Some Norwegian DIY systems

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
hi guys I am making a new thread on request from @Pogre, basically these are some snapshots of DIY systems from here overseas

I am completely stunned by the activity going on here is Norway, one guy has a sub setup with 8 24" subwoofer drivers in 85 cubic feet cabinet and 6 15" midbass drivers, another one has subwoofer towers with 16 of the 15" Dayton sub drivers .... there is another setup with 24 of the 10" Seas L26RO4Y drivers in a double bass array setup ... now there is a new upcoming project where one of the concepts is two towers with 4 18" drivers on each side... complementing a set of Vienna Acoustics the music, which already have 6 9" bass drivers.... unreal cool :cool:

There is another one with a slot loaded open baffle set of subs where there is 10 15" drivers on each side, I believe only the subwoofer drivers cash in at above $20.000.... it's said the latter one is king of bass dynamics... :eek:

Sorry guys but The RBH sound reference towers and the large Monoprice subs seem small now ... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Photos coming below

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
First one coming out is from 8x12 Tom, current setup is something like this:

- Bass below 60 Hz: 8 stk. 24" from Precision Devices, amplification, 8 times 500 watt Anaview alc 1000).
- Midbass, 6 15 drivers, Acoustic Elegance TD-15M
- Midrange, 8 6" Morel SCM 636
- Tweeter - Satori TW29BN-B Beryllium
- 3 stereo amps from Dynamic precision drive everything above 60 Hz
- Pc based playback with JRiver. USB to DAC, Lynx Aurora 8, Audiolense er DSP

Main speaker (previous iteration with ribbon tweeter, now satori beryllium tweeter)

Subwoofers #1

Subwooofers #2
About 3000 liter gross volume, 2400 liters net (85 cubic feet), 8 24" drivers

Some measured waterfall plots:
I believe subwoofers go flat in room below 5 Hz.

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Steinar with 16 15" subwoofers, 8 Daytons in the front and 8 more in the back (I don't have photons of the ones in the back)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
As far as I understand, cost of the most expensive of the two top sytems ... about slightly more than half the cost of the complete RBH Sound Anniversary Edition SVTRS Speaker System (for the full system)

More later if you wish .....

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Holy smokes, I just requested some pics! Ha ha. Those are pretty awesome tho. Love the name for the SLOB, lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
First one coming out is from 8x12 Tom, current setup is something like this:

- Bass below 60 Hz: 8 stk. 24" from Precision Devices, amplification, 8 times 500 watt Anaview alc 1000).
- Midbass, 6 15 drivers, Acoustic Elegance TD-15M
- Midrange, 8 6" Morel SCM 636
- Tweeter - Satori TW29BN-B Beryllium
- 3 stereo amps from Dynamic precision drive everything above 60 Hz
- Pc based playback with JRiver. USB to DAC, Lynx Aurora 8, Audiolense er DSP

Main speaker (previous iteration with ribbon tweeter, now satori beryllium tweeter)

Subwoofers #1

Subwooofers #2
About 3000 liter gross volume, 2400 liters net (85 cubic feet), 8 24" drivers

Some measured waterfall plots:
I believe subwoofers go flat in room below 5 Hz.

I've never seen a waterfall plot for bass that perfectly smooth before. That's pretty amazing. Unreal smooth between 3k and 10k hz too. Wow.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I've never seen a waterfall plot for bass that perfectly smooth before. That's pretty amazing. Unreal smooth between 3k and 10k hz too. Wow.
Just look at the bass traps behind the subs ..... that´s no joke :eek:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Some SLOB subwoofer (Slot Loaded Open baffle), with 10 15" drivers on each side
Remember this is a DIY design with 20 drivers, we are talking 156" drivers here yes

Great Plains Audio - 515-8C 15" Low-Frequency AlNiCo Loudspeaker

View attachment 49967
I'd really love to hear these in action. From what I recall one of the big knocks on OB speakers is that they're limited for spl in lower frequencies but can produce super clean bass. I'm guessing having ten 15" drivers goes a long way toward solving that problem...

I was being pretty tongue in cheek when I gave you crap for not posting pics, but I'm glad you made this thread. Those really are some cool builds. Inspiring even. Those top builds are saving a ton of money doing the design and labor themselves, and they look really tight and clean. Professional. Makes me wanna move to Norway... lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What are those cylinders on either side of the electronics in the middle?

20160413_175748.jpg

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
What are those cylinders on either side of the electronics in the middle?

View attachment 49977
I don’t know, they are not there anymore…. I could try to find out …..

There’s more insane systems too…..

Those SLOB subs is said to have unlimited dynamics, and by that I really mean unlimited.
As far as I know, flat inroom to 20Hz (lots of eq)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'd really love to hear these in action. From what I recall one of the big knocks on OB speakers is that they're limited for spl in lower frequencies but can produce super clean bass. I'm guessing having ten 15" drivers goes a long way toward solving that problem...

I was being pretty tongue in cheek when I gave you crap for not posting pics, but I'm glad you made this thread. Those really are some cool builds. Inspiring even. Those top builds are saving a ton of money doing the design and labor themselves, and they look really tight and clean. Professional. Makes me wanna move to Norway... lol.
Except that those GPA 515 woofers are not subwoofers. They don't dig low as their Qts is between 0.20 to 0.25. I know quite a bit about them as they are copies of the woofers built by the defunct Altec Lansing Corporation. I used to own three of their Model 416-8A 15" woofers in my theater system. The 515s are excellent pro audio woofers with excellent transient response due to their low Qts, with sensitivity exceeding 100 dB for 1 watt input at 4 feet.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Except that those GPA 515 woofers are not subwoofers. They don't dig low as their Qts is between 0.20 to 0.25. I know quite a bit about them as they are copies of the woofers built by the defunct Altec Lansing Corporation. I used to own three of their Model 416-8A 15" woofers in my theater system. The 515s are excellent pro audio woofers with excellent transient response due to their low Qts, with sensitivity exceeding 100 dB for 1 watt input at 4 feet.
From what I hear Slot Loaded Open Baffle behave completely different to any other normal configuration, as far as I have read those drivers are among very few on the market that will work well in this configuration. I never listened to them but I am tempted to request for a visit.

with 20 drivers there is not going to be any strain on them I reckon … at any volume

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
From what I hear Slot Loaded Open Baffle behave completely different to any other normal configuration, as far as I have read those drivers are among very few on the market that will work well in this configuration. I never listened to them but I am tempted to request for a visit.

with 20 drivers there is not going to be any strain on them I reckon … at any volume
I think that, with twenty of them, the owner is using a lot of amp power to boost the low frequencies to obtain adequate output down to 20 Hz. The fact that they are slot loaded reduces the risk of having them exceed their XMAX. Moreover, while those 515s have a power rating of 100 watts, they are pro audio drivers that are very conservatively rated and can easily handle peaks of 400 watts each.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"I am completely stunned by the activity going on here in Norway"

From your pictures, so am I. After that I'm about ready to give up my Norwegian genes.

Look at what all that oil money can do. Good grief.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis