Looking for HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps) In wall Cable greater than 25ft

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am putting up a 77 80J Sonly OLED above the fireplace, I thought I might as well upgrade the HDMI inwall to HDMI 2.1. Sony has yet to upgrade their 2 HDMI ports, but it will happen before the end of the year. I have a XB1SX and PS5 so might want to try 120hz gaming. Figured it would be better to upgrade the HDMI cable while the new TV is being put up.

Monoprice seems only to go 15ft, and I am pretty sure I need at least 25ft due to the fireplace chase installed when they built the house.

Any suggestions on cables would be greatly apprecaited. Must meet the HDMI 2.1 48Gbps spec and be in-wall and at least 25ft.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am putting up a 77 80J Sonly OLED above the fireplace, I thought I might as well upgrade the HDMI inwall to HDMI 2.1. Sony has yet to upgrade their 2 HDMI ports, but it will happen before the end of the year. I have a XB1SX and PS5 so might want to try 120hz gaming. Figured it would be better to upgrade the HDMI cable while the new TV is being put up.

Monoprice seems only to go 15ft, and I am pretty sure I need at least 25ft due to the fireplace chase installed when they built the house.

Any suggestions on cables would be greatly apprecaited. Must meet the HDMI 2.1 48Gbps spec and be in-wall and at least 25ft.
You need a hybrid optical/copper HDMI cable for runs that long. I use Ruipro for a 35' run. They are directional as the converters are opposite at either end. I strongly recommend that you use a voltage inserter to power it as the power draw is above HDMI spec. Ruipro pioneered this, and have a good track record. They are not inexpensive.

Make sure you run the cable in conduit. You don't want to damage it, and you want to make replacement easy. There are active devices both ends of the cable, so they could fail. Mine has been running for two years now without problems. For 2.1 you really should be using a powered or hybrid cable for runs over 12'.

Lastly TVs over fireplaces are not recommended, due to heat issues and the TV being much higher than comfortable.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
You need a hybrid optical/copper HDMI cable for runs that long. I use Ruipro for a 35' run. They are directional as the converters are opposite at either end. I strongly recommend that you use a voltage inserter to power it as the power draw is above HDMI spec. Ruipro pioneered this, and have a good track record. They are not inexpensive.

Make sure you run the cable in conduit. You don't want to damage it, and you want to make replacement easy. There are active devices both ends of the cable, so they could fail. Mine has been running for two years now without problems. For 2.1 you really should be using a powered or hybrid cable for runs over 12'.

Lastly TVs over fireplaces are not recommended, due to heat issues and the TV being much higher than comfortable.
Thank you for the information.

Fireplace is a sealed Gas Fireplace that has a fan that blows the heat out, so not as bad as your typical fireplace.
I do have a wide mantle. I am paranoid about heat as well and I never run the fireplace more than an hour at a time in the winter.

I also have an articulating stand that comes out a bit with significant tilt, so while not ideal, it does work out pretty well

Picutred with A8G 65

fireplace.jpg

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
RUIPRO is considered one of the leading brands on HDMI fiber cables. Their price is a bit higher, but their quality seems to also be a bit better overall.

I like the conduit and other suggestions, but be aware that any device in line with HDMI tends to potentially impact the quality of the connection. So, you may not be able to attain 48Gb/s if you aren't doing a true point to point connection. This is just something to keep in mind.

Directionality being something that must be hammered home. Do NOT install them the wrong direction!!!

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I ran two 50' fiber optic/copper hybrid "8K rated" cables from the server closet to the media room in wall. The cables were ran nearly two years before the room was completed and the TV was installed. One of the cables didn't work anymore while one still does. Plan on running two sets of HDMI as well as a set of Cat6 for future 8K HDMI extenders. It will be costly but you need more than basic redundancy when doing things like this.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I ran two 50' fiber optic/copper hybrid "8K rated" cables from the server closet to the media room in wall. The cables were ran nearly two years before the room was completed and the TV was installed. One of the cables didn't work anymore while one still does. Plan on running two sets of HDMI as well as a set of Cat6 for future 8K HDMI extenders. It will be costly but you need more than basic redundancy when doing things like this.
That is why you MUST run cables in conduit. Then you can change a cable in 10 minutes. Tech Tube is your friend now.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
That is why you MUST run cables in conduit. Then you can change a cable in 10 minutes. Tech Tube is your friend now.
Conduit was of no use in my situation. Having fully documented my entire theater build from bare cement basement walls to fully operational theater and media room on youtube channel It's pointless to explain it all again. Conduit is not a end all solution, running extra cables and redundant cat6 backup is the only guarantee.
Conduit only helps in certain situations when it comes to "10 minute" swap outs.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling. 1.5" - 2.0" Smurf Tube with pull strings will make cable upgrades/repairs etc so much easier and safer. Throw in some solid copper core CAT6 cable (non-CCA/CCS and not ethernet patch) and you're good to go. Conduit helps in any situation where you have to swap out cable safely (not damaging the cable connectors or creating too sharp of a bend).

There are ATC certified UHS HDMI cables now at your length, assuming you are running a single cable run, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. Hybrid fiber cable builds are getting better and better but they do take some careful handling, especially in-wall. Good luck.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
RUIPRO is considered one of the leading brands on HDMI fiber cables. Their price is a bit higher, but their quality seems to also be a bit better overall.

I like the conduit and other suggestions, but be aware that any device in line with HDMI tends to potentially impact the quality of the connection. So, you may not be able to attain 48Gb/s if you aren't doing a true point to point connection. This is just something to keep in mind.

Directionality being something that must be hammered home. Do NOT install them the wrong direction!!!
They had a promo yesterday for $161 for the same cable, so I ordered it and saved a few bucks

Last edited:
Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Ruipro is in the process of having their 8k hybrid fiber cables ATC certified for UHS HDMI so you might want to keep an eye out for that if certification is important to you.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
They had a promo yesterday for $161 for the same cable, so I ordered it and saved a few bucks
Glad you were able to save a bit. As @Otto Pylot has been saying, you definitely want to have some way in place to add/remove cables in the future as you need to. Not sure what your accessibility is like in this location. Conduit is a great solution and must be no less than 1.25", but bigger is easier to work with. But, if you have an accessible pathway of other sorts, that's all that really matters. Cables change, standards change, and active cables WILL fail over the years. So, it may be a cable which could last 20 years... or it could fail in six months for some silly reason, but at some point it will need to be replaced, so plan accordingly.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Glad you were able to save a bit. As @Otto Pylot has been saying, you definitely want to have some way in place to add/remove cables in the future as you need to. Not sure what your accessibility is like in this location. Conduit is a great solution and must be no less than 1.25", but bigger is easier to work with. But, if you have an accessible pathway of other sorts, that's all that really matters. Cables change, standards change, and active cables WILL fail over the years. So, it may be a cable which could last 20 years... or it could fail in six months for some silly reason, but at some point it will need to be replaced, so plan accordingly.
When I had the house built, I had above the fireplace pre-wired with conduit, so getting cable in and out is very easy to do. I am happy to remove the Fraudio-Quest cable they originally put in there as its the low end their product line and uncessarily thick.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
When I had the house built, I had above the fireplace pre-wired with conduit, so getting cable in and out is very easy to do. I am happy to remove the Fraudio-Quest cable they originally put in there as its the low end their product line and uncessarily thick.
If you have conduit, then you really are set. It's not always super easy to pull a new cable, but should be straightforward enough.

Certainly not a fan of overpriced cabling, but depending on when it was installed, there may not have been any other realistic option other than a thick cable. I know when I pulled cabling in homes 10+ years ago, the only solution for long HDMI runs was rather thick HDMI cables. My home has some that are around half an inch thick to ensure quality at the distances which were in place.

Now I would use RUIPRO cables and they are super thin comparatively. But, their price is high. I don't really have a problem with the higher price if you get reliability over the distance. Still, I am thinking I may pull HDMI throughout my house, and that's going to cost a bit since I need it for at least 5 TV locations.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If you have conduit, then you really are set. It's not always super easy to pull a new cable, but should be straightforward enough.

Certainly not a fan of overpriced cabling, but depending on when it was installed, there may not have been any other realistic option other than a thick cable. I know when I pulled cabling in homes 10+ years ago, the only solution for long HDMI runs was rather thick HDMI cables. My home has some that are around half an inch thick to ensure quality at the distances which were in place.

Now I would use RUIPRO cables and they are super thin comparatively. But, their price is high. I don't really have a problem with the higher price if you get reliability over the distance. Still, I am thinking I may pull HDMI throughout my house, and that's going to cost a bit since I need it for at least 5 TV locations.
Do all of your TVs use 2.1 HDMI, I only have 2 of my 5. Not upgrading the others for a long time.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Do all of your TVs use 2.1 HDMI, I only have 2 of my 5. Not upgrading the others for a long time.
No, I don't even have 4K at most of my TV locations. I have been using a HDBT matrix which uses cat-5e cabling everywhere. I think the has lower lag across the system, so I may replace the cat-5e extenders with HDMI point to point. It still won't be 4K in most places, let alone 8K, but the cabling I pull will likely be 8K compliant just because it makes sense to go that route when I do all the work.

More likely I'll be lazy and just stick with my current solution.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis