Powered speakers for the bedroom? Suggestions?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In my small home office I bought Genelec active monitors/subwoofer for a 2.1 system, and I'm using the Genelec Kit to calibrate the monitors and subwoofers with the calibration stored in the monitors/subwoofer. My use case is different that yours, obviously, but I've toyed with the idea for using Genelec monitors in my living room :)

One issue with active monitors is hiss that can be audible quite far away in some cases, and in some reviews the hiss is noted as very objectionable. This may or may not be an issue for you, but I would not like to hear hiss during quiet parts in a movie. In case you're considering the Kali Audio IN-8 monitor, note that it has just been updated to a 2nd version where they claim to have reduced the hiss (self-noise) by 12 dB.

Unlike most subwoofers for home use active monitors does not always have auto-standby, so you'll need another method for turning them on/off unless you leave them on all the time (hissy monitors in a sleeping room is not for me).

Powering the monitors is another issue but pre-made cables like these ones in varying lengths should help with that (with plugs relevant for where you live). Can then use a power strip to turn off/on all the monitors in one fell swoop.

I really like the look of the Kali In 8 what is the difference between the In 8 and LP 8? Just the 3 way vs 2 way design?

They are the same price as the LP 8 offer more less background hiss. And all for the same price Thank you!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I really like the look of the Kali In 8 what is the difference between the In 8 and LP 8? Just the 3 way vs 2 way design?

They are the same price as the LP 8 offer more less background hiss. And all for the same price Thank you!
Sorry, I don't know much about them. I mentioned the Kali Audio IN-8 2nd version as I recall that @shadyJ has recommended the Kali for HT use and thus you might consider them as well.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That is close to my bedroom setup only its a smaller room. You got room use it or tidy up to make it to your liking! You can also get a full size bed and sell the King. :)

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Okay so as you guys know I had issues with the Anthem 60. Got ahold of Anthem and we can't get it to repeat the issues since I moved it to my bedroom.
So I'm not wanting to sell it in case there is a glitch but not wanting to send it in until I know for sure.

In the meantime the Yamaha CX-A5200 is staying in the theater room. I love it.

Got me thinking I need to free up space in my bedroom. I can't keep 5 JBL 590's in there Lol. I have capable subs 2 SVS pro 2000's the room is 13 by 14.

I'd like to just keep the Anthem and use the balanced outputs to run powered speakers I've always wanted to do this anyway. Like @shadyJ I was very depressed when the Outlaw 976 was discontinued.. because this was my original plan.

So keep the Anthem and buy 5 powered speakers for a 5.2 bedroom setup. Sell the JBL gear and the Anthem pva7 amp

I was leaning towards a certain one Shady just reviewed but lets make this fun which powered speakers should I go with? What recommendations do you guys have?

Here's some room pics also dimensions 13x14x9

View attachment 48495View attachment 48496View attachment 48497View attachment 48498
You know I am always looking to help a fellow Audioholic out. I’ve got plenty of room to hold on to your 5 JBL towers for you. I would also do you an enormous favor by keeping them in fresh working order by swapping out my speakers and using yours. I’m willing to do all of this out of the kindnesses of my heart. If need be I could block the ports so you’re not wondering what I’m doing to “.your “ports.:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You know I am always looking to help a fellow Audioholic out. I’ve got plenty of room to hold on to your 5 JBL towers for you. I would also do you an enormous favor by keeping them in fresh working order by swapping out my speakers and using yours. I’m willing to do all of this out of the kindnesses of my heart. If need be I could block the ports so you’re not wondering what I’m doing to “.your “ports.:D
Why. That's the sweetest thing someone has done for me in a long time! This is why I love you guys. For taking care of my ports! :oops: wait a sec.... that didn't sound right!!!

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Why. That's the sweetest thing someone has done for me in a long time! This is why I love you guys. For taking care of my ports! :oops: wait a sec.... that didn't sound right!!!
Only thing I ask of you is to sanitize ports prior to shipping.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Back to the topic at hand (ie not the ports):
Do you want to pursue an option that will give you a 3-way front stage with smaller 2-way surrounds?
Or do you just want to keep it 2-way all around?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Back to the topic at hand (ie not the ports):
Do you want to pursue an option that will give you a 3-way front stage with smaller 2-way surrounds?
Or do you just want to keep it 2-way all around?
Most likely bookshelves all the way around with 2 PB 2000 pro in that room size I really don't need a bigger front stage in there

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Wish I could afford those jbl590, I don’t understand why op would want to downgrade sound if he can fit three towers which is the best set up possible....
smaller speakers = smaller sound
Your going to need to spend a lot for anything powered that compares with those ...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wish I could afford those jbl590, I don’t understand why op would want to downgrade sound if he can fit three towers which is the best set up possible....
smaller speakers = smaller sound
Your going to need to spend a lot for anything powered that compares with those ...
Love my JBL but I am running out of room here but I disagree I think powered speakers especially even budget can do a lot paired with subs in a room my size

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Love my JBL but I am running out of room here but I disagree I think powered speakers especially even budget can do a lot paired with subs in a room my size
You’d have to put them ontop of storage bins or something since speaker stands take
Up same space as towers . Good luck it’s not easy to find theater worthy powered speakers but jbl studio monitors may work or those genelac.
Lcr or 3 center channels would give you the most space.
I’d never give up sound quality for a bit of storage but it it’s definitely not impossible ... especially if you don’t listen louder.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis