Why do we get the upgrade bug?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hold on, just to use this app you need REW first? 20 bucks doesn't get you all the way there? That kinda stinks and REW is way over my head so forget that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
no. You do not need REW (free) and a Umik (~$100) to use the app. The app id Audyssey-centric. Instead of using the reveiver as the brain, the app uses your device as the brain, and directs the initial measurements through your phone or tablet. You then Send the calibration to the AVR when you are done. Other than that, it operates just as Audyssey would otherwise operate.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For those who don't know what Ryan is talking about with midrange compensation, it's an artificial dip in the fr, much like he infamous "BBC dip" that's built into some English made speakers.

Screenshot_2021-08-29-09-07-55_copy_768x480.png

You can bypass that with the app.

Screenshot_2021-08-29-09-13-23_copy_768x480.png

Screenshot_2021-08-29-09-13-29_copy_768x480.png

Screenshot_2021-08-29-09-08-25_copy_768x480.png

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm no genius as most can tell, but just how does Audyssey do all this? Sounds like making miracles happen.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hold on, just to use this app you need REW first? 20 bucks doesn't get you all the way there? That kinda stinks and REW is way over my head so forget that.

No, I was a bit hasty in saying that. There are still some some benefits without having to have high resolution measurements. I agree with Ryan. He was able to make some pretty significant improvements with the app alone.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ok I'm gonna try and see what I can do. I hope I don't waste 20 bucks but I mean what's 20 bucks in the grand scheme of things.
If I download this app now run can I see or fix what's going on with my last Audyssey run or only on a new Audyssey cal?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ok I'm gonna try and see what I can do. I hope I don't waste 20 bucks but I mean what's 20 bucks in the grand scheme of things.
If I download this app now run can I see or fix what's going on with my last Audyssey run or only on a new Audyssey cal?

Dude, just remember to be patient with it. Feel free to experiment. You can save a measurement, then copy it and play with it to your hearts content without messing up your original. :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well I downloaded it and found my receiver no prob. I see you have to run Audyssey through the app to do anything. It doesn't take an already run calibration and fix it. I mean not a huge deal but I'll have to try it out some other day.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well I downloaded it and found my receiver no prob. I see you have to run Audyssey through the app to do anything. It doesn't take an already run calibration and fix it. I mean not a huge deal but I'll have to try it out some other day.

As I said, it becomes the brain, not your receiver. Your device will talk to the receiver, not the other way around. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm no genius as most can tell, but just how does Audyssey do all this? Sounds like making miracles happen.

The main thing is it gives you the ability to make adjustments to your curve much like using PEQ. You can make broad adjustments just by using your finger to reshape that red line for your curve. There's a user made program called ratbuddyssey that works really well with it that allows for much tighter, more precise adjustments.

Audyssey measures your room and uses an algorithm to determine the best way to eq your system as flat as possible within certain parameters. It works really well ime, but I'm able to get better results with some manual tweaking afterwards. Here's what my fr looks like before running Audyssey.

FL-FR + Subs Crossover Overlay-1.jpg

The flatter the line is the better it's going to sound. That's pretty terrible, and my bass sounds like absolute crap without any room correction. This is what it looks like after running Audyssey with careful mic placement, using all 8 measurements.

06-22-20 multeq only-1.jpg

That's pretty damned good for a built in room correction program! This is why I'm always thumping the Audyssey drum. If you're careful with placement, keep your noise floor down and use all mic positions it can really work well. However, as improved as that is, its still +/- 5 dB for an 8 dB variation. Acceptable, but audible. To me it was much cleaner, but lacking a little. Kind of anemic. This is where the manual tweaking comes in.

05-26-21.jpg

Audyssey gets it close and makes it easy to tweak it the rest of the way manually. That's pretty damned flat at +/- 2 dB from 16 hz to 200 hz! Going from chart 2 to chart 3 was an audible difference and felt like an upgrade to me. With a little DEQ and changing my port tuning it sounds really, really good!

06-22-20 house curve.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Yes, you're exactly right. You will need to run a calibration using the app to make a file it can work with. It's worth the time and effort to use all 8 mic positions and follow the pattern recommended. Get your room as quiet as you can while you're at it. Hit me up with any questions or suggestions any time man. I'll be more than happy to help.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
As I said, it becomes the brain, not your receiver. Your device will talk to the receiver, not the other way around. ;)
That is the truth, receiver does not talk to the app.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, you're exactly right. You will need to run a calibration using the app to make a file it can work with. It's worth the time and effort to use all 8 mic positions and follow the pattern recommended. Get your room as quiet as you can while you're at it. Hit me up with any questions or suggestions any time man. I'll be more than happy to help.
Thanks man, I can't wait to give it a try. I always run the full 8 channels when I do Audyssey. To me it's kinda what's the point in setting everything up and then not run the full program.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Here's a good example of the magic. After running Audyssey I still measured a dip at 95 hz and a peak at 120 hz. Just using my finger to reshape the curve in the app I was able to fix both by taking this...

Screenshot_2021-08-29-09-08-25_copy_768x480.png

And doing this...

Screenshot_2021-08-29-09-52-22_copy_768x480.png

That's about as tight an adjustment as I can make just drawing it with my finger. With ratbuddyssey you can make tighter, more precise adjustments.

Screenshot_2021-08-29-09-58-02_copy_768x480.png

I'm not currently using that last one, but it's a decent example of how much more precise ratbuddyssey can be.

Last edited:
G

GotAudio

Audioholic
For me, it only hasn’t been only home audio and theater. I am into Japanese imports and when I had my last car I had the upgrade bug as well. I’ve since sold the car but I put a lot of money into the car while I had it for 10 years. I’m kind of like that with my current car, which is not a sports car, but I just like upgrading my car’s electronics and exterior. To be honest, I kind of think it’s a male thing and not to sound sexist but it’s kind of like women wanting to spruce up the house.

But back to home theater, I don’t log that many hours with my home entertainment center but I still have the upgrade bug, especially because of open box deals at Best Buy.And yeah I’m perfectly content with my system at the moment.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Man I really want to use this app but Sunday with the kid home, not gonna happen with the noise. I'll have to look for the perfect time with some piece and quiet to run Audyssey to see what we can do. It'll be interesting just to see what is going on in my room, that will be interesting enough.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
It's truly a disease that we have in this hobby, why do we all get this urge to upgrade even when we are happy?
Tonight we had people over cause they wanted to see "Jungle cruise" and we have Disney+. System sounded absolutely fantastic, I actually tuned in to just listening and evaluating my HT because I had seen the movie twice already.
The center sounded great, excellent dialog, no issues hearing the voices of the actors. The mains speakers and surrounds working well together sounding excellent. The subs rocking the house big time. It was super fun, loved every minute.
Now I have been getting the upgrade bug for a while now but really, why? It's funny thing right, we all do it, we all go through from time to time?
Just some crazy observations on my part being in this crazy hobby. No particular profound statement or anything.
For me, the bug (at times) comes from wanting to get the same big improvements I did when I went from TV audio to a cheap box surround system, then from the cheap box system to a decent mid level system. I doubt that there are any more really big jumps left, but there's still that urge to look for it. This is probably another way of saying it's a form of chasing the dragon.

The bug also bites in other ways, however. I was tagging along with a buddy at Worst Buy the other day, not really intending to look at anything. I made the mistake of checking out the 83" LG C1 OLED. BAM! The "new TV" bug bit hard! I like OLED and big screens and I can not lie! (Yeah, that was a kinda lame).

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
For me, the bug (at times) comes from wanting to get the same big improvements I did when I went from TV audio to a cheap box surround system, then from the cheap box system to a decent mid level system. I doubt that there are any more really big jumps left, but there's still that urge to look for it. This is probably another way of saying it's a form of chasing the dragon.

The bug also bites in other ways, however. I was tagging along with a buddy at Worst Buy the other day, not really intending to look at anything. I made the mistake of checking out the 83" LG C1 OLED. BAM! The "new TV" bug bit hard! I like OLED and big screens and I can not lie! (Yeah, that was a kinda lame).
Funny you mention OLED, I really, really want an OLED now but I will only go 77 inch or bigger and those are still too expensive for me. Man they are stunningly gorgeous.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've generally been fairly happy with gear I've purchased along the way, made good decisions each time I went shopping for something I wanted. I didn't upgrade just for the heck of it, pretty much only when I wanted something specific I didn't have, plus I generally use the gear I've purchased until it fails, still have much of what I've bought over the years. The upgrade bug is certainly an offshoot of being consumers generally (consumerism so to speak).

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I totally agree with Shady my setup in my old house was fairly budget friendly but damn it sounded good to me and really didn't break the bank at all. But I loved it and wouldn't have made any changes at all. But my parents can't stay in the mountains in the winter anymore so sold my beloved man cave and here we are in the new place.

That old system though 3 JBL 590's up front 4 SVS prime towers as surrounds and 4 rsl c34e's in the ceiling. With a denon X4500 and some used gen 2 emotiva amps I found on the internet and 2 SVS 4000's nearfield

The new RBH system in the theatre room is really that system just more of it. Same dynamics response Soundstage imaging just more of it. But really the same I can honestly say when I got both systems dialed in I love them both very much.

I still miss that old house and setup because it was the first time I got it dialed in just right finally had learned enough to do that

I still like having a side room where I can flip gear though. It's less of an upgrade and more of the pure enjoyment of just trying out new gear and speakers especially. I enjoy for a year flip and then do it again. I want to hear as many speakers as I can in my lifetime I love this hobby
Dan you bring up a good point. You mention how much you like your systems once you get them dialed in. I wonder how much of the battle that is really vs getting upgraded equipment assuming reasonable quality? I kind of think that’s the huge step that makes most reasonable fear sound amazing and frankly maybe not that much different than something more expensive. Yet it’s too
Much fun to alway last be looking for a deal. I do like your idea of having one setup aside to just play with new options while leaving main systems dialed in and set

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis