HDMI Connection not Permitted

S

SandyB

Enthusiast
Hi,

I got this message on my screen all of a sudden and have tried so many ways to resolve to no avail. I have a Sony Bravia TV connected to Tivo and Pioneer VSX-LX302 receiver. I've tried using different HDMI cables and still get the message. The only way this would work if I plug my TV directly into Tivo, bypassing the receiver. This tells me it's the receiver that may be the problem with HDCP keys but not sure how else to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Look at the specifications for hdmi and hdcp. Chances are you have something in the chain that is incompatible

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

I got this message on my screen all of a sudden and have tried so many ways to resolve to no avail. I have a Sony Bravia TV connected to Tivo and Pioneer VSX-LX302 receiver. I've tried using different HDMI cables and still get the message. The only way this would work if I plug my TV directly into Tivo, bypassing the receiver. This tells me it's the receiver that may be the problem with HDCP keys but not sure how else to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.
I suspect the problem is on the HDMI board of the receiver. It sounds to me as if the repeater architecture on the board is not functioning properly.

I would try a reset back to factor defaults. I would attempt this at least three time before you accept defeat.

Also you might try another TV if you have one.

How long is your HDMI cable? Issues can arise with these 4K systems if the cable is a passive one longer than 12 feet.

If the cable is less than 12 ft. and a reset does not solve the problem, I suspect your receiver needs a new HDMI board. If the receiver is out of warranty, it may not be worth it.

That is a receiver at the low end of the food chain, at just below $500.00. In addition Pioneer/Onkyo are close to bankruptcy. That outfit have a long history of HDMI board problems. From a quick search it seems they still are. I found reports of customers having multiple HDMI board failures with that receiver.

I know it is not very old, but I would strongly advise against spending any serious cash on that receiver.

If it comes to replacement, then I advise moving a long way up the food chain, so to speak, for a 4K Atmos receiver.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hi,

Hello and welcome. Some questions for you. Did it ever work? Were changes made to settings in any of the devices before it stopped working? What are the models of the TV and TiVo? What kind of HDMI cables are you using to connect devices?

S

SandyB

Enthusiast
Hello and welcome. Some questions for you. Did it ever work? Were changes made to settings in any of the devices before it stopped working? What are the models of the TV and TiVo? What kind of HDMI cables are you using to connect devices?
Hi,

Thank you. I did since the beginning around 2017. I went out of town and turned on the TV when I returned to get this message. Changes were not made to the settings. The TV is a Sony Bravia 75XBR850E and Tivo is a Pace (all I know). All the HDMI cables show to be high speed. There are no other info on those cables.

S

SandyB

Enthusiast
Look at the specifications for hdmi and hdcp. Chances are you have something in the chain that is incompatible
All of a sudden? It has been working for the past 4-5 years since I bought the TV and receiver. Where would I find this info?

S

SandyB

Enthusiast
I suspect the problem is on the HDMI board of the receiver. It sounds to me as if the repeater architecture on the board is not functioning properly.

I would try a reset back to factor defaults. I would attempt this at least three time before you accept defeat.

Also you might try another TV if you have one.

How long is your HDMI cable? Issues can arise with these 4K systems if the cable is a passive one longer than 12 feet.

If the cable is less than 12 ft. and a reset does not solve the problem, I suspect your receiver needs a new HDMI board. If the receiver is out of warranty, it may not be worth it.

That is a receiver at the low end of the food chain, at just below $500.00. In addition Pioneer/Onkyo are close to bankruptcy. That outfit have a long history of HDMI board problems. From a quick search it seems they still are. I found reports of customers having multiple HDMI board failures with that receiver.

I know it is not very old, but I would strongly advise against spending any serious cash on that receiver.

If it comes to replacement, then I advise moving a long way up the food chain, so to speak, for a 4K Atmos receiver.
Wow, thought I did enough research before I bought it. What other receivers are reliable? I see Atmos is way out of my price range.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Have you tried connecting another device to the receiver to see if it passes a picture to the TV? What is the message that appeared on the TV? Forgot to ask, but did anybody else have access to your system while you were gone?

Last edited:
S

SandyB

Enthusiast
What about the other devices?
TV is up to date and
Have you tried connecting another device to the receiver to see if it passes a picture to the TV? What is the message that appeared on the TV? Forgot to ask, but did anybody else have access to your system while you were gone?
I wouldn't be able to connect another TV as it's too big for me to handle and move to another room. No way can I move the receiver either since it is connected to speakers. This is the message. V60 Tivo error code

The copyright holder of this video does not allow it to be viewed on an unsecured device connected with an HDMI cable. If you were trying to watch this video using an HDMI cable connected to a TV, that TV is not correctly supporting HDCP (HD copy protection) and you will need to switch to using a different cable.”

How do I even determine what is the cause?

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I meant connecting say a streaming device or disc player using the cable from the TiVo to the Pioneer. Try bringing up the Pioneers Setup Menu using it's remote control. Does it display on the TV?

S

SandyB

Enthusiast
I meant connecting say a streaming device or disc player using the cable from the TiVo to the Pioneer. Try bringing up the Pioneers Setup Menu using it's remote control. Does it display on the TV?
Yes the pioneer menu does display on the tv. So you want me to test the dvd player with same hdmi cable that connects the tivo/pioneer?

S

SandyB

Enthusiast
Yes the pioneer menu does display on the tv. So you want me to test the dvd player with same hdmi cable that connects the tivo/pioneer?
I do have a Sony DVD player also connected and just played a movie with no problem

S

SandyB

Enthusiast
Yes, give that a try.
Sony DVD player works just fine.

So TV connected to Tivo works fine. With TV connected to receiver and receiver connected to Tivo it doesn't work at all and gives that HDMI connection not permitted message. DVD works fine. Tried different HDMI cables and no resolution. What could it be?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What could it be?
Not meaning to steal Treb's thunder, but following his line of reason, it's the digital board in the AVR. Something there in the HDCP isn't passing code.
If you were to go through the standard steps of troubleshooting protocol that the SU crew most customer service teams will have you do: You will do a soft reset and try. Then a hard reset and try. There will be a reinstall of the firmware likely....
You may want to try those steps yourself, but you will have to repeat them if your machine is still under warranty and you call anybody and want to try getting it serviced.

edit: got threads confused. you have a Pioneer, somebody else is having Denon 3600 issues. Onkyo/Pioneer is a sh!tshow these days and you may not be able to get it serviced easily, if at all, and yours is well outside of warranty range.

Last edited:
S

SandyB

Enthusiast
Not meaning to steal Treb's thunder, but following his line of reason, it's the digital board in the AVR. Something there in the HDCP isn't passing code.
If you were to go through the standard steps of troubleshooting protocol that the SU crew most customer service teams will have you do: You will do a soft reset and try. Then a hard reset and try. There will be a reinstall of the firmware likely....
You may want to try those steps yourself, but you will have to repeat them if your machine is still under warranty and you call anybody and want to try getting it serviced.

edit: got threads confused. you have a Pioneer, somebody else is having Denon 3600 issues. Onkyo/Pioneer is a sh!tshow these days and you may not be able to get it serviced easily, if at all, and yours is well outside of warranty range.

S

SandyB

Enthusiast
I could try the reset. How do you do a soft reset? Is that unplugging the receiver? Assuming a hard reset is resetting to manufacture settings?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis