K

kini

Full Audioholic
Wait what!! No huh? I really want to try out Onkyo's RZ50..sure hope it's as advertise without any HDMI issues or crapping out after a year or two.
I've had my RZ820 for 3 years without any issues. Even the eArc, CEC work flawlessly. And unlike many D/M products it can't be used as a space heater. ;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I've had my RZ820 for 3 years without any issues. Even the eArc, CEC work flawlessly. And unlike many D/M products it can't be used as a space heater. ;)
Hopefully it'll be out by September I'll give a try out for sure. If it isn't out by the end of September than Yamaha A4A it is. Here's the thing, Onkyo is rated 4 Ohm load across all channels. Not that I'll need 9 channels I won't 5.1.2 will more than likely be about all I can use in the small living room I have. But you never know, may throw up 5.1.4 just cause I can.. Onkyo's that I have had in the passed especially my THX-NR818 was a beast absolutely loved that AVR. I was totally pissed when it crapped out with HDMI issues. Everything I could throw at it, never once did it shut down from overheating. I was running 4 Ohm loads on 5 channels. Headroom was very good if I remember right at the time was the best I had at the time for a AVR. I pulled out my EMO XPA-5 1st gen amp cause it wasn't any better than what the amp could do in that Onkyo. At reference levels watching movies and 5.2 no difference whatsoever between the amps in the Onkyo. Now for music use two channel only yeah that where that XPA-5 would kick in. I pulled it out of the chain cause at my age or any age for that matter who can listen or should I say shouldn't listen at +0 or above! So yeah wasted money on those EMO amps.

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
As I posted sometime back..
1st shipments will be delayed significantly for multiple reasons..
  • Shortage of crucial internal components including ICs
  • Delayed purchase of internal components due to financial issues
  • Production starts pushed back
  • Extended shipping time due to container shortages and backup of container unloading capability

I hope Onkyo and Voox can work through these in an efficient, timely manner. Their end products and features look incredible... :) Note that for purchase orders placed today for CE products from Far East factories; parts ordering/staging > production > shipment> market arrival to Europe, North America is 7 months or January-2022. This can be shortened by 6 weeks if they choose to air ship but that is significantly more expensive.

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hopefully it'll be out by September I'll give a try out for sure. If it isn't out by the end of September than Yamaha A4A it is. Here's the thing, Onkyo is rated 4 Ohm load across all channels. Not that I'll need 9 channels I won't 5.1.2 will more than likely be about all I can use in the small living room I have. But you never know, may throw up 5.1.4 just cause I can.. Onkyo's that I have had in the passed especially my THX-NR818 was a beast absolutely loved that AVR. I was totally pissed when it crapped out with HDMI issues. Everything I could throw at it, never once did it shut down from overheating. I was running 4 Ohm loads on 5 channels. Headroom was very good if I remember right at the time was the best I had at the time for a AVR. I pulled out my EMO XPA-5 1st gen amp cause it wasn't any better than what the amp could do in that Onkyo. At reference levels watching movies and 5.2 no difference whatsoever between the amps in the Onkyo. Now for music use two channel only yeah that where that XPA-5 would kick in. I pulled it out of the chain cause at my age or any age for that matter who can listen or should I say shouldn't listen at +0 or above! So yeah wasted money on those EMO amps.
Keep in mind that AVR's 4 ohm capability are pretty much always based on setting an "impedance switch (or selector)" to 4 ohm and that would effectively reduce the rail voltage, thereby limiting the output to a much lower level.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I pre - ordered mine and wonder if I am allowed to mention the price.ETA by October :(:mad:

Last edited:
Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
I pre - ordered mine and wonder if I am allowed to mention the price.ETA by October :(:mad:
Are you a vendor or just a normal guy. If normal guy then what's the price otherwise yeah, might need to hold on till you get a green light

kalipher

kalipher

Audiophyte
looking forward to this, rz50. last i heard back in january, onkyo was sol & klipsch was taking over the na distributorship but now i see they have new models, sale on old models and are shipping units. was looking at denon 3700 but would prefer onkyo if they are still making a run at it. my 1030 does not communicate well with samsung 8000 series [tv] or my latest pc build [ryzen 5950x, radeon 6900xt]... it's pretty old afterall. will keep a hopeful eye on this rz50 & onkyo in general

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder how good the preout section is rated to run external amps. Sometimes these avr preouts can be a little light on the output voltage some amps need at 1.2 to 1.5 from the preouts to be driven to there full potential

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder how good the preout section is rated to run external amps. Sometimes these avr preouts can be a little light on the output voltage some amps need at 1.2 to 1.5 from the preouts to be driven to there full potential
My old Onkyo has plenty of pre-out juice, altho "rated" at 200mV (470 ohm) it also specs a max 4.6 V (470 ohm) in the manual (but at unknown distortion level) and many other models had similar in that era....not so sure about more recent stuff, tho. Maybe someone will send one into ASR or something for a test.

PS had a peek at the RZ50 manual, it only specifies 1V/470 ohm on the pre-out....

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My old Onkyo has plenty of pre-out juice, altho "rated" at 200mV (470 ohm) it also specs a max 4.6 V (470 ohm) in the manual (but at unknown distortion level) and many other models had similar in that era....not so sure about more recent stuff, tho. Maybe someone will send one into ASR or something for a test.

PS had a peek at the RZ50 manual, it only specifies 1V/470 ohm on the pre-out....
Yeah that's always my beef with them why provide a preout section that only puts out 1V if you know most amps require higher output then that to be driven hard without clipping?

Never made any sense to me

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah that's always my beef with them why provide a preout section that only puts out 1V if you know most amps require higher output then that to be driven hard without clipping?

Or why provide just a nominal spec instead of something better?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Preamp and power amp's basic specs lack of technical details have always been my beef too, but I do understand manufacturers know full well no matter what they include in the specs, the vast majority of their potential customers would not care, or understand the meaning of the details provided.

Suffice to say the often quoted 1 V preamp output by the likes of Onkyo and Yamaha, are not the "Maximum" output under a specified condition(example: unclipped, load impedance>X ohms etc.).

So that 1 V could have been based on say a standard input voltage of 200, or 200 mV etc..), or for an AVR it could have been based on the output level that would drive the power amp section to their rated output level into 8 ohms.

Either way, it typically does not mean 1 V is all the preamp could manage.
Also, for digital inputs, you may also see 2 V, such as Denon/Marant'z AVRs/AVPs and that 2 V level is obviously based on the DAC IC's output spec, as long as it does not exceed the limit of the volume control ICs.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Preamp and power amp's basic specs lack of technical details have always been my beef too, but I do understand manufacturers know full well no matter what they include in the specs, the vast majority of their potential customers would not care, or understand the meaning of the details provided.

Suffice to say the often quoted 1 V preamp output by the likes of Onkyo and Yamaha, are not the "Maximum" output under a specified condition(example: unclipped, load impedance>X ohms etc.).

So that 1 V could have been based on say a standard input voltage of 200, or 200 mV etc..), or for an AVR it could have been based on the output level that would drive the power amp section to their rated output level into 8 ohms.

Either way, it typically does not mean 1 V is all the preamp could manage.
Also, for digital inputs, you may also see 2 V, such as Denon/Marant'z AVRs/AVPs and that 2 V level is obviously based on the DAC IC's output spec, as long as it does not exceed the limit of the volume control ICs.
So basically that means you just have to measure that preout yourself right? That's the only way to find out am I correct? What's a good way to do that PENG?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So basically that means you just have to measure that preout yourself right? That's the only way to find out am I correct? What's a good way to do that PENG?
Yes, otherwise you can search for bench test reports by AH, HTHF, and ASR obviously.

In general, for AVRs, you shouldn't have to be concerned for D+M's models based on many available bench tests.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, otherwise you can search for bench test reports by AH, HTHF, and ASR obviously.

In general, for AVRs, you should have to be concerned for D+M's models based on many available bench tests.
Yeah Denons preouts have always been solid. I hope this new model from onkyo gets a bench test it's offering a lot for the money

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
FYI for anyone that only saw the 250W rating, that is with only one channel driven (hate it when they use that spec). More typical rating is 120W 2-channels driven into 8 ohms.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis