Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, this brings me back. It's funny, my millennial niece is just now hearing all this 80s music because her office plays an 80s station all day.
Now this just makes me feel OLD....:(

But yeah, I was a huge HoJo fan -- especially when his debut LP hit, Human's Lib. I have that on vinyl, too. Always loved "What is Love," "New Song" and a host of others that never made it to the radio. I bought Human's Lib and Dream Into Action when they first came out.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Now this just makes me feel OLD....:(

But yeah, I was a huge HoJo fan -- especially when his debut LP hit, Human's Lib. I have that on vinyl, too. Always loved "What is Love," "New Song" and a host of others that never made it to the radio. I bought Human's Lib and Dream Into Action when they first came out.
Yeah, I know--old. I showed Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" during a bag lunch at my old office years ago. One of the youngins said, "It's OK, for old music my dad likes." On the plus side, it's nice to see millennials (my niece) now listening to music I grew up with. And movies like Guardians of the Galaxy have introduced oldies like "Rubber Band Man" to my nephew. He loves it.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I know--old. I showed Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" during a bag lunch at my old office years ago. One of the youngins said, "It's OK, for old music my dad likes." On the plus side, it's nice to see millennials (my niece) now listening to music I grew up with. And movies like Guardians of the Galaxy have introduced oldies like "Rubber Band Man" to my nephew. He loves it.
That's cool; wish me and the missus had kids of our own to share this music with (and hopefully get them hooked on) but, yeah, all these old albums and acts really make me wonder where all the damn time went...

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That's cool; wish me and the missus had kids of our own to share this music with (and hopefully get them hooked on) but, yeah, all these old albums and acts really make me wonder where all the damn time went...
Have to admit I get a lot of satisfaction seeing my daughter play Yes - Fragile or getting into my Red Delicious CD. While she did play some Hilary Duff and Ciara when she was young, I'm glad that she got more into local bands and alt-rock when she got older. She still has some of my albums on her iPhone but she has also introduced me to a lot of bands that I may not have found otherwise, like Said the Whale, Pond, Tame Impala, Find the Others and St Vincent to name a few.

Would like to find a copy of that Howard Jones albums. Do you like Heaven 17? I still like to spin Luxury Gap now and then, especially for Crushed by the Wheels of Industry.

EDIT: Might as well through in a link. This song is fun to listen to if just for the production.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, I knew from the first 15 seconds I would like that first Black Foxxes track, Badlands. @Pogre did you have a listen?
I am right now and finding it very listenable. Nice bass, she's got some attitude and the song has a nice tasteful touch of heavy to it. Thumbs up!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I am right now and finding it very listenable. Nice bass, she's got some attitude and the song has a nice tasteful touch of heavy to it. Thumbs up!
Yeah, love the sound of the bass on that song. I linked to a Heaven 17 song above, Crushed by the Wheels of Industry. It's very retro electronic dance music, not in your wheel house at all :), but I have always loved the production on this number. Throws a nice wide and full sound stage. I recommend one listen through just to check out the mix and maybe get a curious look from your spouse.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Have to admit I get a lot of satisfaction seeing my daughter play Yes - Fragile or getting into my Red Delicious CD. While she did play some Hilary Duff and Ciara when she was young, I'm glad that she got more into local bands and alt-rock when she got older. She still has some of my albums on her iPhone but she has also introduced me to a lot of bands that I may not have found otherwise, like Said the Whale, Pond, Tame Impala, Find the Others and St Vincent to name a few.

Would like to find a copy of that Howard Jones albums. Do you like Heaven 17? I still like to spin Luxury Gap now and then, especially for Crushed by the Wheels of Industry.

EDIT: Might as well through in a link. This song is fun to listen to if just for the production.
I wish we had children, especially now since I lost my mom last weekend. I envy you.

I don't think I'm familiar with Heaven 17...

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I wish we had children, especially now since I lost my mom last weekend. I envy you.

I don't think I'm familiar with Heaven 17...
So sorry to hear that. We lost my wife's mother not too long ago and it's still a big adjustment, especially for my father-in-law. Going to be a rough Christmas this year.

You might be more familiar with The Human League who recorded "Don't You Want Me" and "Love Action". Two members split off to form Heaven 17. "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry" is my favorite but their biggest hit in the UK was "Temptation" and in the U.S. "Let Me Go". Like The Human League they use a lot of synthesizers and drum machines.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Started tonight listening to a bunch of Rolling Stones albums....Aftermath, Some Girls, Sticky Fingers, Tattoo You, Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.....then Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story, Unplugged and then Rod singing some more on Jeff Beck's Truth.....

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
So sorry to hear that. We lost my wife's mother not too long ago and it's still a big adjustment, especially for my father-in-law. Going to be a rough Christmas this year.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, as well, Eppie; my wife lost both her parents in the time we have been together. And they passed around the holidays, too, which was her favorite time of year....so it's always hard on her with every passing year. It's horrible.

Was your wife close with her mom? Is her dad now living by himself?

Again, my condolences.

You might be more familiar with The Human League who recorded "Don't You Want Me" and "Love Action". Two members split off to form Heaven 17. "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry" is my favorite but their biggest hit in the UK was "Temptation" and in the U.S. "Let Me Go". Like The Human League they use a lot of synthesizers and drum machines.
Oh, yes, of course I'm familiar with The Human League! Absolutely LOVE their single "Human," not so much the track they're known for, "Don't You Want Me."

I didn't know about that spinoff project....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, as well, Eppie; my wife lost both her parents in the time we have been together. And they passed around the holidays, too, which was her favorite time of year....so it's always hard on her with every passing year. It's horrible.

Was your wife close with her mom? Is her dad now living by himself?

Again, my condolences.
Yes, she was pretty close even though we live in another city about an hour away. Her parents sold their country property to her brother and her parents lived on the main floor, so her dad continues to live there with his son & daughter-in-law occupying the lower floor and his grand daughter in an upstairs apt, so we're keeping close tabs on him.

Oh, yes, of course I'm familiar with The Human League! Absolutely LOVE their single "Human," not so much the track they're known for, "Don't You Want Me."

I didn't know about that spinoff project....
One of my favorites from The Human League is Love Action. The Heaven 17 music was not as big a success but I still like the Luxury Gap album very much, especially for the production values. The vocals really pop and the synths and electronic drums give the music a lot of punch. One of those recordings that really comes alive when you get some volume behind it.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Been listening to the new one by Halsey, If I Can't Have Love, I want Power. Now, I know nothing about Halsey (thought she was married to Elon Musk, but that turned out to be Grimes) and never heard any of her music (that I am aware of) but I received an email from the Nine Inch Nails news letter saying Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross "contributed" to her new album. This piqued my interest. Plus, the album cover is quite impressive:
if_i_cant_have_love_i_want_power_album_cover_1620.jpg

It turns out, this is, in fact, a Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross album with some chick doing vocals ala How to Destroy Angels, where Trent's wife, Mariqueen Maandig provided vocal duties (no doubt after nagging hubby - "But Trent, I want to sing!").

The music itself on If I Can't Have Love... is really good. I am not a very "lyrical" person and usually don't care what the vocalist is trying to convey and it is true here: this is some young lady singing about crap I have no interest in. I am, though, very interested in "tone" and I generally prefer the tone of female singers over male (with exceptions, of course) but Halsey just does not have an appreciable tonality for me (in fact it is rather grating - but not in a good, punkish way) and I sincerely hope they release and instrumental version as that would be awesome.

I'll give it a solid 7.5 out of 10, based on the music alone. Here is a semi-interesting interview about how this all came about:
I think it is hilarious in that Trent and Atticus are these mature, well spoken gents and Halsey is all, "Like, you know, it was, like, you know?" Totally...

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Been listening to the new one by Halsey, If I Can't Have Love, I want Power. Now, I know nothing about Halsey (thought she was married to Elon Musk, but that turned out to be Grimes) and never heard any of her music (that I am aware of) but I received an email from the Nine Inch Nails news letter saying Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross "contributed" to her new album. This piqued my interest. Plus, the album cover is quite impressive:
View attachment 50302
It turns out, this is, in fact, a Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross album with some chick doing vocals ala How to Destroy Angels, where Trent's wife, Mariqueen Maandig provided vocal duties (no doubt after nagging hubby - "But Trent, I want to sing!").

The music itself on If I Can't Have Love... is really good. I am not a very "lyrical" person and usually don't care what the vocalist is trying to convey and it is true here: this is some young lady singing about crap I have no interest in. I am, though, very interested in "tone" and I generally prefer the tone of female singers over male (with exceptions, of course) but Halsey just does not have an appreciable tonality for me (in fact it is rather grating - but not in a good, punkish way) and I sincerely hope they release and instrumental version as that would be awesome.

I'll give it a solid 7.5 out of 10, based on the music alone. Here is a semi-interesting interview about how this all came about:
I think it is hilarious in that Trent and Atticus are these mature, well spoken gents and Halsey is all, "Like, you know, it was, like, you know?" Totally...
FWIW NIN actually produced the album so they probably had a lot of influence. I haven't listed to it just because I'm not a fan of hers, but I'm a huge NIN fan so I'm torn.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis