Perlisten D215s: Is This the Most Accurate Subwoofer on the Planet?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Untitled.jpg
We were left deeply impressed by Perlisten’s S7t in our recent review of that tower speaker (Audioholics Perlisten S7t Review), not just by the superbly neutral response but also by the fantastically low distortion combined with its wide dynamic range. This perked up our interest in their subwoofer line which features an innovative “push-pull” driver alignment. Aside from its state-of-the-art driver and amplifier technologies, the Perlisten D212s and D215s subwoofers also mount the drivers in such a way that can dramatically lower distortion. So how low can distortion be pushed down in a subwoofer? We decided to find out by taking a drive to Perlisten’s headquarters in Wisconsin and testing one for ourselves. Read on to see what we were able to measure from the Perlisten D215s subwoofer!

READ: Perlisten D215s Subwoofer Performance Review

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
No measurements? Aw, shucks.
;)
Thems be my favorite part! :D

Last edited:
B

beaRA

Audioholic Intern
No measurements? Aw, shucks.
;)
Theme be my favorite part! :D
I'm guessing that's a technical error given the wording in the article?

"Before we get into our test results, let’s talk about these subs’ designs and what makes them so special."

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There are measurements. It looks like the second page of the article didn't post. I am sure it will be fixed shortly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, the aluminum voice coil sounds interesting and the justification makes perfect sense to me. In fact, why don't more manufacturers use aluminum instead of copper for voice coils? It seems like you'd have nothing to lose and all to gain from my limited understanding.

Also, the push/pull configuration. Does that create negative pressure inside the box between the 2 drivers when they're in action? Is that what helps with linearity and control?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Okay, the aluminum voice coil sounds interesting and the justification makes perfect sense to me. In fact, why don't more manufacturers use aluminum instead of copper for voice coils? It seems like you'd have nothing to lose and all to gain from my limited understanding.

Also, the push/pull configuration. Does that create negative pressure inside the box between the 2 drivers when they're in action? Is that what helps with linearity and control?
The push-pull creates a positive and negative pressure, but since the drivers are playing out of phase yet are mounted in opposite directions of each other, the pressure that they cause in the sealed cavity helps to reduce the nonlinear travel that only occurs in one direction of the driver's travel. Think of the air as a direct mechanical link between them. If the driver has a problem in the inward excursion, the linear outward excursion from the other driver pushes the problematic inward travel of the first driver into greater linearity. The force of the opposite driver uses air pressure to induce better behavior for the adjacent driver.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is very frustrating. I'm trying to fix it but not having any luck yet.
We understand Gene. We'll be patient a little longer. Say, maybe, another hour... But then it Spears and Torches!

We'll have a Luau while we wait!!! :p

Mmmm... Mai Tais and smokey Kalua Pork, Lau Lau, 2 scoop rice 1 scoop mac, and Butter Mochi...
*drools a little

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There are measurements. It looks like the second page of the article didn't post. I am sure it will be fixed shortly.
Was wondering what happened, thought we were back to the "preview" type article there.....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Was wondering what happened, thought we were back to the "preview" type article there.....
Previews are articles that just cover product announcements and stuff like that. Not as substantial as a full review, but they can put interesting things on the radar of our readers. Nothing wrong with them, so long as you aren't expecting a full review. A full review is a lot of work though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Previews are articles that just cover product announcements and stuff like that. Not as substantial as a full review, but they can put interesting things on the radar of our readers. Nothing wrong with them, so long as you aren't expecting a full review. A full review is a lot of work though.
As long as it's not marked "review" and rather "preview" in such cases to distinguish those with measurements vs those without IMHO. We do appreciate the hits your body is taking on measuring the big subs in any case :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Didn't those specs say 300lbs how in the heck did you get it out there to measure?

D

Dan Nagar

Audiophyte
Please show the measurements and the rest of the review.... we can barely survive here ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
C’mon, guys… he went to the company… they weren’t gonna trust a $9000 subwoofer to a guy posting X-rays of a broken spine! He had gophers!!!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
C’mon, guys… he went to the company… they weren’t gonna trust a $9000 subwoofer to a guy posting X-rays of a broken spine! He had gophers!!!
(Though, secretly, I was hoping for a gif of Shady kicking the Sub over onto its side in their parking lot for the ground plane test!)

;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@shadyJ
That is some high praise!
While you were there, did you get to play around with it in a listening environment?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis