Should I use the extra pair of Floor standing JBL studio 570 as surround in my 7.1?

J

john20182050

Audioholic
First note, I'm not going to buy JBL studio 570 for this purpose. I'm upgrading my front speakers in the living room to KEP R11 from KEF R5 and upgrading my JBL 570 in the workout room with the KEF R5 from the living room. So, now, I left with this extra pair of JBL studio 570. I have 7.1 set up in the living room and my back and surround speakers are JBL 530. So, now I have three options
  1. Sell the JBL 570 pair. (I paid $1000, I think at the max someone may buy for only $500)
  2. Use JBL 570 pair surround speakers in the 7.1 setup in the living room. ( If I choose, this option, then either I can sell JBL 530 pair or use it my living room)
  3. Buy a receiver or stereo amp and use JBL 570 in my bedroom.
I know it's a personal preference, please let me know what will do you in this case and my main question is on whether to use Floor standing JBL studio 570 as surround in my 7.1? The below article says to use floor standing speakers instead of bookshelf speakers for surround speakers but some forum responders say it's not only an unnecessary but bad idea.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well... yeah, personal preference to a good extent.
What is the usage of the KEF room? Is this your main Movie and listening area?

Personally, I would get the Front 3 and Surrounds matched... though my focus is more music than movie, I greatly enjoy 5.1 audio mixes and find the surrounds an important part of that.

That said, you've got the 570s, so I would say use them for a while and see how they perform. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see anything wrong with using the 570s as surrounds. You use 520s for surrounds or 530s? I have a set of the Studio 5s too, use 590s for L/R, 580s for surrounds, 530s for rear surrounds....was using a 520 center but changed it out for an Infinity RC263. One thing I did was build small risers for the 580s to raise them up a bit.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Without knowing anything about our friends habits and living situation, I just gravitate toward matching speakers a little more. Not opposed to mixing, but I suspect there would be more likelihood of some tonal differences between the two designs due to the JBL's Horn. (Not that I look down on that horn, but just two completely different concepts. :) )

Admittedly, R5s as Surrounds would be some serious overkill, but c'mon. :D If it were my choice and somebody else's ducats, I'd go R7 for surround.

:p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Without knowing anything about our friends habits and living situation, I just gravitate toward matching speakers a little more. Not opposed to mixing, but I suspect there would be more likelihood of some tonal differences between the two designs due to the JBL's Horn. (Not that I look down on that horn, but just two completely different concepts. :) )

Admittedly, R5s as Surrounds would be some serious overkill, but c'mon. :D If it were my choice and somebody else's ducats, I'd go R7 for surround.

:p
I mixed soft dome tweets from various Ascends when I started gathering the JBL Studio 5s. I don't think much content it would matter with, at least not IME. I wouldn't think too much about the tweets being compression drivers with the horn....but if the OP notices such a difference then he'll have his answer. I do prefer more matching set for multich music, tho, that's why the Ascends are now the bedroom system and the JBLs in the living room to an extent (but also about speaker size/capabilities). I've never played with the Kef speakers, tho.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Personally, I would get the Front 3 and Surrounds matched... though my focus is more music than movie, I greatly enjoy 5.1 audio mixes and find the surrounds an important part of that.
I have been experimenting with that a lot lately and I still can't decide which I prefer. My center image loses stability in 5.1 with center spread on, but doesn't sound quite right with it off. I can get a center image, but it's really flaky and shifts around as I move my head even slightly from side to side.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have been experimenting with that a lot lately and I still can't decide which I prefer. My center image loses stability in 5.1 with center spread on, but doesn't sound quite right with it off. I can get a center image, but it's really flaky and shifts around as I move my head even slightly from side to side.
Are you doing true 5.1 audio mixes or are you upmixing 2-channel mixes?
I absolutely never use center spread, and when dealing with 5.1 mixes would expect it to be deleterious to the intention of the mix. I'm not saying it's wrong, especially if you enjoy it, but matrixing one discreet channel across three would change the intended effect, especially if the engineer is worth their salt.
Are you finding this to be the case with the Horizon in place instead of the S2? Considering that your new center should be as capable as your towers, I would expect you should be able to do away with the extra processing and get the right effect.
I could carry on about my feelings about upmixing stereo, but will spare you. ;) I know several people here have been doing so and enjoy it. Again, not being one for dogmatic bs, if it is enjoyable then do what you want! :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you doing true 5.1 audio mixes or are you upmixing 2-channel mixes?
I absolutely never use center spread, and when dealing with 5.1 mixes would expect it to be deleterious to the intention of the mix. I'm not saying it's wrong, especially if you enjoy it, but matrixing one discreet channel across three would change the intended effect, especially if the engineer is worth their salt.
Are you finding this to be the case with the Horizon in place instead of the S2? Considering that your new center should be as capable as your towers, I would expect you should be able to do away with the extra processing and get the right effect.
I could carry on about my feelings about upmixing stereo, but will spare you. ;) I know several people here have been doing so and enjoy it. Again, not being one for dogmatic bs, if it is enjoyable then do what you want! :)
Strictly when upmixing from stereo. Stuff actually mixed in 5.1 is on the money, and I think the way you do about center spread for 5.1 mixes. They're already mixed for it so no reason for center spread.

PS, with my Horizon. I've only really been experimenting after I had everything matched for 5.1.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is pretty much where I'm at. So far I believe I prefer most stereo mixes played back in stereo. There are some things I like about upmixing, but for the most part seems to kinda muddy things and gets a little all over the place.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've found Electronica is more friendly to upmixing than Rock and Jazz. Both of the latter two just sound artificial to me. (Which makes sense as a performer.) Electronica, already artificial, seems to work well for the styles/sub-genres I really enjoy.
Orchestral music seems to play nicely with upmixing. I haven't really had a WTF moment when I've done that, though in my small room with wide dispersion speakers, I don't really need to. Conversely, I would not do it with a small chamber ensemble, say a string or saxophone quartet. I know there have been many conversations about concert hall acoustics, and true... not all halls are good, but when you do get to hear a good hall and the sound of an orchestra in it, it is special. Getting to experience a semblance of that in your own room can be nice.

I wish I could afford to spend on more 5.1 CDs. Some of them that I want are just stupid expensive.
Moreover, I wish more artists would start conceiving their work in surround sound. Perhaps it is done more than I recognize, but the times I look for options like that, I just don't find anything of interest. What I have, I enjoy for the most part. A few just aren't mixed very well.
(Brothers In Arms frankly falls into this category for me with about half the cuts sounding forced with arbitrary channel placement that doesn't make sense in the whole of the sound. Conversely, I really enjoy Wish You Were Here and Dark Side as 5.1 mixes.)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've found Electronica is more friendly to upmixing than Rock and Jazz. Both of the latter two just sound artificial to me. (Which makes sense as a performer.) Electronica, already artificial, seems to work well for the styles/sub-genres I really enjoy.
Orchestral music seems to play nicely with upmixing. I haven't really had a WTF moment when I've done that, though in my small room with wide dispersion speakers, I don't really need to. Conversely, I would not do it with a small chamber ensemble, say a string or saxophone quartet. I know there have been many conversations about concert hall acoustics, and true... not all halls are good, but when you do get to hear a good hall and the sound of an orchestra in it, it is special. Getting to experience a semblance of that in your own room can be nice.
Okay, yes. That all makes perfect sense to me. "Artificial" is one of the words I wanted to use to describe what I'm hearing but didn't think of it. A lot of my music is on the pretty heavy side and falls pretty firmly into rock and metal, mostly of the progressive variety.

I've seen a few videos of gene saying he likes Dolby upmixing for some stereo tracks, but you have to have center spread on so your stage doesn't collapse. It does open it up but depending how far off center my head is, its pulled to the right or the left. I flip back to stereo and it snaps right in place and I can squirm all over without it shifting all over the place. It does sound bigger and fuller up mixed, but... artificial. Good one.

I wish I could afford to spend on more 5.1 CDs. Some of them that I want are just stupid expensive.
Moreover, I wish more artists would start conceiving their work in surround sound. Perhaps it is done more than I recognize, but the times I look for options like that, I just don't find anything of interest. What I have, I enjoy for the most part. A few just aren't mixed very well.
(Brothers In Arms frankly falls into this category for me with about half the cuts sounding forced with arbitrary channel placement that doesn't make sense in the whole of the sound. Conversely, I really enjoy Wish You Were Here and Dark Side as 5.1 mixes.)
This is really what I should start checking out if I really wanna get into listening to music in 5.1. I have 1 Blu Ray concert mixed in 5.1 and it does sound really, really good. Also, in general pickin's are kinda slim for my musical tastes (tho Pink Floyd are awesome) and I don't think I have an actual sacd player either. Or will any Blu Ray player work? I'll have to see if my pc can play an sacd, but I kinda doubt it. Xbox 1x likely won't either...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Several Sony bluray players can do SACD, I have a couple in addition to my Oppo. There is slim pickings for content as Ryan mentioned....except for the really high priced ones I've been kinda stalled for a while now on my collection. Some music does come out on bluray, too....and even dvd (and some older stuff in dvd-audio format that some players won't handle). Listening to Herbie Hancock Sextant SACD 5.1 now :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Too bad we don't have more guys like Steven Wilson around.....maybe we can clone him? :) .....altho he tends to work on only what he likes/wants and think he's done most of that already. Check out this if you haven't https://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/remixes/
Thanks! I will check that out. I've been listening to more Porcupine Tree. I recently stumbled across a video of Gavin playing "Anesthetize" live on the drums.

Jesus balls. He can give Danny Carey a serious run for his money. In fact he might be the better technical drummer, and I do not say that lightly. At all. I was pretty blown away watching that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Anesthetize is one of my Porcupine Tree favorites, have that on bluray (aka Live in Tilberg)

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I don't see anything wrong with using the 570s as surrounds. You use 520s for surrounds or 530s? I have a set of the Studio 5s too, use 590s for L/R, 580s for surrounds, 530s for rear surrounds....was using a 520 center but changed it out for an Infinity RC263. One thing I did was build small risers for the 580s to raise them up a bit.
[/
I don't see anything wrong with using the 570s as surrounds. You use 520s for surrounds or 530s? I have a set of the Studio 5s too, use 590s for L/R, 580s for surrounds, 530s for rear surrounds....was using a 520 center but changed it out for an Infinity RC263. One thing I did was build small risers for the 580s to raise them u
QUOT
What is your opinion on the Infinity center channel? I found one used on the bay 110 a few months back and I’m liking it so far with my Klipsch system. I get very tempted when Harmon puts the Infinity reference on sale to match my front 3, but then I see the JBL studio 5 series and get tempted with them also even though they don’t match. What say you?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@john20182050 sorry for the thread hijack :)

@CajunLB I do like that Infinity, moved the JBL 520 elsewhere, always felt the center for the Studio series should have been closer in size to the 590 end of things rather than the 530 end....the 520 will work fine for another setup I have, altho I haven't swapped it in there yet. I got all the Studio series on big discount, very happy for the prices I've paid.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
@john20182050 sorry for the thread hijack :)

@CajunLB I do like that Infinity, moved the JBL 520 elsewhere, always felt the center for the Studio series should have been closer in size to the 590 end of things rather than the 530 end....the 520 will work fine for another setup I have, altho I haven't swapped it in there yet. I got all the Studio series on big discount, very happy for the prices I've paid.
That center channel is the weak spot in that JBL lineup. When I unboxed it I was underwhelmed. When I hooked it up….it needs more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That center channel is the weak spot in that JBL lineup. When I unboxed it I was underwhelmed. When I hooked it up….it needs more.
When I first swapped it out I listened at fairly low volume....and really couldn't tell there was a different center there (actually forgot when I used it the next day until the coffee sank in :) ). However, when I turned it up the Infinity was just better at that....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis