billionaire space boyz....

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
so.. i need somebody to explain to me how a spoiled billionaire going into space is somehow a big deal when Chuck Yeager did it 70 years ago.. seems to me this isn't a "final frontier" moment , but a "new playground/ cash grab" by another uber wealthy douchenipple with ocd about playing captain Kirk...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In regards to Branson, I'm not really certain what his expectation is other than fueling space tourism. Considering how long I've been hearing about Virgin Galactic, this is the first time anything has come of it.
On the flipside, what Musk has done, and is still working towards is truly amazing. Even if a human going to Mars is a suicide mission right now... well, so were some of the first Europeans coming across and settling in America.

The Lady could care less about Astronomy, Space travel, etc... and I agree that there is a strong element of why money gets spent there when we can't even take care of sh!t on the ground. But at the same time, Space technologies also have greatly improved some aspects of life on the ground, and perhaps could be a necessity for the future of Earth and/or humans.
Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not... guess it depends on whom you ask and what day you ask it! ;)

Either way, what is exciting about what Branson did is that this is a civilian venture: not government, not military.
Just like the first Falcon to deliver a satellite to orbit, and the first time they stuck a booster landing, too. For SpaceX, the focus is on advancing our capabilities to get to space and do it for much less money.
I am curious to see what comes of the Bezos' effort with Blue Origin as it seems they are following more in the footseps of Musk/SpaceX.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
While I think its a good idea to push some subjects so that they're not just in the shadows all the time (space exploration, funding space projects, finding intelligence/life-evidence, exploring human habitation off-Earth, etc), I unfortunately think silly space-billionaires are not the best way to advertise this stuff, instead, they just evoke sneers from all the non-billionaires who see all the problems around them that literally can be solved with money and instead the billions from these few Dragons (essentially...) are just showing off wealth to other wealthy and pouring big money into stuff basically to then buy into the shares and have yet another pile of gold to sit on (even if it means taking the gold from governments, which is happening and happened with this too).

Sadly, we have always needed to put a human at the front of it to get attention. When you say you're putting a telescope in space, no one cares, no one wants to fund it, it's just lost. But if you say you're putting a human in space for any reason, suddenly people pay attention and wonder what's going on. All of this is just a huge not so elaborate means to advertise something by putting humans in front and out for everyone to see. The things we could have accomplished with that kind of money that was thrown away for this huge advertising campaign would have generated so much actual information and fueled future technology and sped up a lot of processes, but instead, we blew it all to put our rich dragon clowns in space literally just to advertise a business venture.

Very best,

Last edited:
diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
I think this is crystal clear: It's so much easier to complain about other people doing something exceptional than it is to actually put in the immense effort and skill needed to achieve something new.

That you resort to childish name calling and admit to hoping he'd die on this flight says everything we need to know about you.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I think this is crystal clear: It's so much easier to complain about other people doing something exceptional than it is to actually put in the immense effort and skill needed to achieve something new.

That you resort to childish name calling and admit to hoping he'd die on this flight says everything we need to know about you.
i rooted against hitler and sadaam too .. so what's your point skippy?? .. i'm not at all willing to concede anything Branson did here as exceptional

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah , but he got there because he earned it , not bought it...:)
True dat, but don't think the billionaires are doing their own flying either. Chuck barely lived thru his, imagine these guys won't have it so rough :)

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
True dat, but don't think the billionaires are doing their own flying either. Chuck barely lived thru his, imagine these guys won't have it so rough :)
It's billionaires doing a joy ride publicity stunt..the mass media coverage and the wasted money on a stunt bother me more than anything else... Maybe the saddest part is "Richard the hummingbird hearted" will probably see financial gain off this..

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's billionaires doing a joy ride publicity stunt..the mass media coverage and the wasted money on a stunt bother me more than anything else... Maybe the saddest part is "Richard the hummingbird hearted" will probably see financial gain off this..
probably some kind of tax dodge, who can say? :rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well that might work out, or he could just see his $1B expenditure on Virgin Galactic stay just that....and I only noticed he actually did it today in looking up the $1B figure I thought I'd seen earlier. At his age, not bad in any case. I'm sure not as upset as you. Space Force bullsh*t upsets me a lot more :)

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Well that might work out, or he could just see his $1B expenditure on Virgin Galactic stay just that....and I only noticed he actually did it today in looking up the $1B figure I thought I'd seen earlier. At his age, not bad in any case. I'm sure not as upset as you. Space Force bullsh*t upsets me a lot more :)
This little venture itself doesn't bother me as much as the ability of rich dudes to do stuff like this with partial taxpayer funding and free publicity... I'll say it right here , this is a sign that capitalism is eating itself up and way too top heavy to survive..

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
probably some kind of tax dodge, who can say? :rolleyes:
Or maybe billionaires in general are evil little twits..either way we as a planet would be better off if branson blew himself up in one these stunts and his money got put into more pockets.. Basic econ..;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This little venture itself doesn't bother me as much as the ability of rich dudes to do stuff like this with partial taxpayer funding and free publicity... I'll say it right here , this is a sign that capitalism is eating itself up and way too top heavy to survive..
How much was subsidized and by what government? We're a country founded by and still run by rich dudes to a great extent, tho. People like voting for rich dudes, too it seems ;). England, too. I doubt if Branson blew himself up would put more money in your pocket in any case....

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
How much was subsidized and by what government? We're a country founded by and still run by rich dudes to a great extent, tho. People like voting for rich dudes, too it seems ;). England, too. I doubt if Branson blew himself up would put more money in your pocket in any case....
Idk *how much*was subsidized, i figure it might trigger me even further to explore that.. :) .. As far as filtering down to me.. I don't even care, I'm so far down the food chain that the autocrats here at audioholics would assume i'm a taker based on just my lowly income.. I mostly started this thread to see how many spoiled numnuts i could trigger, the list seems to be growing .. Getting rid of one of these guys ( like branson) loudly and on tv would be it's own reward...

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
and for $250,000 a ticket, you to can fly in his space ship.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief

Maybe if he wasn't so damn greedy and donated all of his money people would respect him more. Buffet is doing similar, as well as other billionaires. But hey, who has time to discuss philanthropy when its so much easier to complain about them being worthless lazy billionaires. People are ridiculous.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Maybe if he wasn't so damn greedy and donated all of his money people would respect him more. Buffet is doing similar, as well as other billionaires. But hey, who has time to discuss philanthropy when its so much easier to complain about them being worthless lazy billionaires. People are ridiculous.
I wasn't criticizing Branson in my post. I was criticizing lp85253 for being hateful and childish.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis