W

Wabbit

Junior Audioholic
Anyone hear of there? Soundavo IC-640CF. Seems to have a good specs for the price compared to Martin Logan and Definitive Tech in ceilings.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Anyone hear of there? Soundavo IC-640CF. Seems to have a good specs for the price compared to Martin Logan and Definitive Tech in ceilings.

Use these. They are far better and cheaper. I think they are quite the best drivers for ceiling duty in HT.

$66.40 each from Madisound.

You absolutely can't go wrong with those for Atmos ceiling speakers. They are totally neutral and blend seamlessly. I have not heard my four put a foot wrong.
They are my absolute top recommendation.

W

Wabbit

Junior Audioholic
How does it do what it does without a tweeter or enclosure in a ceiling? Still need to mount it.

I'm running a zone 2 out of my theater over a hall that opens to the second floor below to fill the rest of the home music when not in the theater.

I cant find any info on Soundavo other than their amps. As long as the specs aren't lies, they are half the price of the competition. I just have trouble trusting specs and manufacturers that I can't validate somewhere.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

How does it do what it does without a tweeter or enclosure in a ceiling? Still need to mount it.

I'm running a zone 2 out of my theater over a hall that opens to the second floor below to fill the rest of the home music when not in the theater.

I cant find any info on Soundavo other than their amps. As long as the specs aren't lies, they are half the price of the competition. I just have trouble trusting specs and manufacturers that I can't validate somewhere.
I use a 0.25 cu.ft back box filled, but not densely packed with Polyfill. According to my modelling that is the optimal size box.

This driver is the direct descendant of the Jordan Watts modular driver, designed by the famous late Ted Jordan. I ended up getting heavily involved in the development of the JW full range driver. This series of drivers has been the only truly accurate full range drivers. The HF response is actually better than most tweeters.

This is the FR and its honest.

Most other ceiling speaker manufacturers don't even dare publish their FRs, because they would be awful, with a tweeter stuck in the middle of a cone. That is NO way to design a speaker.

You won't go wrong with these. They are superb in conjunction with the Dolby upmixer for music. I have not localized to these speakers once, and they can recreate the ambience of the hall accurately with good surround and rear backs. Yet in movies bullets and aircraft move seamlessly across the room.

This should absolutely be the number one choice of ceiling speaker for home HT. There is no other driver that can come close to matching these for your application.

Here are some pictures of one of my the JW drivers.

I corresponded with Ted Jordan up until his death.

Before Ted Jordan died a few years ago, he allowed a team of engineers to use his patents, as well as his company T. E. Jordan Designs. Mark Audio based in the UK and manufacturing in China is the further development of the JW module. The JW driver was first shown to the public in 1959!

The reason that a tweeter is not required, is due to the unique tractrix cone of spun aluminum, with bands and reduces the radius from which higher frequencies are radiated without abrupt cone breakup, as well as elimination of edge reflections..

Last edited:
C

crheadog

Audiophyte
Great tip on these markaudio drivers. I have a project these will do well for me I believe. I realize these are full range. But, do you use any type of crossover for a front or rear surround? Or just simply let them scream? Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Great tip on these markaudio drivers. I have a project these will do well for me I believe. I realize these are full range. But, do you use any type of crossover for a front or rear surround? Or just simply let them scream? Thanks!
I use for of them for the four ceiling Atmos speakers in my theater. I use them full range. They are in 0.25 cu.ft. sealed back boxes.

They do NOT SCREAM. They sound very smooth.

One of my grandsons has been bringing a bunch of friends over for movie watching, especially Atmos. So far they have not managed to destroy those drivers, which are each driven by 100 watt amp.

As far as I'm concerned they are the best and most ideal driver for Dolby Atmos.

I'm not in the habit of giving top recommendations. But in this case I will. They are the most ideal speaker for Atmos ceiling duty out there. They should absolutely be an Audioholics top recommendation.

Now I have done some fairly extensive modelling of those drivers, and if I were to use them for a bookshelf or floor standing speaker, I would use a first order crossover in the 4.5 to 5 K range. This would be to optimize dispersion characteristics. This is in no way required for ceiling use.

I'm pretty sure a couple of those in MTM arrangement in a properly designed TL or labyrinth, would blow most speakers on the market right out of the water in terms of sound quality.

C

crheadog

Audiophyte
Don't get mad when I say scream. it's just a figure of speech. haha! It's a simple way of describing all frequencies coming thru the speaker at once. Maybe not the best choice of words. I just laugh while reading this post because it was exactly what I needed. I was looking at the Soundavo also, and came across the post. Many people don't appreciate a good DIY project to save money and quite honestly a better sounding way to go at less cost. Although a little extra work mounting a box on the backside of your ceiling/wall. Personally, I don't mind the extra work. Not the best example. But in the late 80's early 90's I started out installing car audio. We were installing med. to low end Peerless, Morell, Eminence, Vifa drivers in cars for some of our higher end customers. Back then those, drivers were as cheap or cheaper than MTX, pioneer, or Alpine speakers and they would also sound far superior (obviously). We designed systems with far less power. Smaller more efficient Japanese or American made amps. You just had to get creative installing them as full range or go with a mid and tweet setup. You know, get creative. But the end, you get a really nice result. no one was doing it back then. We won awards in shows for sound and design and we told very few our secrets. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis