What has Gillette done?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Today's rant is on the subject of razor blades. I'm talking strictly about wet shaving. If you shave electric and like it, no need to read further.

Personally, I like wet shaving, and have done that ever since 1971. As a teenager, I shaved with an electric razor and hated it. I had a heavy beard, was shaving everyday by age 15, but was too inexperienced to know anything else. Once I started wet shaving and got used to it (Yes, there is a learning curve!) I realized it was much better.

I used Gillette razors exclusively. They were cheap and easy to find. At first, I used the Gillette Techmatic razor, and liked it. For those not familiar, there was a replaceable cartridge head with a long razor blade band inside. Rotate the handle on the back, and you've got a fresh razor blade. At first they had the equivalent of 5 fresh blades, and later had 10. I liked the flexibility of that razor band.
1631896600871.png
1631896378900.png

Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s, Gillette phased the Techmatic out, replacing it with the newer Track II razor. When I couldn't get them anymore, I reluctantly tossed out the Techmatic handle and got a Track II handle. I didn't like it as much because the razor head/handle assembly was rigid. But, I eventually got used to it. Shaving is definitely a matter of getting used to the tool in your hand.

Time went on, and Gillette did the same thing with the Track II, replacing it with the Atra, and later the Sensor handle. The Sensor, and later the Sensor Excel had the advantage of a razor head that rocked (swiveled?) a bit as you shaved. It provided some of the flexibility I had liked with the old Techmatic.

Time continued to march on. Gillette, once an independent shaving company, was bought by Procter & Gamble, a large soap, cosmetics, and consumer products company. Prices went up, and too many new razor gadgets and shaving cream products appeared. It was confusing trying to learn what was what.

Sometime in the last year or two, I wasn't paying attention, Proctor & Gamble phased out the Gillette Sensor and Sensor Excel razor handles and replacement blades. The most recent blades I bought were unusable, so bad in quality that I tossed the first blade of the 10-pack, trying the 2nd and 3rd. They were all no good. I had to throw out the entire package. The package said it was Gillette, but the blades obviously looked different from the older blades I had known for many years, and they were obviously poor at shaving. It would have been better if Gillette stopped selling it's older line of blades. Instead they sold poor quality, imitation junk. Can I trust any Gillette product?

So what does an old wet-shaving fan do? I don't much like the idea of switching to one of Gillette's newer 3 blade or 5 blade razors. Five blades! Seriously? I'm pretty sure I don't want or need a razor with more than 2 blades. There are new brands sold only through the internet, but I have to wonder the same about them as I now do for Gillette – are they any good?

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I've been wet shaving for decades as I found the electric one unpleasant and inefficient *) to use. While some have the typical five-o'clock-shade mine is more like a Sunday-shade. I just shave every few days or so, and none the wiser.

*) I originally wrote difficult to use, but changed my mind for obvious reasons :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The Sensor 3 is still on their web site. But I've been using the Pro Glide and Mach 3 and haven't noticed any change in quality. I just like the shave a 'Wet" shave gives me. Heck I own a Braun Series 9 I have to use on my neck due to the scar from surgery and radiation burn scars. But to me, wet shave works the best.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@Swerd
Nowadays I exclusively use Dorco razors. I also have thick and stubborn beard hair for what it's worth.

I found Dorco from discussions on AH too! Do some searching, may have been in the really boring threads, at least most likely in the steam vent threads.

Regardless, this topic came up on here, and it was mentioned that Dorco was the OEM for Dollar Shave Club, and that they are good quality and can be purchased direct from Dorco for less $.

I have been really happy with them, been using them for many years now. However, the last time I needed to restock, it looked like they no longer sell direct and I had to purchase through Amazon. When I was purchasing direct, I would typically load up for around ~$100 and I would be all set for a couple years.

I typically go for the 4 blade or 6 blade versions. The 6 also has a single blade on the reverse side for "detailed trim work". I do agree that 6 blades seems silly, but they are nice (if not necessarily "better").

It has been a long time since I used a Sensor/Sensor Excel, but by my memory, my Dorco handles seem similar where the razor head has a little bit of pivot action.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed with the crap of an electric razor, no good for me! The few times I tried one, it did more pulling out of my hair vs. actual cutting of hair.

Now, sometimes I will use electric clippers as a first-pass before coming back for a wet shave. That works fine.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I refused to go beyond two blades, went from Track Two to Sensor over the years. Then, after getting fed up with the price of cartridges and with a thought to reducing waste, I went with an old-fashioned safety razor. Blades are dirt cheap in comparison with the multi-blade cartridges, and there's less waste. I'm satisfied with the shave I get, as well.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Sensor 3 is still on their web site. But I've been using the Pro Glide and Mach 3 and haven't noticed any change in quality. I just like the shave a 'Wet" shave gives me. Heck I own a Braun Series 9 I have to use on my neck due to the scar from surgery and radiation burn scars. But to me, wet shave works the best.
I looked at their web page, and to me it looks like P&G's marketing MBAs have run amok with Gillette. There are way too many different shaving creams and lotions. How can they be so different? I think they're trying to flood the shelves in stores with their products, at the expense of their competitors.

The Sensor 3 is a disposable razor – good if you travel – or have lots of girlfriends. I may have to suck it up and try a Mach 3 razor. But the 5 blade Pro Glide is unthinkable. "Pro Glide", really? The last I checked, no one ever paid me to shave. I'm strictly an amateur shaver.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@Swerd
Nowadays I exclusively use Dorco razors. I also have thick and stubborn beard hair for what it's worth.

I found Dorco from discussions on AH too! Do some searching, may have been in the really boring threads, at least most likely in the steam vent threads.

Regardless, this topic came up on here, and it was mentioned that Dorco was the OEM for Dollar Shave Club, and that they are good quality and can be purchased direct from Dorco for less $.

I have been really happy with them, been using them for many years now. However, the last time I needed to restock, it looked like they no longer sell direct and I had to purchase through Amazon. When I was purchasing direct, I would typically load up for around ~$100 and I would be all set for a couple years.

I typically go for the 4 blade or 6 blade versions. The 6 also has a single blade on the reverse side for "detailed trim work". I do agree that 6 blades seems silly, but they are nice (if not necessarily "better").

It has been a long time since I used a Sensor/Sensor Excel, but by my memory, my Dorco handles seem similar where the razor head has a little bit of pivot action.
I'll have to look into Dorco. Thanks for the tip.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed with the crap of an electric razor, no good for me! The few times I tried one, it did more pulling out of my hair vs. actual cutting of hair.

Now, sometimes I will use electric clippers as a first-pass before coming back for a wet shave. That works fine.
This... If I wait to long to shave, I have to use clippers first.
I've been using Gillette since I started shaving. Sensors, Excels, Machs, Fusions...
More blades, more money... and fewer cartridges to boot. :rolleyes:

I haven't had any particular problems shifting between their styles over time, though it seems the old Sensor Excel was better than the Mach 3 or whatever when it came to shaving my dome; thus I used to keep both on hand.
Now I am firmly in the Fusion Camp.
Still, better than Schick IMO.

Played around with some electric razors over the years... Never had a very good shave with any of them. Norelco always seemed to work best for me, but I couldn't shave on subsequent days due to razor burn from them... I'd shave with a Gillette one day, do a touch up with the electric 2 days later, then wait 2 days to shave with the Gillette again. Annoying. Stopped using it.
*shrugs

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I like the Mach 3 but someone inside Gillette got a severe case of the stupids a number of years ago and the replacement blades price was riased into the realm of ridiculous. I used up what I had and then tried Harry's. While I found the Harry's three blade head to be bulky and unwieldy, the fact it was less than half the price of the Mach 3 made me adjust.

I've changed to the Costco Kirkland brand of 3 blade razors. While I thing handle is ok, I am much happier with the size of the head compared to Harry's. I've had good longevity with the blades as well.

I've tried electric razors and they just don't give me as good of a shave. I have thick tough facial hair that grows fast. I forgot I had an electric and was surprised when my wife brought to the rehab hospital after my stroke. The thought of wet shaving using my bad right hand was not pleasant. You know, bad stroke affected hand holding a device containing sharp razor blades against my neck... Thankfully, My right hand had recovered well and I'm back to wet shaving.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@Swerd

Interesting. I'll have to look into those.

Brings up something too in that we used to have a lot of cool, random threads like this. I remember the food thread. That was a good one. Lots of random knowledge in there.

We need more of that here.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
~Around the 5 minute mark this guy gets down to the nitty gritty: Mach 3 Turbo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I went from a Mach 3 to a Mach 3 Turbo and felt that shlipperiness first hand. Thing works piss-ah as they say around here. The last time I used shaving cream it gave me a rash ... like 10 years ago. I got a weak beard so once a week in the shower or just after works. This fancy facial cleanser I got my hands on works best of all as a lube but that probably wouldn't work on all your guys' orc hair. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis