AC receiver + speaker

A

Ax1lla

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am putting together the various components for my theater room. So far, I have a purchased the Epson 2250 and 120 inch silver ticket screen.

I now need to get my audio equipment. My requirements are 7.2. I would also like to have 2 zones. My theater room will be 5.2 but I ran two more speaker wires out to the pool room as well, so that I could listen to music the same time somebody is watching TV if I wanted to (if I am misunderstanding zones and how they work, please let me know). I was hoping to be around $700 but don’t really want to go higher than 1000 ( for the receiver). . I’m curious as to what you guys think is the best for this budget. Also, what are the best quality brands for audio receiver these days? I did not have the best experience with my previous Onkyo surround sound system....

I also don’t want to break the bank with my speakers but don’t want something too cheap at the same time. So if there’s any recommendations on this as well, I would highly appreciate it. I will be mounting my front and back speakers to corner of ceiling.

As I’m starting to poke around I found:
Sony STR-DN1080 and Denon AVR-S960H

not sure if these are ok? I REALLY like the thought of using Alexa to control the Denon.
tks.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I have a HT system (at our Family Cabin) with the Sony STR-DN1060, and a STR-DN1050 in our family room. While they are very capable receivers, I also have a Denon AVRX-4400H Atmos setup in the Games Room, and a Denon AVR-S900W in the basement where I seem to spend a lot of my time. So I figure I can offer some good guidance.

According to the STR-DN1080 Manual.

• Listening in two locations ― Zone 2
You can simultaneously enjoy music in another room by connecting speakers located in the other room to the SPEAKERS ZONE 2 (*1) or SPEAKERS SURROUND BACK/HEIGHT (*2) terminals. For example, you can simultaneously listen to the same music from AV devices located in the living room and kitchen, or enjoy different music in the kitchen while you watch a movie in the living room.

The volume can be adjusted separately for each room.

*1For USA and Canadian models only

*2For other models only

I don't know where you are so I just copied the above. But as you are talking dollars, I'll assume somewhere in the USA.

For Denon check out Accessories4Less as they can have some great deals - typically around Special Days (Mothers Day, Easter, July 1, etc.)

Currently they have an AVR-X2700H with a 3 year warranty for $750 USD with free shipping that could fit your needs. But you may find something a bit better when they have a Sale, so you'll need to keep watching so you are ready when you want to pull the trigger.

According to the AVR-X2700H Manual

"Playback in ZONE2 (Another room) You can operate this unit to enjoy audio in a room (ZONE2) that is different from the room where this unit is placed (MAIN ZONE). You can simultaneously play back the same source in both the MAIN ZONE and ZONE2. You can also play back separate sources in the MAIN ZONE and ZONE2. If the input for ZONE2 is set to “Source”, both digital and analog connected devices can be listened to from ZONE2. If the input for ZONE2 is set to a specific source (like CBL/SAT), only connected analog devices can be listened to from ZONE2."

Now my personal preference between a Sony STR-DN1080 and Denon AVR-X2700H (or better) would be the Denon as it has better flexibility. All of my Denons have been rock solid. The Sony STR-DN Line has also had some reliability issues. We had an STR-DN860 fail at the Cabin before we got the 1060.) However, the Sony has the easiest remote to operate I've ever seen.

Please advise how large (L x W x H) the room is going to be if you want to talk speakers (including Subs) and any features we should know about like L shape, Open on one end, etc.

I hope this is helpful.

A

Ax1lla

Enthusiast
This is fantastic. Thank you for the detailed response. I am leaning towards the Denon now also simply because I love the idea of Alexa integration.

My theatre room is 14'10" X 19'10" I am also including a picture of the room itself. It's a little dirty, etc. as the basement is JUST getting officially finished :) The blue tape on the far wall is the rough outline of my projector. I was trying to see exactly how big of a screen I could get on that wall. I went with 120 inches.

theatre_room_small.jpg

A

Ax1lla

Enthusiast
FYI, it looks like that Denon AVR-X2700H is refurbished. Thats why its a lower price. It is $900 new on Amazon.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you can swing it I think the Denon 3700 is right in the sweet spot for performance and features per dollar. Better room correction and a full set of preouts should you want to ad an amp down the road. If you can find one refurbed, or even the previous model, the 3600, that'd be my choice.

A

Ax1lla

Enthusiast
Thanks - that's definitely a bit outside my budget tbh. I don't want to go overboard with features I will in all honestly...never utilize. I sometimes feel that way about the multi-zone. I think its nice to have the option, but if you look at my pic...there is no door or separation from my theatre room to my pool room. At first we were going to....but we opted to keep it open. So, honestly....I'm not sure how helpful multi zone will be. I can't imagine someone watching a movie in there.....while I am playing pool listening to some tunes. but, we eventually might put up a double door separation. Not sure.

A

Ax1lla

Enthusiast
Newbie question......can you have a 5.2 setup that has multiple zones? I just assumed I needed 7.2. But, can I have a 5.2 setup, but have another zone that goes to 2 other speakers in my pool room? Again, sorry if that is a dumb question.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure you could have a 5.2 with multiple zones. Most avrs are at least 7ch, tho. Might want to settle on speakers/locations before you decide on avr/amplification needs.

A

Ax1lla

Enthusiast
Ooh. Ok. I have speaker location. Going with 5.2 in theatre room. But I figured I had to go with 7.2 to utilize multi zone. If that’s the case then...any recommendations in AC receivers that are 5.2 with two zones?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ooh. Ok. I have speaker location. Going with 5.2 in theatre room. But I figured I had to go with 7.2 to utilize multi zone. If that’s the case then...any recommendations in AC receivers that are 5.2 with two zones?
Well any 7.2 avr can be 5.2, you just don't connect rear surrounds (or front heights or whatever its capable of in 7ch processing). With multiple zones you're going to need to look at which avrs can provide amplification for all if you don't want to buy additional external amps (say if you want 9 channels of available amplification for a 5ch plus two zones of 2ch each). Some avrs require external amps for zones. Need to review the details and plan accordingly. Keep in mind some avrs can process more channels than they have on-board amps for, too.

A

Ax1lla

Enthusiast
That doesn't even do zones, does it?
I'm not sure....I guess not. I saw this and though maybe it was multi-zone:
"EXTEND THE REACH OF YOUR MUSIC to any room in the house via Wi-Fi, Airplay or Bluetooth with HEOS MULTI-ROOM WIRELESS SPEAKERS – No Command Center or extra hardware required. "

I am a bit overwhelmed with trying to figure this out. I just want an AVR that is 5.2 and....that I can also play music out of the other two speakers I have ready in my pool room. I saw a video somewhere from somebody at audioholics that also said to not consider anything less than 100w per channel.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
First thing I would recommend is setting a budget for us to go off of. Given this, research and read the manuals for the devices you are interested in. Does the capability of the AVR match what you want? For me, I own an Anthem MRX-740 which will do all you want and sound great also. It will drive 7.1 or 7.2 without issue and do a zone 2. Given this, we need to know what you are trying to do. That will help us to help you. I will state before hand the MRX-740 is NOT cheap. Including installation I needed due to physical disability, I paid $3000 for the device including an Anthem Room Correction (ARC) installation. It sounds wonderful.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure....I guess not. I saw this and though maybe it was multi-zone:
"EXTEND THE REACH OF YOUR MUSIC to any room in the house via Wi-Fi, Airplay or Bluetooth with HEOS MULTI-ROOM WIRELESS SPEAKERS – No Command Center or extra hardware required. "

I am a bit overwhelmed with trying to figure this out. I just want an AVR that is 5.2 and....that I can also play music out of the other two speakers I have ready in my pool room. I saw a video somewhere from somebody at audioholics that also said to not consider anything less than 100w per channel.
Gotta read the nitty gritty details....manuals are very helpful, more so than just advertising materials (I generally go right to the manufacturer's site rather than use any ads and I usually forgo the flowery prose describing stuff).

HEOS is a wifi solution, but will take HEOS enabled gear in other rooms for multi room audio (which I suspect is beyond your budget).

Aiming for around 100wpc on an avr is decent but keep in mind avrs are generally more similar in power than drastically different, it takes a doubling of power to gain a mere 3dB spl.

It seems you don't need Atmos (or is that something you'd like to do down the line in your main room?). Do you need 4K feature set? Shopping used could be an option....

A

Ax1lla

Enthusiast
I would like to be at around $1500 for both speakers and receiver. 2K would be my max.

I guess I don't want/need 7.1/2. I only wired for 5.2 in my theatre room. Period. So, not changing that. Additionally, I would like to utilize the two other speakers I ran behind the walls for my pool room. I'm guessing this requires two zones. To be honest...I could probably live without having two zones because I highly doubt I would be listening to music at same time as someone watching a movie. But....I figure if its only a little more pricy....I would do it just in case we separate those rooms. I also want Alexa integration if possible.

A

Ax1lla

Enthusiast
Gotta read the nitty gritty details....manuals are very helpful, more so than just advertising materials (I generally go right to the manufacturer's site rather than use any ads and I usually forgo the flowery prose describing stuff).

HEOS is a wifi solution, but will take HEOS enabled gear in other rooms for multi room audio (which I suspect is beyond your budget).

Aiming for around 100wpc on an avr is decent but keep in mind avrs are generally more similar in power than drastically different, it takes a doubling of power to gain a mere 3dB spl.

It seems you don't need Atmos (or is that something you'd like to do down the line in your main room?). Do you need 4K feature set? Shopping used could be an option....
At this point, I am not doing Atmos. I might consider down the road, but....not now. My projector accepts 4k but down converts it. So, not a requirement really.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, if you want to talk to your gear then the used/older avr idea is probably out the window as that's a relatively recent feature. Having Atmos and the latest/greatest 4k capability isn't necessarily a bad thing, tho (altho for 8k I wouldn't bother at all). Getting all those features over better speakers would make me think about how much I really needed those features.

Just what were you thinking about for speakers? Subs? You already installed the two in the wall in the pool room? What are they? You might be a candidate for a simple switch altho zone 2 would work well to even switch back and forth between the two modes (or for a party play in both simultaneously perhaps). Keep in mind also to play in zone 2 you may be restricted by type of connection your source employs (say hdmi vs analog).

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Ax1lla,

I knew the Team would jump onto your request. ;)
(I'm confused a bit. I think you have no speakers yet - you only have chosen locations for them. Please clarify. Thanks.)

Based on your desires and small budget (IMHO => sorry), I suggest you focus on a 7.2 channel capable receiver that can do 2 Zones with one or two Sub connections. To do what you want with a $2K budget will be tough. Even doing a Receiver for $750 only leaves you $1250 for 7 speakers and at least one Sub.

You may have to pare that down to $500 for the receiver (something like a AVR-S950H or whatever comes on Sale when you are ready to buy) and live without some of the newest features, so you can get speakers to suit the budget. I would suggest starting out with your 5.1 set-up and then add the pool room speakers later. Even $1500 for 5 speakers and one Sub will be quite a challenge.

Perhaps something like this SVS Prime 5.1 System with 2 more Satellite Speakers for the Pool Room. Whatever Speakers you buy make sure it has a no (or little) cost return policy. You really won't know if you like it until you here them in your space.

What are your thoughts here?

Last edited:
A

Ax1lla

Enthusiast
Ax1lla,

I knew the Team would jump onto your request. ;)
(I'm confused a bit. I think you have no speakers yet - you only have chosen locations for them. Please clarify. Thanks.)

Based on your desires and small budget (IMHO => sorry), I suggest you focus on a 7.2 channel capable receiver that can do 2 Zones with one or two Sub connections. To do what you want with a $2K budget will be tough. Even doing a Receiver for $750 only leaves you $1250 for 7 speakers and at least one Sub.

You may have to pare that down to $500 for the receiver (something like a AVR-S950H or whatever comes on Sale when you are ready to buy) and live without some of the newest features, so you can get speakers to suit the budget. I would suggest starting out with your 5.1 set-up and then add the pool room speakers later. Even $1500 for 5 speakers and one Sub will be quite a challenge.

Perhaps something like this SVS Prime 5.1 System with 2 more Satellite Speakers for the Pool Room. Whatever Speakers you buy make sure it has a no (or little) cost return policy. You really won't know if you like it until you here them in your space.

What are your thoughts here?
You are correct, I have no speakers yet. Just the locations and speaker wires already fed to the location.

So, the thing I may have been confused on is....I really don't want a 7. system in my theatre room. Just 5.2. But...I mistakenly thought I needed that for multi zone. So, I think I just want to find something that is 5.2 with multi zone. Does this make sense? Also, the more I think about it...I'm not even sure the multi zone thing matters tbh. If you look at my pic up above....we don't have that theatre room closed off with doors. So, honestly, I'm not sure it matters. There is no way somebody could listen to music while others are watching a movie. It would just bleed together. I guess I just wanted two zones JUST IN CASE we closed that off in a year or so.

As far as speakers go.....reading the above worries me. I guess I didn't expect to go that high on cost. I see ones advertised all the time that come with the receiver...and they are not that expensive. Does that mean they are trash?

I don't need a second sub right away for my theatre room, so I assume I can just use one sub until I get another one down the road.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis