Is there any place to get Sony Minidisc decks repaired?

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
After a year of not using my Sony MDS-JB940 Minidisc deck, I had just purchased some blank discs from amazon.co.jp, and I discovered that the deck can no longer play or record. It's an age-related faiure called "Error Code C13".. I had only ever used the home deck as a recorder; to record discs for playback on my portable player (Sony MZ-N420D). Fortunately, I can still play my hundreds of already existing discs on the portable.(though I had to clean battery ooze off the portable player's battery contacts).
As for the non-use of the equipment during the past year, during the pandemic, there were almost no circumstances under which i would use a portable music player. And the increasing price of the blank discs had deterred me from recording any new discs.(It cost $57 after DHL shipping to buy Ten 80 minute "Victor" (AKA JVC) discs from Amazon's Japan site.)
Yes, I also own a portable CD player, but I'm reluctant to risk scratching my CD's by using them on a portable basis. As for my iPOD (160GB), it failed a few years ago, and the iTunes library on my iMAC is corrupted(songs disappeared, but are still listed.Fortunately, I didn't lose the music.It is taken from my CD collection.). As for buying a high resolution portable audio player, I had recently considered buying Sony's $1200 model but while it is ostensibly available, in reality it is out of print and not available. Only a functionally identical $3200 gold plated version is available. The Sony players' strong point is that its system of loading music into the player is MAC-compatable.
I'm not a repairman, so do you guys know of anyone who can repair the MDS-JB940? Buying a used Sony Minidisc deck, would likely yield a unit that is close to failing from the same problem that affects my unit. As i've discovered, electronics products can fail from simply sitting idle, not being used.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
After a year of not using my Sony MDS-JB940 Minidisc deck, I had just purchased some blank discs from amazon.co.jp, and I discovered that the deck can no longer play or record. It's an age-related faiure called "Error Code C13".. I had only ever used the home deck as a recorder; to record discs for playback on my portable player (Sony MZ-N420D). Fortunately, I can still play my hundreds of already existing discs on the portable.(though I had to clean battery ooze off the portable player's battery contacts).
As for the non-use of the equipment during the past year, during the pandemic, there were almost no circumstances under which i would use a portable music player. And the increasing price of the blank discs had deterred me from recording any new discs.(It cost $57 after DHL shipping to buy Ten 80 minute "Victor" (AKA JVC) discs from Amazon's Japan site.)
Yes, I also own a portable CD player, but I'm reluctant to risk scratching my CD's by using them on a portable basis. As for my iPOD (160GB), it failed a few years ago, and the iTunes library on my iMAC is corrupted(songs disappeared, but are still listed.Fortunately, I didn't lose the music.It is taken from my CD collection.). As for buying a high resolution portable audio player, I had recently considered buying Sony's $1200 model but while it is ostensibly available, in reality it is out of print and not available. Only a functionally identical $3200 gold plated version is available. The Sony players' strong point is that its system of loading music into the player is MAC-compatable.
I'm not a repairman, so do you guys know of anyone who can repair the MDS-JB940? Buying a used Sony Minidisc deck, would likely yield a unit that is close to failing from the same problem that affects my unit. As i've discovered, electronics products can fail from simply sitting idle, not being used.
With any CD player, there is no risk of scratching the disc surface, as there is absolutely no physical contact with the disc surface. What reads the recording is a laser ray so you should not worry about that situation.

In fact, what usually damages the recorded surface on a CD is mishandling and subject it to dust or liquids. I hope that you know that we should always handle CDs by the edges, and keep our fingers away from the playable surface.

As for repair of your Sony product, why don't you try to contact Sony about your problem. They might help.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Pretty much no repair men left!

I did a search and find the C13 code means the laser lens is fouled. Apparently cleaning discs do not work, so you have to take the machine apart and clean the lens with soft cloth, dampened with isopropyl alcohol. Also look for other debris in proximity to the lens. One guy apparently had a hair hanging around. Also make the the ribbon cables are properly seated, they can come loose apparently.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I recently went to play with my old minidisc player but the battery had gone wild and corroded beyond my ability to clean or at least to get working after cleaning. Sold it on the asr classifieds quickly with my blanks and recorded stuff...the guy got a bargain just on the recorded stuff IMO but useless to me otherwise.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
YouTube is the modern DiY miracle...

There are other videos out there as well, but you should be able to gain some confidence and dig in yourself. It's not as hard as it once was.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis