Physical media and music sales..

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's an interesting read..

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
If it is something I really like, I'll buy the media (CD) and rip it. If it is something I find myself interested in, I'll download it first, see if I like it and then purchase the media and rip it.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
yes but from my tablet which is awkward at best. Thanks.
Here to help. ;)
The numbers are interesting. I still prefer downloads or CDs that I can rip, though, for new material. LPs are now limited to thrift store finds of older material. If I buy a brand new LP, I can't easily put it on my phone or play it elsewhere, and I don't like to pay for multiple copies on different media. Any increase in sales is good for the industry but I don't expect my kids to fight over my vinyl or tape collection.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I admire Garth Brooks LP releases at $12.99 at Walmart why can't other established artist follow suit? His latest Album is a (((3))) record set at $15.99! Yes Thrifting is the only way to get great albums for cheap. Seems also Cassettes are getting big as well. Amazing times.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If it is something I really like, I'll buy the media (CD) and rip it. If it is something I find myself interested in, I'll download it first, see if I like it and then purchase the media and rip it.
Anyone else buy Japanese imports? I find it interesting how the Japanese still put a lot of effort into CD releases. My one Band-Maid CD came with a 50 page picture booklet. Another included a DVD/blue-ray of bonus material. Another blue-ray included a booklet, button and plastic folio as bonus material. They are big on throwing in things for fans that pay extra for physical media and still market CD singles as well. Has anyone seen that approach for any North American bands?

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Anyone else buy Japanese imports? I find it interesting how the Japanese still put a lot of effort into CD releases. My one Band-Maid CD came with a 50 page picture booklet. Another included a DVD/blue-ray of bonus material. Another blue-ray included a booklet, button and plastic folio as bonus material. They are big on throwing in things for fans that pay extra for physical media and still market CD singles as well. Has anyone seen that approach for any North American bands?
I have a couple of Jeff Beck CDs (There and Back & Blow By Blow) from Japan. No extra content however they are excellent sound quality wise.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've gotten a few of the multich SACDs out of Japan recently. They do concentrate more on the packaging/content aside from the disc it seems. Haven't noticed any particular quality differences, kinda like imported vinyl often didn't back in the day...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I did buy a physical disc this week.

I found a good used copy of American Beauty from the Grateful Dead on DVD-Audio 5.1 for $20.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I have a couple of Jeff Beck CDs (There and Back & Blow By Blow) from Japan. No extra content however they are excellent sound quality wise.
The extra content likely applies to current bands looking to please their fan base. It's common to have the bonus material in limited release. Not such a big deal for booklets but one release I wanted included a video disc from a live concert, no longer in print. Prices for that are now crazy high.

I have Blow by Blow on an original LP. Now I'm dating myself. :D Interestingly I recently found a copy of Box of Frogs (self-titled album) at an antique shop. Saw on the back that Jeff Beck recorded a lot of the lead guitar for them so I picked it up. Only $5 and in very nice condition. Will give it a spin this weekend.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Box Of Frogs were formed by the remnants of the Yardbirds of which Beck was a member of at one time. Sold all my LPs back in the 80s when CDs came out and I was PCSing while in the USAF since it was easier to sell them than move them, sold well over 500 LPs for 20 cents on the dollar. Had LP copies of Wired, Blow By Blow, There And Back, Jeff Beck Group. Jeff Beck is a phenomenal musician if you like him. Live At Ronny Scott's is a really great release, his band for those gigs was top notch and the media is recorded in an outstanding manner.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Box Of Frogs were formed by the remnants of the Yardbirds of which Beck was a member of at one time. Sold all my LPs back in the 80s when CDs came out and I was PCSing while in the USAF since it was easier to sell them than move them, sold well over 500 LPs for 20 cents on the dollar. Had LP copies of Wired, Blow By Blow, There And Back, Jeff Beck Group. Jeff Beck is a phenomenal musician if you like him. Live At Ronny Scott's is a really great release, his band for those gigs was top notch and the media is recorded in an outstanding manner.
That was a very sizeable collection. I only have maybe half as many LPs but understand your reasoning. Mine have been moved about the house and were in storage for a few years but I am finishing up a wall unit in the recroom and built a cupboard for permanent storage. Also picked up a Project turntable last year after my linear tracker started acting up. It's more for nostalgia and occasional use as I rely mostly on my digital library now and use Roon.

Yes, always enjoyed Jeff Beck and Steve Morse and the like. Have not heard that live album though. I'll have to keep an eye out for it, thanks.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I bought a vinyl LP which came with a bonus CD, made in EU (European Union, probably made in either Netherlands or Germany), Ella & Louis, Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong, original recorded 1956. The bonus CD is exact same tunes as the LP and includes 8 bonus tracks of their Decca duets.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis