to the discussion. I do have a viable suggestion as I've just been down this road.

See Posts here

(Silly as their name is). Go with WBC (WORLDS BEST CABLES) but pick the ones using Mogami 2549 (Black) wire and Neutrik NC3MXX-B & NC3FXX-B Gold XLR Plugs.

We used these Balanced Interconnect Cables between an Audio Research Reference 1 Preamplifier and an Audio Research Ref 600 Amplifier. (Both high end Tube units). These WBCs replaced some (ultra expensive) MIT Cables that seemed to have failed. I like the fact these WBC have no "boxes" of electronics on each end (like the MITs) and are built from good Mogami 2534 Cable, with Neutrik connectors. First class Quality but for the price, I'd expect a woven protective cover over the cables. But technically, I have no quibble with them, and would likely buy them again.

The price for a 10 footer has dropped $6 since I bought them in August. Now only $29. I think they are superior to Blue Jeans, and Monoprice => but you pay a bit more for them.

10 Foot - Balanced Microphone Cable CUSTOM MADE By WORLDS BEST CABLES - using Mogami 2549 (Black) wire and Neutrik NC3MXX-B & NC3FXX-B Gold XLR Plugs

Good luck with your choice.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Gene DellaSala is one of the few that has the necessary equipment to measure these things. Have you seen his review of the Audioquest 72V DBS speaker cable? You could also ask this question on the Audio Science Review web site forums where they also have the required equipment. I see nothing wrong with getting something nicer than a Monoprice or Bluejeans cable, but when they get into the hundreds and thousands of dollars you are paying mostly for looks and marketing hype. I also would not compare network cables to audio cables. Cables behave differently in the gigahertz band and have different requirements. Connector locks are a nice feature and it sounds like the Tributaries are well made. I just like people to understand that there will be no audible difference between that and a $30 Neutrik. In the end, it's whatever makes you happy, as long as it's an informed decision that is not clouded by false claims from some of the more questionable manufacturers.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I think Maxine is looking for a better mechanical connection, not crimped. Solder will give you that.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
The WBC cables are soldered: From the website =>

• Custom Made 10 Foot long cable professionally soldered using WBC's proprietary 4% silver solder blend & a nitrogen-assisted soldering process unique to us, exceeding industry standards, improves integrity of solder joints over traditional methods.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

The WBC cables are soldered: From the website =>

• Custom Made 10 Foot long cable professionally soldered using WBC's proprietary 4% silver solder blend & a nitrogen-assisted soldering process unique to us, exceeding industry standards, improves integrity of solder joints over traditional methods.
Wow, it is truck pulling contest ready. ;) :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Wow. Someone asking about exotic cables, but really just wants a well made cable. That's different, and I like it.

BJC seems to be one of the better brands of cable out there, but if you want a quality pre-made cable, but aren't opposed to going with pro-audio type stuff, Mogami makes a good product. I'd be curious to see what your impressions of them are.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Here's the latest from WBC (last Thursday) when I advised them I liked the cables, but thought they should come with sleeves in that price range:

"You are most welcome and we really appreciate hearing from you.

At present our assembly center is closed due to the pandemic. But we will be reopening next Monday and will check whether any of the sample fabric braided shields we have is a match for the 2534 wire. If yes, going forward you can contact us and we can make a custom assembly by incorporating those sleeves.

As for the price, it would result in a few dollars (single digits of course) of increase when a sleeve is used. While being super affordable compared to the likes of MIT Cables, our Mogami cables are even affordable than what is offered by Marshall Electronics (Marshall sells Mogami products directly under the Mogami name while we use our own brand name for the final assembly). Please take a look at what Marshall offers. We guarantee you that we have the lowest priced Mogami cables anywhere."

So if you want "high end" cables without breaking the bank, IMHO WBC should be on your list for consideration.

( @lovinthehd may be happy as he was saying I should have contacted them about getting this done - but I was too impatient.)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis