Ignoramus needs specific product recommendations

K

kyle4570

Audiophyte
The attached images represent two speakers and a subwoofer that were given to me. I am utterly clueless as to what I need to purchase in order to utilize them.

The subwoofer is Paradigm PS-1000 and the speakers Paradigm 7seMk3. Doesn't matter what the quality or reputation of the gear may be...I am sure they will be superior to the nothing we owned before.

I am so clueless in this domain that I am looking for someone to point me to product links for someone's opinion of good, better and best with respect to all the wires/cables, receivers and whatever else is required. For the receiver, my only spec is that I'd like something with Bluetooth capability so I can stream from phone or PC to the speakers. I would also eventually feed the hard-wired audio from a TV, Cassette Deck and Record Player to the receiver.

Since this request is of the "I'm lost, please tell me what to do" variety, I am willing to compensate someone for their time and effort. This gear has been laying around the house for a year and my wife is telling me "find a way to use it, or get rid of it".

Thanks for your consideration.

Attachments

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
The speakers and sub you have are good quality kit, definitely worth using.
Post pics of the speaker & sub fronts with the grills off if you have any concerns on condition.

For a Reciever look at Denon 750H (also available at Costco if member/nearby)

To use BT, for wires you just need speaker wire & subwoofer cable.
The speaker wire can be as simple as standard lamp cord from your hometown hardware store or inexpensive speaker wire online from Monoprice.

Get a 10 ft subwoofer cable, unless you know you need longer, also at Monoprice.

To connect the other devices use:
Cassette Deck and Turntable will use RCA male to male wires, also available at Monoprice.

TV will use either a RCA like above or an Optical Cable.

Wire and cable lengths depend on your physical setup. Generally speaking, 3 ft or 6 ft work well.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
K

kyle4570

Audiophyte
The speakers and sub you have are good quality kit, definitely worth using.
Post pics of the speaker & sub fronts with the grills off if you have any concerns on condition.

For a Reciever look at Denon 750H (also available at Costco if member/nearby)

To use BT, for wires you just need speaker wire & subwoofer cable.
The speaker wire can be as simple as standard lamp cord from your hometown hardware store or inexpensive speaker wire online from Monoprice.

Get a 10 ft subwoofer cable, unless you know you need longer, also at Monoprice.

To connect the other devices use:
Cassette Deck and Turntable will use RCA male to male wires, also available at Monoprice.

TV will use either a RCA like above or an Optical Cable.

Wire and cable lengths depend on your physical setup. Generally speaking, 3 ft or 6 ft work well.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback. That's an excellent start, but forgive me for my continued bamboozelement. I would think that the bare copper wire would run from the left and right speakers to the receiver Front (R) and Front (L) connectors...and those twistable red and black plastic things on both look like you stick bare wire in there and tighten, yet the speakers have two sets of red and black each while the receiver has one set for Front (R) and one for Front (L). Also, the subwoofer has two sets of red and white RCA style connectors...High Pass Output and Low Level Input...how does that relate to what wiring I run from the subwoofer to the receiver? If, as a starting point, I'm just looking to stream sound via Bluetooth to the system, will all 16 of the connections/ports on the speakers and sub be utilized?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You would connect to the lower pair as the upper is connected by the rod. Unscrew the nuts to reveal holes to insert bare wire. A receiver with a subwoofer pre out would connect to the subwoofer’s low level(R Mono) input.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can use bare wire ends or add banana plugs for the receiver and speakers, but you only need use one speaker cable for each L/R channel....the extra set of terminals on the speakers are for bi-wiring or passive bi-amping, neither of which have any particular benefit, more about silly marketing. The sub pre-out on the receiver would connect to one of the low level inputs (sub is a mono signal), generally the left one. You can use a splitter to use both low level inputs on the sub, but not necessary. The output rca plugs and the speaker/high level inputs are for older gear that don't have a sub pre-out.

M

Mojo Navigator

Junior Audioholic
Start here, a recommendation from a reliable and independent reviewer:

You can begin to listen to music immediately (it has Bluetooth), at a low initial cost ($80). Later, as you learn what you prefer, you can upgrade if necessary. Later, if you want to stream high resolution music from your computer, you can add a DAC (digital to analogue converter).

If you upgrade components, this humble amplifier can be used in a bedroom or second system.

After all, it's about the music not the gear.

Last edited:
K

kyle4570

Audiophyte
Thanks for your help, all. I've got some stuff being shipped to me and will let you know how it all goes. I should be listening to Iron Maiden at levels unbearable to my wife in no time.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
“Nightmares, now we rest in peace!” “Yeah, that was f#%kin’ tough!” At least, that is what my best friend and I heard at the end of the song when we played it in high school.:D

K

kyle4570

Audiophyte
So my stuff came in and something annoying is happening. I purchased the Denon AVR-S750H 7.2-Ch x 75 Watts A/V Receiver w/HEOS. Twice, I have gone through the setup routine, and the test tones play through the left and right speakers and the subwoofer just fine.

But in actual use, the subwoofer is doing nothing at all. True with sound from TV, Bluray and streaming through the Denon HEOS app.

I have an single end RCA cable going from Sub Out on the receiver to Low Level Input L (or R) on the subwoofer.

Any ideas?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you enabling a sound mode/upmixer in the avr that will use the sub for 2.0 audio? Are your speakers set to small?

ps Do you have a bluray disc and you get nothing in the way of LFE from the .1 channel?

K

kyle4570

Audiophyte
There was a setting in Subwoofer mode, that when switched from LFE to LFE+Main, solved the issue. Now, here comes the Iron Maiden!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There was a setting in Subwoofer mode, that when switched from LFE to LFE+Main, solved the issue. Now, here comes the Iron Maiden!
LFE+Main, aka double bass, can make the sub work even if speakers are set to large....but does somewhat double up on the bass frequencies, but that might be something you prefer. I'd try it both ways (i.e. with speakers set to small and using just the LFE mode).

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Make sure your lfe crossover is at 120 hz and raising speaker crossovers to at least 80 hz is a good place to start. Also raising the sub gain/lev in the AVR should help also. Also trying dynamic eq helps with bass at lower listening levels .

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Music won't be as punishing as movies with speakers set to LARGE. When speakers are set to LARGE, you are telling the receiver that you have front speakers that can handle the full range of signals from any source and it sends a full range of signals to those speakers. That is why it sends nothing to the Sub unless LFE+Main is selected. Most speakers, big towers or not, simply cannot handle ultra low frequencies from multichannel movie tracks. I agree with @CajunLB and would set the speakers at SMALL with an 80hz crossover and a LFE LPF of 120hz. You may very well notice an improvement in sound as the bass signals won't be muddied up. It gets confusing because the Sub is actually pulling double duty when handling the exclusive LFE channel that can go up to 120hz and any information below the selected crossover for the front speakers. Music doesn't usually dig very deep so a LARGE setting won't kill them but don't play "Ready Player One" or "Aquaman" at high volume with those speakers set at LARGE or you may be sorry. Using the 80hz crossover will take some of the heat off of the Denon as well, literally. Have fun!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis