Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There's some interesting news on the topic of drugs that could be used to treat people with Covid-19. Most, if not all, of the recent candidates have focused on their ability to inhibit replication of the RNA virus geneome. So far, none of them have worked well enough to get beyond preliminary lab studies.

Today I read about what may be a more successful approach. It was already known that proteolysis (enzymes that cut proteins) plays a crucial role in the life cycle of SARS-CoV-2, as it does in most positive-sense RNA viruses. Inhibitors targeting both viral and cellular protease enzymes have previously shown the ability to inhibit SARS-CoV-2 replication in cell culture models. Here the authors at the University of Liverpool (in the UK) and the Institut Pasteur (Paris, France) present the first comprehensive study of proteolysis during SARS-CoV-2 infection, and its implications for antiviral intervention.

Two drugs used to treat cancer, Bafetinib (experimental) and Sorafenib (now approved to treat kidney and liver cancer) inhibited SARS-CoV-2 virus replication, at concentrations that did not result in cytotoxicity (cell death) in a human cell-line model of infection. The methods described in this paper are now being used to look for more drugs with possibly greater anti-viral activity that also can be safely used in patients. Hopefully, at least one of them can be developed to treat people already infected with SARS-CoV-2.

The popular press version is here:
Here is the link to the Nature paper itself:
I always prefer reading the version as it appears in print instead of the online version:

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
It's not 'just like the flu', but I'm not very confident that the vaccines are as effective as they say, although they do seem to limit the severity of the infection in those who have been vaccinated (which is the whole point, right?). However, seeing that people who contracted the virus & recovered, received the shot(s) afterward and were exposed to the Delta variant are having worse complications than those who weren't infected before receiving the shot(s). A friend (he's 66 years old) got the J&J shot and was infected- he said it took a long time to be 'back to normal', although he has suffered from Asthma for most of his life. I knew several people who were said to have died from COVID and most had some kind of serious medical condition before or were older than 65.
It's interesting how many Herman Cain award winners were very confident in the effectiveness of their natural immunity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/comments/przbcl

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
OK, that's fine for Albertans, but you and they aren't in the US, where many people will not get the vaccine because of the tests on their people in the past- have you heard about what was done WRT Syphilis research at the Tuskegee Institute? Look into that. Also, look at the underlying health conditions in the US, like rampant morbid obesity, Diabetes, kidney and heart diseases, effects from long-term smoking, etc. The diet of far too many people is abhorrent because of fast food being more appealing than cooking (even though most of it is total crap) and in some places, people eat at fast food places three times a day. I would be very surprised if the US data doesn't show a higher than average death rate but my reasons for distrust have to do with the back-pedaling and contradictory comments from Fauci, the FDZ, CDC, WHO and China.

I got my shots, now they say we need more.
Yes, I'm aware of the Tuskagee experiment. Mistrust of the vaccines has no bearing on their effectiveness and location of use is not relevant. Sure, individuals' health will probably have some influence on outcomes, but that's universal. Canadians aren't paragons of healthy lifestyles, so I wouldn't look at that to explain differences.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the average Albertan is relatively fit and healthy. In the 50-59 year old category, there were 12.7 vaccinated people per 100K population admitted to hospital with COVID. Meanwhile, 420 unvaccinated people per 100k were admitted (33-1 ratio).

Let's pick a different state/province where the average person is relatively unfit and unhealthy. Assuming similar rates of vaccination to Alberta, but due to the poor health of the populace, we might see 25 vaccinated people per 100k admitted to hospital. And, also due to poor health, we might then also see 825 unvaccinated people admitted, for a similar 33-1 ratio.

Of, course that's a made-up comparison, but I think it illustrates the point I'm trying to make. Due to all kinds of variables, we will see different outcomes in different jurisdictions. But, there is no question in my mind regarding the effectiveness of these vaccines.

The US does have a higher death rate, but that's due more to higher per capita case numbers and lower vaccination rates. As for boosters, for the general population, the jury is still out.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
That sub is scary. The count of people who made fun of all this that are now dead just keeps rising. I just don't understand how people can just pretend this isn't real. :(
It's very bizarre. It seems as if there are about 50 or so anti-vaxx/anti-mask "greatest hits" memes that get repeated constantly on social media, and there is a sizable portion of the population that apparently trust their life to these wacky memes. I had wondered if there might be some actual substance to some of the anti-vaxx stuff floating around on social media but it's just the same infantile garbage repeated over and over again.

In many cases people who have recently died of COVID were posting things like "Take your vaccine and shove it!" just 3-4 weeks ago. Many of them are quite young, and they are leaving behind children, often without either parent.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It's very bizarre. It seems as if there are about 50 or so anti-vaxx/anti-mask "greatest hits" memes that get repeated constantly on social media, and there is a sizable portion of the population that apparently trust their life to these wacky memes. I had wondered if there might be some actual substance to some of the anti-vaxx stuff floating around on social media but it's just the same infantile garbage repeated over and over again.

In many cases people who have recently died of COVID were posting things like "Take your vaccine and shove it!" just 3-4 weeks ago. Many of them are quite young, and they are leaving behind children, often without either parent.
It's having the effect of raising the US national average IQ – very slowly.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That sub is scary. The count of people who made fun of all this that are now dead just keeps rising. I just don't understand how people can just pretend this isn't real. :(
Social media, paranoia and feeling threatened by government forcing people to do things. The confidence in the US government is very low- the approval rating of Congress hasn't exceeded 30% is a long time. Also, there are too many experts on social media to ignore because what they write may seem plausible to them (or, it goes straight over the heads of the readers and "They seem smarter than me, so it MUST be true, right"?). FB has plenty of memes with something like "When I have a legal problem, do I hire a lawyer? No, of course not- I go straight to FaceBook". Same with medical issues. When I injured my knee in June, I went straight to a clinic to have it checked but I also watched videos on YouTube, but skipped the ones that weren't made by doctors and real physical therapists- I could have eventually reached the same point of rehab, but it would have taken far longer and only by coincidence. I wouldn't go to FB for that anymore than I would go there for advice about structural engineering but if I look hard enough, I KNOW I'll find someone who's qualified for that.

If it wasn't real, millions of people wouldn't have become ill but some people must have some level of immunity, or they couldn't have treated so many without some kind of symptoms.

highfigh

highfigh

Oddly enough, I just saw this on FaceBook- (accredited to Anthony R Mack, Jr)

The donkey told the tiger, "The grass is blue."
The tiger replied, "No, the grass is green ."
The discussion became heated, and the two decided to submit the issue to arbitration, so they approached the lion.
As they approached the lion on his throne, the donkey started screaming: ′′Your Highness, isn't it true that the grass is blue?"
The lion replied: "If you believe it is true, the grass is blue."
The donkey rushed forward and continued: ′′The tiger disagrees with me, contradicts me and annoys me. Please punish him."
The king then declared: ′′The tiger will be punished with 3 days of silence."
The donkey jumped with joy and went on his way, content and repeating ′′The grass is blue, the grass is blue..."

The tiger asked the lion, "Your Majesty, why have you punished me, after all, the grass is green?"
The lion replied, ′′You've known and seen the grass is green."
The tiger asked, ′′So why do you punish me?"
The lion replied, "That has nothing to do with the question of whether the grass is blue or green. The punishment is because it is degrading for a brave, intelligent creature like you to waste time arguing with an ass, and on top of that, you came and bothered me with that question just to validate something you already knew was true!"

The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on discussions that make no sense. There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand. Others who are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and the only thing that they want is to be right even if they aren’t.

When IGNORANCE SCREAMS, intelligence moves on.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
It is difficult to make accurate predictions, especially about the future (and, I would add, even more difficult with regards to the future of the COVID pandemic). Nevertheless, I'm hoping the predicted declines in cases and deaths turns out to be correct.

>>>The delta surge appears to be peaking nationally, and cases and deaths will likely decline steadily now through the spring without a significant winter surge, according to a new analysis shared with NPR by a consortium of researchers advising the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.<<<

1632323284700.png

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It is difficult to make accurate predictions, especially about the future (and, I would add, even more difficult with regards to the future of the COVID pandemic). Nevertheless, I'm hoping the predicted declines in cases and deaths turns out to be correct.

>>>The delta surge appears to be peaking nationally, and cases and deaths will likely decline steadily now through the spring without a significant winter surge, according to a new analysis shared with NPR by a consortium of researchers advising the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.<<<

View attachment 50433

Just my opinion, it will takes years for this to be over. As people fail to ge vaccinated and as the huge crowed events take place, and states push for tourist all for the dollar, covid will be around and people will die. As long as this virus continues to mutate, we might never see it over. We ALL no doubt will get it one day, and just maybe the vaccine will protect us, or the ones that got vaccinated from dying, but I see covid hanging around until either all the people without the vaccine are "dead" or got it and survived with the anti-bodies, or people start getting vaccinated to build some immunity to covid, including children.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Just my opinion, it will takes years for this to be over. As people fail to ge vaccinated and as the huge crowed events take place, and states push for tourist all for the dollar, covid will be around and people will die. As long as this virus continues to mutate, we might never see it over. We ALL no doubt will get it one day, and just maybe the vaccine will protect us, or the ones that got vaccinated from dying, but I see covid hanging around until either all the people without the vaccine are "dead" or got it and survived with the anti-bodies, or people start getting vaccinated to build some immunity to covid, including children.
My assumption is that COVID will essentially be similar to Influenza and that shots will be developed on yearly basis based upon the way the virus evolves. To your point, it won't be going away and humanity will simply have to adapt to it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

You did 1214 pushups in one day? I want video.
How did you feel the next day?
Felt just fine.
Did 600 about a month before and 300 similarly some month before that.
Not all at once, but in spurts of 20 to 60, mostly 40 every 4 - 10 min apart or so. Stopped for dinner and our usual TV programs in the evening and another 150 or so before bedtime.
No video just made a running time and count record on paper.
On line, others have done more but most/all are younger. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

View attachment 50433

Thanks for posting that article. I saw it this morning, and my first thought was "I sure hope they're right!" My second thought came a bit later as I read the whole article, where it said:
The modelers developed four potential scenarios, taking into account whether or not childhood vaccinations take off and whether a more infectious new variant should emerge.

The most likely scenario, says Lessler, is that children do get vaccinated and no super-spreading variant emerges. In that case, the combo model forecasts that new infections would slowly, but fairly continuously, drop from about 140,000 today now to about 9,000 a day by March.
So those predictions may come to be, but only if their assumptions that 1) children get quickly vaccinated, and 2) no new highly infectious variants appear, are correct.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but right now I wouldn't make any bets on those predictions.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

It is even scarier as they don't pretend but do believe. Realization hits home too late.
Today's news showed a 25 year old in Wyoming with a newborn in the same boat, and now is dead.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It is even scarier as they don't pretend but do believe. Realization hits home too late.
Today's news showed a 25 year old in Wyoming with a newborn in the same boat, and now is dead.
There is a post on there today basically talking about how nobody want's that sub reddit to exist. None of the people that are members WANT to see people dead, but they do want to show how many people pretend it's not real, or not that bad and end up leaving kids without parents. It's really sad when random people on the internet care about people's kids more than they do. I quoted it below.

For everyone who is appalled beyond description at what a bunch of sickos we are for having created this sub Reddit, let’s review how it has all transpired.

1. In the early days of the pandemic we had a President who, because he was worried it would make him look bad, said that COVID was going to go down to zero cases soon and it would disappear “like a miracle.” He was supported by a huge right wing media machine that basically said it was all a hoax, or “just the flu”, while actively kneecapping any actions taken and protocols instituted to slow the spread.
  2. Taking their cues from the same President and RW media machine, countless people decided that masks were the most horrific oppression ever and that having to temporarily alter their lives in any way, in order to save fellow citizens from dying a horrible death, was a form of tyranny they simply would not tolerate.
  3. Have repeatedly had to listen to people, with no medical or scientific training, say that doctors, infectious disease experts and the CDC are all liars. While also being told by these people that, amongst other possibilities, a medicine for lupus, a horse dewormer, ingesting bleach and shoving a UV light up your a$$ are all viable options to fight COVID.
  4. Have watched in horror as Republican governors across the nation, who don’t want to upset Trump, have not only not done anything to protect people, but have taken actions that have dramatically increased the rate of COVID transmission.
  5. Defying all odds, the country was presented with a vaccine created in record time by infectious disease experts with some of the most sophisticated research technology on earth. It was then offered free of charge to every citizen 12 and older, only for tens of millions of people to refuse to take it because of (insert bullsh!t reason here). All while they created memes comparing it to slavery and the Holocaust, vilified Dr. Anthony Fauci as the greatest mass murderer since Josef Stalin, and called the rest of us sheep for doing the socially and morally responsible thing.
  6. Are now in the midst of a variant that is, again, overwhelming hospitals. Only this time it is heavily favoring anti vaxxers as far as who it cuts down. A variant that we might not have had as severely if these a$$holes had gotten vaccinated in the first place.
  7. And, despite 18 months of having our lives turned upside down and almost 700,000 dead, we are STILL being inundated with messages from various right wing personalities, religious groups, and social media, that COVID is a big Bill Gates conspiracy, the vaccine is the mark of the beast, vaccinated people are responsible for the causing Delta variant, and all kinds of other bullsh!t that utterly defy comprehension.
Sorry if the HCA offends some of your delicate sensibilities. You had well over a year to get your sh!t together and be responsible adults during a historic time of national crisis and you blew it time after f*cking time. And now the chickens have come home to roost.

This sub Reddit is a consequence of the anger and frustration rest of us feel by repeatedly suffering because of your hatred, your ignorance, your irresponsibility, your lack of compassion and empathy and your childish defiance that you all wear like badges of honor. At least until you end up in the ICU on a ventilator, then suddenly it’s all “COVID IS NO JOKE!” and begging for Prayer Warriors to save them and for people to donate to their GoFundMe to pay for their hospital bills.

All these things, as well as others too numerous to mention, have made this dark place we’re in possible and has allowed for the creation of something like the HCA. So, if you’re looking for someone to be outraged at, just take a look in a mirror.

You created this, now live with it. F*ck your feelings.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis