Should I use the extra pair of Floor standing JBL studio 570 as surround in my 7.1?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
When I first swapped it out I listened at fairly low volume....and really couldn't tell there was a different center there (actually forgot when I used it the next day until the coffee sank in :) ). However, when I turned it up the Infinity was just better at that....
The reason it works with the JBL 5 series is because the same person designed both speakers? The prevailing wisdom is to match the LCR.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I've found Electronica is more friendly to upmixing than Rock and Jazz. Both of the latter two just sound artificial to me. (Which makes sense as a performer.) Electronica, already artificial, seems to work well for the styles/sub-genres I really enjoy.
Orchestral music seems to play nicely with upmixing. I haven't really had a WTF moment when I've done that, though in my small room with wide dispersion speakers, I don't really need to. Conversely, I would not do it with a small chamber ensemble, say a string or saxophone quartet. I know there have been many conversations about concert hall acoustics, and true... not all halls are good, but when you do get to hear a good hall and the sound of an orchestra in it, it is special. Getting to experience a semblance of that in your own room can be nice.

I wish I could afford to spend on more 5.1 CDs. Some of them that I want are just stupid expensive.
Moreover, I wish more artists would start conceiving their work in surround sound. Perhaps it is done more than I recognize, but the times I look for options like that, I just don't find anything of interest. What I have, I enjoy for the most part. A few just aren't mixed very well.
(Brothers In Arms frankly falls into this category for me with about half the cuts sounding forced with arbitrary channel placement that doesn't make sense in the whole of the sound. Conversely, I really enjoy Wish You Were Here and Dark Side as 5.1 mixes.)
I seen this week Roger Waters is releasing a multi channel of Animals on Blu-ray Disc in music form a box set with LP’s and multi channel discs . Mixed from the master’s.
They’ll be law suits lol as Gilmour has fought this for years . It should be fantastic as Rogers concert discs are top notch recordings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The reason it works with the JBL 5 series is because the same person designed both speakers? The prevailing wisdom is to match the LCR.
Same parent company but don't think the same designer, pretty sure Greg Timbers spent his time on JBL stuff....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I seen this week Roger Waters is releasing a multi channel of Animals on Blu-ray Disc in music form a box set with LP’s and multi channel discs . Mixed from the master’s.
They’ll be law suits lol as Gilmour has fought this for years . It should be fantastic as Rogers concert discs are top notch recordings.
Animals is a really great work. May be one of the best.
As much as I've enjoyed some of his work post--Floyd, I haven't kept up with him as much. But I also kinda fell out of love with what Gilmour was doing, too: there was some really good stuff on Momentary Lapse...
I think, though, with olde British rockers, there comes a point where they stop being good at what they do out of reverence for trying to be good at doing what they did the same way they did it when they were better at doing it than they are now. (Ya, that's a tough sentence, but I promise it's spot on! :p )

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Animals is a really great work. May be one of the best.
As much as I've enjoyed some of his work post--Floyd, I haven't kept up with him as much. But I also kinda fell out of love with what Gilmour was doing, too: there was some really good stuff on Momentary Lapse...
I think, though, with olde British rockers, there comes a point where they stop being good at what they do out of reverence for trying to be good at doing what they did the same way they did it when they were better at doing it than they are now. (Ya, that's a tough sentence, but I promise it's spot on! :p )
I do indeed get what your saying! As I was watching Gilmour’s latest disc I did think to myself it may be time for the old boy stop reinventing these old tunes . Not a fan of Rodgers politics as it tends to tarnish the music with that being said his concert films are quite good his mixes seem to get the home theater crowd .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
So @Old Onkyo and @Mark E. Long so how do you vote on the OP's question ? Even though we may have lost John....
I’d keep the 570’s for surrounds any day all day ! I use big towers for side surrounds but I’ve a large room and id use the 520’s with an good sub for two channel . So I’d go with option no 2 !

J

john20182050

Audioholic
I don't see anything wrong with using the 570s as surrounds. You use 520s for surrounds or 530s? I have a set of the Studio 5s too, use 590s for L/R, 580s for surrounds, 530s for rear surrounds....was using a 520 center but changed it out for an Infinity RC263. One thing I did was build small risers for the 580s to raise them up a bit.
Sorry, that was a typo, Yes, I'm using JBL 530 as surround and back, not JBL 520 :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
First note, I'm not going to buy JBL studio 570 for this purpose. I'm upgrading my front speakers in the living room to KEP R11 from KEF R5 and upgrading my JBL 570 in the workout room with the KEF R5 from the living room. So, now, I left with this extra pair of JBL studio 570. I have 7.1 set up in the living room and my back and surround speakers are JBL 530. So, now I have three options
  1. Sell the JBL 570 pair. (I paid $1000, I think at the max someone may buy for only $500)
  2. Use JBL 570 pair surround speakers in the 7.1 setup in the living room. ( If I choose, this option, then either I can sell JBL 530 pair or use it my living room)
  3. Buy a receiver or stereo amp and use JBL 570 in my bedroom.
I know it's a personal preference, please let me know what will do you in this case and my main question is on whether to use Floor standing JBL studio 570 as surround in my 7.1? The below article says to use floor standing speakers instead of bookshelf speakers for surround speakers but some forum responders say it's not only an unnecessary but bad idea.

Towers are fine as surrounds, always better then bookshelves.

J

john20182050

Audioholic
Sorry, that was a typo, Yes, I'm using JBL 530 as surround and back, not JBL 520 :)
Do think it's okay to have JBL 570 as surround but having KEF R11 as front and KEF R200C as the center? Most of the time I listen to music on stereo with 2.1, 60% of the time I listen to music. Rarely I listen to music in 5.1.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally with music is where I want the speakers the same model/series, I find it less important for tv/movies....but unless they just sound "wrong" on setup, I think you're fine....

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Do think it's okay to have JBL 570 as surround but having KEF R11 as front and KEF R200C as the center? Most of the time I listen to music on stereo with 2.1, 60% of the time I listen to music. Rarely I listen to music in 5.1.
Yes as long as you cannot tell the mismatch, tower surrounds of a different brand can beat matching bookshelves. If your running 2ch only your towers are active. You may prefer 5 if you get it set up correctly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis