New Home Theater Room Equip Thoughts

P

proton1775

Audiophyte
Hello, I’m building a new house that has a designated media/theater room. It’s 12x16x9 and has no windows, nooks, crannies, etc. Just a closet for the electronics. The walls will have sound insulation (rockwool I think) and it’s carpeted.

Main seating (trundle couch) will be approx. 10 feet from the screen (length of room). Behind the couch I’m looking to do bar height table and approx. 4 high top chairs.

Aiming for 7.2.4 and would prefer rears/surrounds to be in wall. Use will be 90% movies and 10% multi-channel music (concerts).

Here are my thoughts regarding equipment. Total cost below is approximately my budget for the listed items but I have wiggle room.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050UB $4,000
Screen: Silver Ticket 2:35:1 (white) $ 300

Denon AVR-X3700H $1,300
Outlaw 2220 (x 3 for LCR) $1,200 ($400x3)

Monoprice THX-365T Mini Tower (x2) $1,000 ($500x2)
Monoprice THX-365C $ 400
Monoprice THX-265IW in-wall (x4) $1,200 ($300x4)
Monoprice 10in. THX Subwoofer (x2) $1,000 ($500x2)
Monoprice in ceiling x4 $ 300 (?x4)
(not sure which in-ceilings would best match)

Cost / Budget approx. $10,700

I was originally looking at an 11 channel receiver but am leaning towards separate amplification for LCR. Also, not sure which Monoprice in-ceilings would match best w/ the THX line.

What are your thoughts? Any areas to spend less or spend more? Too much, to little for size of room? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks pretty good to me. I think the towers are overkill, and you could go with the 3-way stand mount speakers without losing anything. The kind of amplification you are looking at is a bit overkill as well. I would be looking at a model 7000X for the front LCR and surrounds. You will not use anywhere near 300 watts in any channel with a 10-foot listening distance in a room of that size.

Using the 7000X and the standmount speakers would still be a bit overkill, but not as much. If it were me, I would beef up the subs by going to the Monolith 12" THX Ultras.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For a small room like that, I would do no more than 5.2.4. and just get a 9.2Ch AVR to do all 9 speakers.

Also saves on speakers and extra amps. :D

The Epson 6050UB is a solid choice.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hello, I’m building a new house that has a designated media/theater room. It’s 12x16x9 and has no windows, nooks, crannies, etc. Just a closet for the electronics. The walls will have sound insulation (rockwool I think) and it’s carpeted.

Main seating (trundle couch) will be approx. 10 feet from the screen (length of room). Behind the couch I’m looking to do bar height table and approx. 4 high top chairs.

Aiming for 7.2.4 and would prefer rears/surrounds to be in wall. Use will be 90% movies and 10% multi-channel music (concerts).

Here are my thoughts regarding equipment. Total cost below is approximately my budget for the listed items but I have wiggle room.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050UB $4,000
Screen: Silver Ticket 2:35:1 (white) $ 300

Denon AVR-X3700H $1,300
Outlaw 2220 (x 3 for LCR) $1,200 ($400x3)

Monoprice THX-365T Mini Tower (x2) $1,000 ($500x2)
Monoprice THX-365C $ 400
Monoprice THX-265IW in-wall (x4) $1,200 ($300x4)
Monoprice 10in. THX Subwoofer (x2) $1,000 ($500x2)
Monoprice in ceiling x4 $ 300 (?x4)
(not sure which in-ceilings would best match)

Cost / Budget approx. $10,700

I was originally looking at an 11 channel receiver but am leaning towards separate amplification for LCR. Also, not sure which Monoprice in-ceilings would match best w/ the THX line.

What are your thoughts? Any areas to spend less or spend more? Too much, to little for size of room? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Your setup is a great entry level home theater. If you wanted to save a few bucks, drop down to the new Emotiva 3ch amp for $400/$500. Will give those speakers plenty of juice. Then use the Denon for the remaining channels. You could use the cost savings to go to the 12" subs instead of the 10's.

Also, what size screen are you looking at? How far back do you plan on putting your Projector?

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
That's going to be a killer set up. My HT room is approximately the same size (18.5' × 10.5' × 7.5'). And as @shadyJ suggested I went with dual 12" subwoofers. It's honestly almost too much. I mean, I freaking love it, but it's loud. Louder than any movie theater I've even been in. Right now I'm running a 7.2 , and looking to upgrade to a 7.2.4 as well with in ceiling speakers.

What size screen are you looking at? I currently have a 110" on wall screen, but I'm looking to upgrade to an acoustically transparent screen. I was thinking about going bigger, the "problem" is that I'd lose a bit of length to the room in doing so, and with 2 rows of seating that makes the front row too close for comfort.

P

proton1775

Audiophyte
Thanks for the responses so far. I meant to include screen size. Looking at 115" for the 2.35:1.

If I go to 5.2.4, should it be side surrounds or rear? My build is pre-wired for 7.2.4 so I can do either. The audio install store my builder contracted with has rooms w/ both. I'd lean towards side, but I'm also still leaning full 7 over 5.

Seems like 2, 12" subs is a consensus (even if almost too much!).

If I rely on receiver amplification only, would there be an audible difference between LCR on separates? I'm far from an audiophile but prefer "warmer."

I was leaning towards the minitowers vs bookshelf from a music perspective but perhaps I wouldn't notice the difference. I have this illusion that I'll sit in there and listen to 2-channel, but even if I do, it probably wouldn't be from a high end source.

I tend to over-build, over-order, etc. Tried to push my builder to expand media room to 18 x 16, but was locked in since it's only a semi-custom home. Next build!

Based on your collective feedback, here's where I'm at:
  • 5 vs 7, if 5, sides or rears?
  • Separate amp(s)? If so, I'm okay spending a (little) bit more for quality and avoid humming/hissing (hence the 3 mono single Outlaws)
  • 2 x 12" subs seems like the "right" thing to do!
  • 115" screen size okay? If 16:9 was going 120, but Silver Ticket's 2.35 appears to be 115"

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
5 channel bed layers DO NOT use rears. see any Dolby set up map to get an idea of proper placements.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
1620674321560.png

(sometimes copy and paste on my phone doesn't work too well... this time it did. :D)

P

proton1775

Audiophyte
thanks ryanasur, I thought it was unusual that the media rooms I visited had rears and no sides!!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Here's the link for a 5.x.4 set up using Top Front and Top Back placements which are usually the recommended ones for a 4-channel atmos.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I go to 5.2.4, should it be side surrounds or rear?
I have a 26'x22'x14' HT. I'm doing 5.2.4. My 2 surround speakers are in the 2 rear corners aiming at the listening position, but I don't think it's a big deal. So If I had to choose, I would choose the rear location.

Surround speaker: :D

Front speakers:

Last edited:
P

proton1775

Audiophyte
I have a 26'x22'x14' HT. I'm doing 5.2.4. My 2 surround speakers are in the 2 rear corners aiming at the listening position, but I don't think it's a big deal. So If I had to choose, I would choose the rear location.

Surround speaker: :D

Front speakers:
Thanks again. Did you choose rear for audio purposes or the room, furniture, etc dictated it? Those are serious surround speakers!!

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
If your room is prewired for 7.2.4, you might as well use it. Especially if you've got the budget for it. I'm a super new guy to all of this though, and that's just IMO.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks again. Did you choose rear for audio purposes or the room, furniture, etc dictated it? Those are serious surround speakers!!
I bought the speakers before I had the house built.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah if the room were wired, I'd definitely be trying it out at least :) Can always disable the rear surrounds....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Clearly, there’s no wrong way here- only a matter of preference.

My philosophy is about quality over quantity.

I don’t want 32 speakers just because everyone else has 32 speakers or because my house was prewired for 32 speakers. :D

For example, I would rather have 2 RBH SVTR bed surround speakers than 23 little bitty bed surround speakers everywhere.

But If you prefer 11 speakers or 24 speakers or 32 speakers, then that is the right answer every time.

Unless you were just gonna get the same surround speakers anyway regardless of how many surrounds you have, then adding just 2 more surrounds is absolutely no big deal only FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, right @Gmoney ? :D

P

proton1775

Audiophyte
Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should do 24 speakers!! LOL.

I'm going 7, changing amp to Outlaw 7000x and sticking w/ the 3-way bookshelf "mini towers." Just gotta figure out which Monoprice ceiling speakers pair best w/ the rest (although probably not a big deal).

Debating on the 12" subs. Only thing holding me back is the size/98 pounds. Who am I kidding - it's gonna be 12"! Can always turn them down if "too much."

Thanks again for all the feedback.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis