Budget Streamer + Amplifier alternatives

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

For a new setup I am preparing I was considering the Bluesound powernode 2im but while researching I came to the ultra-budget Arylic A50.

I have even seen reviews that say that the Arylic sounds better, which is quite unreasonable considering that it costs 150€ vs 700€ for the Powernode.

I am looking for alternatives to the Arylic A50 that provide streaming and amplification. Just to be clear, I am not looking for 150-200€ alternatives... Just any alternatives that cost between 200€ and 600€ which could be considered better that the Arylic A50 in any way. Even if it means buying a streamer and amplifier separately as long as the overall cost is within that range.

Can you think of some alternatives?

Thanks!
RS.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just read a review of the Allo Boss 2 on ASR so that with a decent power amp might be a thought if it suits your purposes otherwise. I wouldn't expect too much from the A50 as an amp, but what speakers/use would determine that more....and didn't find the Powernode 2i amp spec at all. As to claims of how something "sounds"....meh.

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern
Just read a review of the Allo Boss 2 on ASR so that with a decent power amp might be a thought if it suits your purposes otherwise. I wouldn't expect too much from the A50 as an amp, but what speakers/use would determine that more....
Thank you! This one is very close to a DIY alternative, the cost is very low too.

....and didn't find the Powernode 2i amp spec at all. As to claims of how something "sounds"....meh.
Agreed.

It would be interesting to know if there are 500€ streamers that also provide amplification...

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Maybe the Yamaha WXA-50 will work for you? If you can find one in stock. $500 USD.

I use the WXC-50 paired with an Outlaw Audio 7500 amp. $350USD.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you! This one is very close to a DIY alternative, the cost is very low too.

Agreed.

It would be interesting to know if there are 500€ streamers that also provide amplification...
AVRs could be a candidate if you just want one box....

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern
AVRs could be a candidate if you just want one box....
It is an alternative but in this case I am looking for something quite small. I already have an AVR for the media room. Thanks!

Maybe the Yamaha WXA-50 will work for you? If you can find one in stock. $500 USD.

I use the WXC-50 paired with an Outlaw Audio 7500 amp. $350USD.
Thank you, the Yamaha WXA-50 is indeed a serious alternative! I can get it new for 390€ or second had with guarantee from a shop for 250€.

I read the specs and the amp is rated 70W at 6 ohms, but only in the US site:

I see this:

105 W + 105 W (4 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2-ch driven), 70 W + 70 W (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2-ch driven), 55 W + 55 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2-ch driven)

This is significantly more than the Arylic 35W-50W.

Are you happy with the Yamaha WCX-50 application? Do you use Tidal or Spotify? Do you have other Musiccast devices linked?

Thanks,
RS

Last edited:
nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
It is an alternative but in this case I am looking for something quite small. I already have an AVR for the media room. Thanks!

Thank you, the Yamaha WXA-50 is indeed a serious alternative! I can get it new for 390€ or second had with guarantee from a shop for 250€.

I read the specs and the amp is rated 70W at 6 ohms, but only in the US site:

I see this:

105 W + 105 W (4 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2-ch driven), 70 W + 70 W (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2-ch driven), 55 W + 55 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2-ch driven)

This is significantly more than the Arylic 35W-50W.

Are you happy with the Yamaha WCX-50 application? Do you use Tidal or Spotify? Do you have other Musiccast devices linked?

Thanks,
RS
I have Spotify, Amazon HD and Tidal. The kids use Spotify or connect via BT directly with their phones while I use Tidal or CD. Works great! No issues so far.

The remote is a little cheesy but it does what it needs to do. I do use an old Harmony Touch I had in the drawer and it functions fine. But I think I prefer the Yamaha app more so than the remote.

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern
I have Spotify, Amazon HD and Tidal. The kids use Spotify or connect via BT directly with their phones while I use Tidal or CD. Works great! No issues so far.

The remote is a little cheesy but it does what it needs to do. I do use an old Harmony Touch I had in the drawer and it functions fine. But I think I prefer the Yamaha app more so than the remote.

Thanks for the comments and insight.

I am almost convinced to go for Musiccast.

I have even subcribed to Tidal and I am trying it with BT for now. I have also started using the Google Assistant with Tidal (works pretty well!).

Now when it comes to Google Assitant + Musiccast + Tidal... I cannot test it, have you?

How does Musiccast integrate with Tidal? I read that you do not use the Tidal app... but then... Can you use the Collections, Playlists etc?

I cannot find much information about this.

Maybe I should open a separate thread?

Thanks,
RS.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Alternatives? Yeah, place iTunes on your PC instead of purchasing any streamer just yet. Then sign up for the trial subscription of Apple Music.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the comments and insight.

I am almost convinced to go for Musiccast.

I have even subcribed to Tidal and I am trying it with BT for now. I have also started using the Google Assistant with Tidal (works pretty well!).

Now when it comes to Google Assitant + Musiccast + Tidal... I cannot test it, have you?

How does Musiccast integrate with Tidal? I read that you do not use the Tidal app... but then... Can you use the Collections, Playlists etc?

I cannot find much information about this.

Maybe I should open a separate thread?

Thanks,
RS.
It has Playlist and your own music as options. I have not tried Amazon Alexa with it though. I never use Alexa, makes me feel older like I am talking to myself. Lol

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern
It has Playlist and your own music as options. I have not tried Amazon Alexa with it though. I never use Alexa, makes me feel older like I am talking to myself. Lol

Si I take it (and from what I understand of what I read around) that you cannot use Tidal connect with these devices yet.

It is being quite difficult to decide. Way more than I expected.

I am now considering options like the Nad C 338 or the Yamaha RX-S602, both around 600€

But I am also considering a streamer DAC pre-amp connected to a stereo amplifier. i.e an Arylic S50 pro+ connected to a XTZ Edge A2-300 (These would be 700€ together).

Thanks,
RS.

R

real_shark

Audioholic Intern

In the end I have paired the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 with the XTZ Edge A2-300 and now looking for plain streamers pre-amps to connect to the amplifier (right now I am using an Xduoo XD05 Plus as DAC pre-amp with a phone as a source). I am very satisfied with the results.

The best candidate for what I want right now is a Bluesound Node N130 and not been able to find a viable alternative.

Thanks,
RS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis