Matching speakers for a 5.1 system

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
I bought a secondhand Yamaha reciever capable of a 5.1 system (RX-V373) and a pair of old Bose Interaudio 4000XL I got for relatively cheap. Currently I'm looking for a subwoofer too, and I would add three more channels in the future.

The Bose, I thought about moving them to rear, and getting a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 for fronts. I've read those run quite bright. Would that combination be awkward? The Bose are darn old but in great shape, and I like the looks of them too. The MAB2 are at the top of my budget but should sound much nicer as fronts.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Monitor Audio speakers should be quite good. Monitor Audio makes speakers that tend to perform well.

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
You are bypassing use of a center speaker?
I stopped writing actually so I didn't include that I'm looking for a center piece too. Though, I suppose I will match the center with the fronts, it just makes sense kind of.
Or, how critical is it if I have brand X rear, brand Y fronts and brand Z center? Is it bound to be awkward?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look for a matching center if not a third identical speaker as the left/right (altho television sets can get in the way of that, that's why there are mostly horizontal center speakers). I do prefer matching set all around, but I also have surround setups with very mismatched speakers....and this is more about listening to multich music, which I have a fair collection of....movies and tvs the surrounds not so much.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
The center channel is the most important and spend the money on that. Long story short. I have had matching mains and center channel. I now have a center channel of a different mfg, with nicer clarity and range. @Gil111000 My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis