Second “Thoughts”

Streak01

Streak01

Junior Audioholic
I started my “Thoughts” thread with a question about a particular system that I saw for sale that I was intrigued by. I was also realizing the appeal was having “all in one package” for sell so I wasn’t so overwhelmed.

I greatly appreciate the input though maybe a better method is what I’m after.

The catalyst of my search: My wife and I traveled to visit family last week and 2 of the family members have nice systems (one listens to vinyl and the other plays digital off of an iPod). I was impressed by the clarity and richness of the sound (much better than our Bose SoundTouch 30 downstairs or our Audioengine B2 in my upstairs office). I found the system that I posted about online while on vacation

All music right now is via Spotify Premium which indicates 360 kbs though I now realize I’m only using iPhone to stream so need to try laptop instead. During work it’s blues or Jazz. Also love rock as mentioned (AC/DC, Pink Floyd. Talking Heads)

My wife is fine with Bose downstairs so I am looking for an upstairs system to replace the Audioengine. Room is posted in “Thoughts “ thread.

What I don’t want: I already have many many thousands in motorcycles so don’t want another extremely expensive hobby. I am wanting to limit to $1000 or under. Also don’t want to get over engaged in time spent on this which I habitually did with my motorcycle enthusiasm (as a note.. now down to only 2 motorcycles.. wife is happy!!! Had $2000 in the stereo of one of the bikes but fewer choices in that niche market).

So…best bang for $750 to $1000 based on above and Thoughts thread ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

grierts

Audioholic Intern
This may be a good place to start.

Somewhat dated, but it will give you the opportunity to build a system under your budget.

After you build the system come back here and EVERYONE will critique it. Watch out for Budget creep. Everyone will want to say "If you can afford it...." or " for just a little bit more...."

If you only want to spend less than $1000. Stick to your guns.

Check this out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/5zt8mw

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Where are you? Used speakers are a very viable option and Craigslist can be a gold mine in the right areas.

Streak01

Streak01

Junior Audioholic
Where are you? Used speakers are a very viable option and Craigslist can be a gold mine in the right areas.
I’m in Wake Forest NC (suburb of Raleigh).

Streak01

Streak01

Junior Audioholic
This may be a good place to start.

Somewhat dated, but it will give you the opportunity to build a system under your budget.

After you build the system come back here and EVERYONE will critique it. Watch out for Budget creep. Everyone will want to say "If you can afford it...." or " for just a little bit more...."

If you only want to spend less than $1000. Stick to your guns.

Check this out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/5zt8mw
Thanks for this article. Just read!!!
Newbie questions -
Seems I need only speakers and subwoofer… that is not surround sound, correct?

Would I look for a receiver or an amplifier (digital music only)

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I did a quick search of your local craigslist. Not a lot there, but found a few possibilities.

Very good speakers, but 850 is a bit high. They retail for ~1300 new.

Also good, but again 850. Could make an offer.

I don't normally recommend Klipsch, but have heard good things about "The Sixes". Plus they're powered speakers so no amp necessary, but still need the source. I don't know if this is much help for you or not, but that's about the best I found used in your area. I'm curious to see what some of the guys say about these finds. Both the LS50s and Golden Ear Aons are legit good speakers. I'm just not sure about the asking price. You could always counter offer too.

Streak01

Streak01

Junior Audioholic
Okay, I did a quick search of your local craigslist. Not a lot there, but found a few possibilities.

Very good speakers, but 850 is a bit high. They retail for ~1300 new.

Also good, but again 850. Could make an offer.

I don't normally recommend Klipsch, but have heard good things about "The Sixes". Plus they're powered speakers so no amp necessary, but still need the source. I don't know if this is much help for you or not, but that's about the best I found used in your area. I'm curious to see what some of the guys say about these finds. Both the LS50s and Golden Ear Aons are legit good speakers. I'm just not sure about the asking price.
Thank you Pogre. Very kind for you to do this!! Unfortunately my budget for entire system is only $1000.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you Pogre. Very kind for you to do this!! Unfortunately my budget for entire system is only $1000.

I know. Those first 2 are really good speakers tho. If you can talk them down a little that still leaves you a little bit of wiggle room for power. We always advise putting the bulk of the budget into the speakers. Let's see what some of the others say about those asking prices.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Research Triangle area? Yeah, that can be a gold mine for used audio. I've made more than one trip into RDU for gear in the past few years. Stay on top of craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and don't hesitate to ask here if something is worth the money!

(if you don't do facebook, just do like I did and make a fake account just to have full access to Marketplace)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Research Triangle area? Yeah, that can be a gold mine for used audio. I've made more than one trip into RDU for gear in the past few years. Stay on top of craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and don't hesitate to ask here if something is worth the money!

(if you don't do facebook, just do like I did and make a fake account just to have full access to Marketplace)
I already took a peek. What do you think about those couple I found? LS50 and Golden Ear Aons both for $850. Not a lot of info with the LS50s. I know there are 3 or 4 versions of those, both passive and powered. If those are powered $850 is really pretty good. Even better if they're the newer Metas.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

I already took a peek. What do you think about those couple I found? LS50 and Golden Ear Aons both for $850. Not a lot of info with the LS50s. I know there are 3 or 4 versions of those, both passive and powered. If those are powered $850 is really pretty good. Even better if they're the newer Metas.
Sheesh, 1 picture for something they want nearly a grand for. Most people will add pix if you ask them though. Impossible to tell if they're active or passive from that little info.

If his total budget is $1k I don't think he should put 800+ into a pair of bookshelves. You still need the receiver and the sub. If he and his wife don't mind towers then he could forego the sub with the right pair but still need the receiver.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I sent the LS50 guy an email requesting some more details. If those are passive you could offer maybe $700 for them then we start looking for a way to power them. If they're active, then I think they're about worth what's being asked. Maybe counter with 800. You won't need an amp if they're active. The LS50 is a very highly regarded speaker for its retail price range.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sheesh, 1 picture for something they want nearly a grand for. Most people will add pix if you ask them though. Impossible to tell if they're active or passive from that little info.

If his total budget is $1k I don't think he should put 800+ into a pair of bookshelves. You still need the receiver and the sub. If he and his wife don't mind towers then he could forego the sub with the right pair but still need the receiver.
If they're active that changes things a little bit. I kinda have a feeling they're not tho.

I emailed the dude, as I said above. Let's see if he gets back to me.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

These Canton's in Charlotte for $450 are a damn steal! If OP can do towers, it's worth a drive to give them a listen!
Canton is an under-the-radar German brand. They don't advertise in the US but they make real high-end stuff (even some $20,000+ models). seriously, if you can audition these, I would be shocked if you were disappointed.

High end speakers - electronics - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These Canton's in Charlotte for $450 are a damn steal! If OP can do towers, it's worth a drive to give them a listen!
Canton is an under-the-radar German brand. They don't advertise in the US but they make real high-end stuff (even some $20,000+ models). seriously, if you can audition these, I would be shocked if you were disappointed.

High end speakers - electronics - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)
I missed those! Wasn't really looking for towers tho, but now that I think of it I don't think @Streak01 really specified one way or the other.

The thing with towers too is placement will be a little more critical and I'd want to be as close to ideal as possible. An equilateral triangle with good distance and toe in.

PS, agree that Canton make very good high end speakers. I'm not familiar with the ones you found tho.

Streak01

Streak01

Junior Audioholic
I missed those! Wasn't really looking for towers tho, but now that I think of it I don't think @Streak01 really specified one way or the other.

The thing with towers too is placement will be a little more critical and I'd want to be as close to ideal as possible. An equilateral triangle with good distance and toe in.

PS, agree that Canton make very good high end speakers. I'm not familiar with the ones you found tho.
I trust your judgment. My room dimensions are in “Thoughts” thread.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I trust your judgment. My room dimensions are in “Thoughts” thread.

Yeah, your desk being in a corner on the opposite side of the room isn't really all that ideal. I saw boat also suggested going with a desktop system. I might lean that direction too unless you have some flexibility with placement.

I snagged your pic so the others can see what you're working with.

83ecf737c789b3fb61e5f0b01fd5581c.jpg

If you could slide the desk out of the corner and more in the middle, and place your speakers so that you make an equilateral triangle that would be very close to ideal. Even if you end up with killer speakers, poor placement can lead to not a great experience.

PS, just saw you posted images. Very helpful!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis