HELP NEEDED! - 4 month old yamaha bookshelf speaker fell....still working, but loose rattling inside - slight buzzing

S

sauravpat

Audiophyte
Hi, could you please help me? My yamaha satellite speaker fell down from the wall onto the floor. It's working but when I shake it, I can hear components moving inside. And the volume changes as I shake it. There is a slight buzzing sound. Volume is as loud as other speakers. I think something has come loose inside the speaker.

They are only 4 months old.

how can I open them up and check?

i think it is simply something come loose

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, could you please help me? My yamaha satellite speaker fell down from the wall onto the floor. It's working but when I shake it, I can hear components moving inside. And the volume changes as I shake it. There is a slight buzzing sound. Volume is as loud as other speakers. I think something has come loose inside the speaker.

They are only 4 months old.

how can I open them up and check?

i think it is simply something come loose
Since they're no longer under warranty (falling voided that), stop shaking it while the music is playing unless you want to kill your amplifier.

With the amplifier turned off:
If you can see the screws that hold the woofer in place, remove them and carefully lift the woofer out. It's likely that the heaviest component on the crossover has come loose- re-secure it. They may have used hot glue- if you have that, use it.

Since you didn't mention any kind of scraping sound, I think the woofer and tweeter are OK. Once the crossover has been repaired, you should be OK.

S

sauravpat

Audiophyte
Since they're no longer under warranty (falling voided that), stop shaking it while the music is playing unless you want to kill your amplifier.

With the amplifier turned off:
If you can see the screws that hold the woofer in place, remove them and carefully lift the woofer out. It's likely that the heaviest component on the crossover has come loose- re-secure it. They may have used hot glue- if you have that, use it.

Since you didn't mention any kind of scraping sound, I think the woofer and tweeter are OK. Once the crossover has been repaired, you should be OK.
Thank you so much for your reply.

So, after a little bit of shaking, it has suddenly returned to normal but it will surely again start buzzing with any small movement.

I can try and do what you suggested but I am not understanding how I can open the speaker up. There are no exposed screws. it is completely sealed. can you please tell me how to open up the speaker?

it has a fabric mesh cover. no exposed openings anywhere. how do I get in the speaker properly?

thanks in advance!

1403031-yamaha-ns-p40-speaker-black-picture-large.jpg

highfigh

highfigh

Thank you so much for your reply.

So, after a little bit of shaking, it has suddenly returned to normal but it will surely again start buzzing with any small movement.

I can try and do what you suggested but I am not understanding how I can open the speaker up. There are no exposed screws. it is completely sealed. can you please tell me how to open up the speaker?

it has a fabric mesh cover. no exposed openings anywhere. how do I get in the speaker properly?

thanks in advance!
If the grills are glued on, I guess the only thing to do is use them and live with it unless you can find a way to get in. This will probably damage the grill, though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If the grills are glued on, I guess the only thing to do is use them and live with it unless you can find a way to get in. This will probably damage the grill, though.
How about through the terminal cup on the back? If it's removable you could gain access there. Sounds to me like it could just be a wire touching the woofer, which would be a easy fix.

highfigh

highfigh

How about through the terminal cup on the back? If it's removable you could gain access there. Sounds to me like it could just be a wire touching the woofer, which would be a easy fix.
The crossover is probably mounted to the rear and being small speakers, that would make this difficult, although it's possible that the face is held on from behind, so it's worth a shot. I think a coil came off of the crossover.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I highly doubt the grills are glued on. I bet there is some type of press fit fastener or magnets. If so the grills will pry out with a flat blade.

If the grills are glued in then the speakers are just rubbish, as they are unfixable. I have never encountered that. But I suppose with the ongoing race to the bottom anything is possible.

highfigh

highfigh

I highly doubt the grills are glued on. I bet there is some type of press fit fastener or magnets. If so the grills will pry out with a flat blade.

If the grills are glued in then the speakers are just rubbish, as they are unfixable. I have never encountered that. But I suppose with the ongoing race to the bottom anything is possible.
A lot of small speaker grills have been glued on because the systems are meant to be set up and used until they don't work.

Not everyone can afford the expensive stuff and you need to realize that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

A lot of small speaker grills have been glued on because the systems are meant to be set up and used until they don't work.

Not everyone can afford the expensive stuff and you need to realize that.
It is still totally unacceptable to glue a speaker grill onto a speaker. This looks to be part of set, and so one failing dooms the whole set. In that case the only repair would be to cut out most of the back, and then replace it with a false back. That would make the speaker stand out a little further from the wall, but would get the job done.
I don't purchase speakers ever, by the way. I also don't glue my grills on!

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

It is still totally unacceptable to glue a speaker grill onto a speaker. This looks to be part of set, and so one failing dooms the whole set. In that case the only repair would be to cut out most of the back, and then replace it with a false back. That would make the speaker stand out a little further from the wall, but would get the job done.
I don't purchase speakers ever, by the way. I also don't glue my grills on!
Glue prevents people opening them and horsing around inside.

I never made grills for the speakers I built, either.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis