Are these panels legit?

R

RodHQ

Enthusiast
So I came across these on AliExpress, and well, they look great, but are they actually usefull, sonically speaking? The ones I'm are using are great, but they are not great on the aestethic department

Attachments

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’ve looked at panels a couple times thinking putting them a couple different places would give an improvement but I honestly don’t know what the F I’m doing. Not to be rude but the fact that you’re asking gives me the impression you don’t know what you’re doing either. There are some online services where you take pictures of your room and they make scientific (hopefully) recommendations based on your room.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
So I came across these on AliExpress, and well, they look great, but are they actually usefull, sonically speaking? The ones I'm are using are great, but they are not great on the aestethic department
Those graphs don't look right to me. If each layer is 0.35" and they show 5 layers, that's still only 1.75" of material which is insufficient for an absorber. That material would only absorb higher frequencies and reflect much of the mids and all of the bass. The thicker the panel the lower in frequency it goes in absorbing sound. It typically takes 4" of material for a full spectrum absorber. Those panels would absorb the highs and maybe diffract the mids.

If you want something that looks nice, GIK in Atlanta can print any high resolution image on their fabric and turn the panel into artwork. They make panels up to 4" thick and they offer free advice on treating a room. Yes, the panels cost more, but if you want form and function then you have to spend extra.

If you want something cheaper that looks nice, ua-acoustics in the Ukraine ships world wide. Their panels act as absorbers and diffusers depending on thickness.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you weren't looking for acoustic treatments at all and then you saw those and said why not? :) J/K sort of....but so little to go on as to what your goals/use or other questions....

R

RodHQ

Enthusiast
So you weren't looking for acoustic treatments at all and then you saw those and said why not? :) J/K sort of....but so little to go on as to what your goals/use or other questions....
A little bit lol. I was looking for desk stuff and I came across them, wondered if they could be useful in the future, I'm in the process of building so I have no idea what I'm going to need once the listening room is done

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A little bit lol. I was looking for desk stuff and I came across them, wondered if they could be useful in the future, I'm in the process of building so I have no idea what I'm going to need once the listening room is done
I'd just hold off until you have a serious analysis of your room acoustics by someone who actually has some experience, or at least to pass on detailed analysis of room dimensions and speaker positioning.....but I think generally you're overthinking it.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There are some Audioholic videos on YouTube discussing acoustics and room treatments. It's not as simple as it sounds and adding random panels is no better than throwing darts at a picture of your room and hoping the outcome is good. It really is best done with a consultant or at least some analysis like what GIK offer. Gene of Audioholics also offers consulting services through the web page if you're particular about your setup. If it's a new build and you will be putting thousands into equipment, what's another $150 for an hour's worth of professional consultation?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis