Can this damage my studio monitors?

M

Marcus Aseth

Enthusiast
Hi, I have an SVS SB1000 PRO and a pair of JBL 305p mk2 (studio monitors) on my PC setup. They are connected to each other in this order:
PC -> Audio Interface -> SB1000 -> JBL monitors.
I have read online that in order to not damage the gear, you are supposed to turn ON things going from the signal source up, so in my case I would turn ON the PC first (which also turns ON the USB audio interface), then the subwoofer, then the monitors. Subwoofer and monitors have a dedicated power strip with button each, and turning OFF is in the reverse order, so monitors -> subwoofer -> PC.
Needless to say, is a lot of button clicks.

My question is: would it be ok if I have the SB1000 pro and the JBL monitors sharing the same power strip and turned ON/OFF at the same time, or it would damage the monitors over time?
Does the SB1000 pro have any sort of protection against it? (for example, maybe it doesn't send a signal for 5 seconds after turned on, or something like that...)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I have an SVS SB1000 PRO and a pair of JBL 305p mk2 (studio monitors) on my PC setup. They are connected to each other in this order:
PC -> Audio Interface -> SB1000 -> JBL monitors.
I have read online that in order to not damage the gear, you are supposed to turn ON things going from the signal source up, so in my case I would turn ON the PC first (which also turns ON the USB audio interface), then the subwoofer, then the monitors. Subwoofer and monitors have a dedicated power strip with button each, and turning OFF is in the reverse order, so monitors -> subwoofer -> PC.
Needless to say, is a lot of button clicks.

My question is: would it be ok if I have the SB1000 pro and the JBL monitors sharing the same power strip and turned ON/OFF at the same time, or it would damage the monitors over time?
Does the SB1000 pro have any sort of protection against it? (for example, maybe it doesn't send a signal for 5 seconds after turned on, or something like that...)
Do it in the order they recommend- power strips are made to be used for supplying power, not as an On/Off switch.It's possible that something ahead of the speakers may turn off before them, which could send a pop or thump through the drivers and yes, that could damage them, although the stated frequency range of 43Hz-20KHz (±3dB) tells me that it won't be a big thump.

M

Marcus Aseth

Enthusiast
wish we had smarter tools for handling this sort of things x_x
Like imagine a power strip in which you click a single button to turn it ON and it gives power to the various plugs in sequence with a 3 seconds delay between each activation or something, and when you turn it off does something similar but in reverse order
So I wouldn't have to keep in mind buttons order and have to use double the space on my desk for 2 power strips x_x

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
wish we had smarter tools for handling this sort of things x_x
Like imagine a power strip in which you click a single button to turn it ON and it gives power to the various plugs in sequence with a 3 seconds delay between each activation or something, and when you turn it off does something similar but in reverse order
So I wouldn't have to keep in mind buttons order and have to use double the space on my desk for 2 power strips x_x
I believe there are such devices to turn power on sequentially already....do you get some sort of amp thump if you do it out of order? Can't think of any thumps in any order with my 305s in any case but use them with an old preamp and no PC/sub. Is that sub prone to amp thump?

M

Marcus Aseth

Enthusiast
I believe there are such devices to turn power on sequentially already....
I couldn't find them, can you link one? (possibly on amazon)

do you get some sort of amp thump if you do it out of order?
I can't know yet, I have ordered the subwoofer 2 days ago and I'm waiting the delivery, what I explained above was how I plan to connect them as soon as I receive it (but didn't mentioned it previously just for sake of simplicity)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just set it up and see if there are any particular issues before buying anything more. Likely at worst you'll get an audible thump, and a loud one if you leave gain/volume up I suppose. Think it's primarily the power conditioners that offer such a feature but am sure there are power strips/boxes that can do the same....I've read of such but haven't needed one so haven't gone shopping myself. Just what is the source of the concern particularly? Literature from SVS?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about the thumps that happen when you turn off a device upstream from the signal chain. Ideally you would turn things off at the amplifier first, but unless something has been horribly engineered somewhere, all that will happen is a small thump or pop, and it isn't going to hurt anything.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you want to avoid amplifiers to send turn on or off noise from source material to your monitors, just switch on the amplifiers last. Also turn these off first, and then the other equipment.

The convenient alternative is to get the following sequencer which is on special at present:

EDIT: You can also get a refurbished PS-8R Series 2 at a cheap price on eBay. I have been using the previous version of this same model. It is reliable and works pretty well:

Last edited:
M

Marcus Aseth

Enthusiast
If you want to avoid amplifiers to send turn on or off noise from source material to your monitors, just switch on the amplifiers last.
Both monitors and sub are powered.

The convenient alternative is to get the following sequencer which is on special at present:
Wouldn't really call that convenient
The price is insane (I also never buy used), the plug type is wrong (I live in Italy), and it completely defeat the purpose of saving space, so with that item the cons vastly outweigh the benefit of not having to think about turning on/off in sequence

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I wouldn't worry about the thumps that happen when you turn off a device upstream from the signal chain. Ideally you would turn things off at the amplifier first, but unless something has been horribly engineered somewhere, all that will happen is a small thump or pop, and it isn't going to hurt anything.
The reason a lot of amplifiers will pass a thump isn't horrible engineering, it's because they don't have relays on the output to the speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well that's what you asked, you wanted to know the source and SVS is the source.

Ask SVS :confused:
I don't have the question, nor read what you did, and don't need to ask SVS :) I think you're overthinking things, tho.

M

Marcus Aseth

Enthusiast
nor read what you did
This is actually the exact same thing you did in the other topic, you should just stop replying in this forum imo, your contribution is very useless in solving problems :\

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is actually the exact same thing you did in the other topic, you should just stop replying in this forum imo, your contribution is very useless in solving problems :\
Look, you can quote specific passages in a variety of ways, but don't expect someone to analyze it for you....so what are your contributions to the forum so far?

M

Marcus Aseth

Enthusiast
....so what are your contributions to the forum so far?
I don't act as if I understand this stuff jumping on various topics while getting in the way of other people trying to get a decent answer from users that actually know what they are talking about, that's my contribution.
From what I've seen you jump into problems but you lack the interest to investigate them (a simple google search on subwoofer turning on/off sequence would have gave you plenty of resoults!, although if you wanted to help you needed to know this stuff to begin with...), you ask a series of very basic questions that often are useless in solving the problem because you don't fully understand it, thus waste people time in the process akin to a very bad customer service, so my second contribution would be reminding you of what you're doing, a thing I think people should do on a daily basis.
I don't want this to degenerate into off topic or a long argument so I'll just set your status to Ignored.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't act as if I understand this stuff jumping on various topics while getting in the way of other people trying to get a decent answer from users that actually know what they are talking about, that's my contribution.
From what I've seen you jump into problems but you lack the interest to investigate them (a simple google search on subwoofer turning on/off sequence would have gave you plenty of resoults!, although if you wanted to help you needed to know this stuff to begin with...), you ask a series of very basic questions that often are useless in solving the problem because you don't fully understand it, thus waste people time in the process akin to a very bad customer service, so my second contribution would be reminding you of what you're doing, a thing I think people should do on a daily basis.
I don't want this to degenerate into off topic or a long argument so I'll just set your status to Ignored.
The ostrich approach? Hopefully you figure this out, I'll send a participation award your way while you look for your answer on a platter for your particular antiicpated problem that hasn't even proven a problem yet. Good luck.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis