SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer Breaks the Small Size Barrier with BIG Sound

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I do wonder what size space this little sub can pressurize. Its great that it will be reviewed so buyers are informed on what it can do.
Maybe you missed…shady won’t be reviewing it. Frankly I don’t personally care. This thing has zero interest from me, and I’d rather see a review of some more…interesting?!?! Lol
I also wish SVS didn’t put the 3000 series label on it considering it’s the smallest sub they make. It gets confusing when people see 3000, and also SVS’s typical fanfare making it seem like this thing will knock you off the couch all while remaining half a cubic foot. It’s like a blose wave radio for subs. Barf…

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I do wonder what size space this little sub can pressurize. Its great that it will be reviewed so buyers are informed on what it can do.
Much like my thought on that little DefTech toy, this is clearly in the lifestyle class and meant for scratching that itch for an office or very small apartment. I suspect mor than 750cu.ft and this thing is no different than having a good tower instead of a stand mount.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe you missed…shady won’t be reviewing it. Frankly I don’t personally care. This thing has zero interest from me, and I’d rather see a review of some more…interesting?!?! Lol
I also wish SVS didn’t put the 3000 series label on it considering it’s the smallest sub they make. It gets confusing when people see 3000, and also SVS’s typical fanfare making it seem like this thing will knock you off the couch all while remaining half a cubic foot. It’s like a blose wave radio for subs. Barf…
Definitely agree calling this a 3000 is a bit misleading. They should rename it something like the 2-8 NWS.
Just don’t ask what the NWS means. :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely agree calling this a 3000 is a bit misleading. They should rename it something like the 2-8 NWS.
Just don’t ask what the NWS means. :p
It could mean that if you sit on it, it’s not work safe???

Yeah. The product page says “chest pounding” musical bass. Sure…
I can see this as useful under my desk(no reference to the ahem, nws thing lol). The 5.1 system in my bedroom also doubles as my desktop 2.1/pc work space. But not for 800 buck. That’s a Fukkin joke. SB2k pro for the same wins for me.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Is it true that when you do "upfront" an review about a product, and that the review turns out bad (in the case of the 3000 Micro, we can speak of product that cannot produce good subwoofer measurements, as I now indeed found in the Excel sheet of Brent Butterworth), that it will then not be posted on audioholics?
Just to make sure this is clear: no. IME, Gene doesn't have a problem delivering negative coverage (snake oil cables, Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers as examples), even if it's likely to impact the bottom line. OTOH, writers are expect to be professional and balanced in their assessments, so you're not likely to see "Product X is an irredeemable POS" either.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just to make sure this is clear: no. IME, Gene doesn't have a problem delivering negative coverage (snake oil cables, Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers as examples), even if it's likely to impact the bottom line. OTOH, writers are expect to be professional and balanced in their assessments, so you're not likely to see "Product X is an irredeemable POS" either.
Agreed. I’ve been browsing AH since probably 2005ish? I’ve always thought it was a place that was “call it like I see it”.
Also, imo expecting writers to “remain professional” is sometimes like making sure they give everything a participation medal!!!
Some things should rightfully be called a POS. But on AH at least, most of the gear is of at least enthusiast grade so POS usually isn’t in the vernacular.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry my mistake. No reviews coming, so ya that likely is just a sub that people return or upgrade away from real fast. :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry my mistake. No reviews coming, so ya that likely is just a sub that people return or upgrade away from real fast. :)
For HT, probably so, but remember that people have differing requirements and expectations. No way I can fit an PB2000 or even PB1000 in my den but a 3000 Micro could do nicely for music. It would be good enough for when I'm at my computer without having to go to the expense of something like Genelac. I do agree with others that the 3000 moniker is misleading and that their web site is overly optimistic in how it performs compared to the bigger units.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Some things should rightfully be called a POS. But on AH at least, most of the gear is of at least enthusiast grade so POS usually isn’t in the vernacular.
Indeed, that’s where the selection bias James mentioned comes into play. AH isn’t in the business of reviewing junky $50 sound bars, Bose cubes, snake oil products, etc.

As far as participation trophies go, it may seem that way, but I think of it more as an acknowledgment that we don’t all share a given set of priorities in this hobby. Better to report what a product does well and what it doesn’t, and let the reader decide if that’s a trade off they’re willing to make, vs bashing something that doesn’t fit my particular idea of the way things should be.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
For HT, probably so, but remember that people have differing requirements and expectations. No way I can fit an PB2000 or even PB1000 in my den but a 3000 Micro could do nicely for music. It would be good enough for when I'm at my computer without having to go to the expense of something like Genelac. I do agree with others that the 3000 moniker is misleading and that their web site is overly optomistic in how it performs compared to the bigger units.
But! I bet you could fit an sb2k pro as it’s not much bigger, but definitely better. Lol

Also again, the 3000 thing is wrong. They make it sound like it’s a junior sb3k.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
But! I bet you could fit an sb2k pro as it’s not much bigger, but definitely better. Lol

Also again, the 3000 thing is wrong. They make it sound like it’s a junior sb3k.
I have the SB2k in my recroom. ;) Den is full of crap and needs a good cleaning and reorganizing. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not Worth… er, Squat!
:p

If this little box could take a listener down to an F3 in the mid 30s, then yes, it may be worth having in a music only system using stand mounts that just don’t have that last octave in them.

Otherwise, these little ’Subs’ are solutions looking for a problem.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Indeed, that’s where the selection bias James mentioned comes into play. AH isn’t in the business of reviewing junky $50 sound bars, Bose cubes, snake oil products, etc.

As far as participation trophies go, it may seem that way, but I think of it more as an acknowledgment that we don’t all share a given set of priorities in this hobby. Better to report what a product does well and what it doesn’t, and let the reader decide if that’s a trade off they’re willing to make, vs bashing something that doesn’t fit my particular idea of the way things should be.
Can’t disagree. Just plain bashing for bashing’s sake isn’t productive, albeit fun sometimes! The problem with that is, Joe shmo doesn’t know the difference and most of them come to appreciate being steered away from junk. The other side of that though, is that their expectations are usually different than the anointed. Until they are anointed themselves!!! Lol
In any case, better to er on the side of inclusion rather than exclusion. Again, that’s easy here since most of the gear is at least palatable.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have the SB2k in my recroom. ;) Den is full of crap and needs a good cleaning and reorganizing. :D
I thought I remembered that! Just think. A good cleaning and you might fit a pb2k!!! Lol
Jk. I think you made a good choice.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not Worth… er, Squat!
:p

If this little box could take a listener down to an F3 in the mid 30s, then yes, it may be worth having in a music only system using stand mounts that just don’t have that last octave in them.

Otherwise, these little ’Subs’ are solutions looking for a problem.
I don’t think even Steve Jobs could find a prob for these solutions!
I know, I know, an ass for every seat and all that but still. 800 bucks is ludicrous imo. Ever for putting a cushion on top!!!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The review to come will show this Sub does not defy physics. In other words it's all about pushing a volume of air and small does not do that like big does.
That's true, however, you can still ask the question; if 2x8" equals 11", how well does it perform compared to 11? Since dual opposing brings some extra benefit, it might be better than some 11". In that case, perhaps no one is saying it would defy physics. I've never expected to see 2x8" perform better than 13", I'd see that as unreasonable. But if it comes close or is better than some 11" driver sub, I'm interested. I need a small package.

Also, since KF62 has 2x6", I think it would be fair to compare 3000 Micro with KF92 (it's closer in diameter). In that case, for a single KF92, you could buy 3-4 3000 Micro, depending of the part of the world. Nothing to sneeze at.

One other thing, I appreciate SVS not slapping the 11Hz spec on their product. @shadyJ Has a point though, it makes no sense to ask if 3000 Micro can perform as well as 3000, but can it perform as good or better than other 11" subs (this time I mean the 11" box).

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
"We intend to see for ourselves and show you the results; stay tuned to Audioholics for a review of the SVS 3000 Micro. "

Where is the review then? I'm still waiting for it, I need proper measurements before I can buy such a product. I'm waiting for it since March 19.
SVS has free 30 or 60 day in house trial with free return shipping if you don’t like it. I’d just one and see how you like it. If you don’t like it then return it. Like said below, it is very close to the sb1000 in output, but in a slightly smaller form factor. If you need to save every inch of space possible, then this sub should be on your shortlist. The only other good small subs I’m aware of, other than KEF (which is twice the cost for likely similar output) is JL audio, which are also quite a bit more expensive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis