Looking for advice on a set of Definitive Technology surround speakers

N

NapalmKitten

Audiophyte
Hi all,
I inherited a set of Definitive Technology speakers after my dad died. My mom doesn't want them taking up space anymore and, frankly, I don't have the need/want for them. Nonetheless, I took them and told her that I'd see if I could get her anything for them.

The set consists of the following:
(2) Front BP-20 bipolar floor-standing speakers
(2) Rear BP-X wall-mount/bookshelf speakers
(1) Center CLR-2000 speaker
(1) Powerfield 1500 subwoofer

I see some of these same speakers listed on auction sites for a few hundred dollars each and there are 10, 15, maybe 30 "watchers". But anyone can ask for any amount, and yet it doesn't make it the actual value and I'm questioning whether these are really selling at all.

So, I'm looking for some advice on what to do with them. Is there any real market for these? I'm guessing these are about 25 years old and I can list them as "vintage" instead of simply "old". But, are they worth the bother trying to sell them? Locally? Given their weight, if I were to ship them, I'd be afraid the UPS driver gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him.

Thanks,
Gary

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can check sold listings on ebay to get an idea of what they actually sold for. Audiogon or hifishark perhaps as well. List 'em on craigslist perhaps after you figure it out some. Maybe Facebook Marketplace. Packing, especially without original boxes, can be a pain as well as expensive, let alone shipping. I'd stick to local sales, hopefully you're in a relatively well populated area to help out?

I don't know if they're particularly in demand, let alone "vintage" except that they're old (not the same thing to me). That was one of DT's better subwoofers IIRC, tho.

I hate selling gear generally (just don't like dealing with it) so just put it to use. No use for the gear anywhere in your own house?

N

NapalmKitten

Audiophyte
It's been so long since I've been on eBay that I totally forgot you can search completed/sold listings. Thanks for the reminder. It looks like a few of them have sold in recent months - a few center channels were shipped out, but most of the heavy stuff was local pickup - and nowhere near me.

I'm in SW Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh and Craigslist has three Definitive Technology listings in total over a 100 mile radius. Doesn't seem like a big market for them here, but it might be a place to start.

My "vintage" comment was in jest; I totally agree with you that it and "old" are not freely interchangeable. Most people labeling things as "vintage" seem simply to be trying to pawn off old junk.

As for putting it to use myself, I'm looking to downsize in the next few years - I'm tired of home maintenance and these winters and a condo in a warmer climate is calling. So, I'd rather get rid of them now than be in a rush to do it later. I guess I could always include them with the house when I sell. I did the same with my Sony KV-40XBR800 because I didn't feel like hauling the 325lbs CRT out of the old place.

That said, it might be worthwhile to set them up, open the windows and pop in "Die Hard" or some Michael Bay flick just to see how much I can annoy the neighbors (as opposed to the status quo of the other way around).

Thanks for the pointers. I guess Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace might be the best places to dip a toe in the water.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good luck. Definitive Technology is a well known audio brand at least, and you're in a fairly large area population wise (I live in the boonies, but that just added to the reasons not to bother for myself). Heck, ya just might enjoy the system....maybe think of ol' dad and watch a movie or two.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hi all,
I inherited a set of Definitive Technology speakers after my dad died. My mom doesn't want them taking up space anymore and, frankly, I don't have the need/want for them. Nonetheless, I took them and told her that I'd see if I could get her anything for them.

The set consists of the following:
(2) Front BP-20 bipolar floor-standing speakers
(2) Rear BP-X wall-mount/bookshelf speakers
(1) Center CLR-2000 speaker
(1) Powerfield 1500 subwoofer

I see some of these same speakers listed on auction sites for a few hundred dollars each and there are 10, 15, maybe 30 "watchers". But anyone can ask for any amount, and yet it doesn't make it the actual value and I'm questioning whether these are really selling at all.

So, I'm looking for some advice on what to do with them. Is there any real market for these? I'm guessing these are about 25 years old and I can list them as "vintage" instead of simply "old". But, are they worth the bother trying to sell them? Locally? Given their weight, if I were to ship them, I'd be afraid the UPS driver gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him.

Thanks,
Gary
I’d listen to them first don’t dump them from pressure . Anything you don’t like you can sell those towers may be keepers .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah with big heavy stuff like that craigslist and fb market would be my starting point. Shipping stuff like that gets really expensive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis