harman/kardon HK 3490 Stereo Receiver Review

R

rifmon

Enthusiast
I agree. those are the parts that become dated and eventually obsolete. I am running one external DAC to my Nikko Beta 20 pre amp. It's a Schiit DAC. I guess the $100.00 DAC might even be better that the 3490's by this time.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree. those are the parts that become dated and eventually obsolete. I am running one external DAC to my Nikko Beta 20 pre amp. It's a Schiit DAC. I guess the $100.00 DAC might even be better that the 3490's by this time.
You can use the ext. DAC with the HK's analog inputs but you know that already..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Note that the HK3480 the model before the HK3490 had the same amplifier output stage but NO optical or coax digital inputs...

Just my $0.02... ;)
The thing I like about those HK receivers is that I can use it as power amp too just by pulling a jumper. Just realized they were made in China. That, to me is not a good concern because many well measured gear (by ASR) were made there anyway but that's now, do you know if audio gear made there more than 20 years ago would be okay in terms of quality control?

R

rifmon

Enthusiast
I will. If I am remembering correctly, Amir did review the DAC I have favorably but I know there are probably better ones he's reviewed also. I'll take a look.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I will. If I am remembering correctly, Amir did review the DAC I have favorably but I know there are probably better ones he's reviewed also. I'll take a look.
Not that it would make a difference but just to feel good. The main reason I want better ext. DAC is just so I am not limited to 24/192 resolution in PCM, I want the ability to play the maximum available files in both PCM and DSD because in my experience, the odds of finding high quality sound are much higher from those in 24b/96, kHz24b/192 kHz, DSD128, DSD256. Yes there are top notch ones in CD quality 16b/44.1 kHz, just lower odds, i.e. harder to find.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The thing I like about those HK receivers is that I can use it as power amp too just by pulling a jumper. Just realized they were made in China. That, to me is not a good concern because many well measured gear (by ASR) were made there anyway but that's now, do you know if audio gear made there more than 20 years ago would be okay in terms of quality control?
Totally agreed...
I like to have the pre-out/main-in jumpers..
They were common-place for many years in integrated amplifiers and stereo receivers, and even some AVRs had these, and provided an EZ way to add an external power amplifier.. But in later generations, now they are only found in the higher end components. For approximately 20 years we included these in the HK products, but after 2010 when the audio development function was assigned to Shenzen, China that feature was deleted. I guess I am dating myself by being old school.. :).

Note that originally, the HK stereo receivers were built in Korea by the Marantz sub-contractor, who then moved production to China and then to Vietnam... :)

Just my $0.02... ;)

R

rifmon

Enthusiast
I have come to really appreciate those jumpers! I needed to send my Nikko Alph II to the shop (over 2 months so far!) So I took the jumpers out and ran my pre amp into the Pre-In of the 3490.
Works like a charm!

I've read several places that an upgraded set of jumpers improves the sound somehow. I always wondered if it would.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have come to really appreciate those jumpers! I needed to send my Nikko Alph II to the shop (over 2 months so far!) So I took the jumpers out and ran my pre amp into the Pre-In of the 3490.
Works like a charm!

I've read several places that an upgraded set of jumpers improves the sound somehow. I always wondered if it would.
They are wonderful, you can use the thing as integrated, preamp only, and power amp only. If someone happens to need a two channel power amp for the surround or Atmos channels, they can try to grab one from eBay and will have a high quality amp, better than those cheap Emo of similar low power 2 channel amps. You can do that with the likes of Marantz, Yamaha etc., integrated amps, not until you get to the higher end models.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Still happily running my 3490 into a pair of Infinty Primus 363s. The ability to handle 4 ohm speakers is a nice plus. :)

K

kasik

Audiophyte
Found and bought one of these for 80e in a flea market. The left channel is dead on the preamp, I wonder if this is a common issue..?
Its not such a big deal for me though as I use it as a power amp to drive my elac fs 247s and have RME adi-2 dac as a pre. Seems to handle my fairly demanding speakers just fine.
Silly question but does it matter where I set the 3490s volume at when using it as power amp?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Set it like You want. Don't over think it. If all else fails use Google click click it's real easy.
Jump on H/K website you find All the info you need on that unit. You have access to the Web right.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Found and bought one of these for 80e in a flea market. The left channel is dead on the preamp, I wonder if this is a common issue..?
Its not such a big deal for me though as I use it as a power amp to drive my elac fs 247s and have RME adi-2 dac as a pre. Seems to handle my fairly demanding speakers just fine.
Silly question but does it matter where I set the 3490s volume at when using it as power amp?
If using the L/R Main -In jacks, the volume, balance & tone controls have no effect....

Just my $0.02... ;)

T

Tweaked

Junior Audioholic
Hey everyone,

I'm getting ready to move to a new house where I finally have my own space for a dedicated 2.1 channel setup. I have several options for my receiver including my old boxed up 3490. I just purchased an Arcam CDS50 to cover all my source needs except vinyl. My question is, is the 3490 still good in 2022?

P.S. my other options for this space are a Marantz SR-7008 (no longer needed for HT use) or my Marantz 2240. Or should I sell all of these and invest in something else for amplifier duties?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as it functions properly it should be fine....might lack a few features of more modern gear (like maybe bass management for the sub, where the Marantz might be better). Not a bad time to get rid of old gear, prices are on the high side for the seller these days. I usually just put gear to use somehow rather than the hassle of selling it....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis