hi I am looking for suggestions on AV receiver for 150 watts power per channel for klipsch rp8060FA speakers in 5.1.2 set up.

P

panditusa

Audiophyte
Hi
Looking for suggestions for av-receiver in range of 150 watts power per channel for klipsch speakers in 5.1.2 set up. Need good quality sound- used for mainly movies. and some music.
some gaming.
Thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How far do you sit from your speakers? Yours are optimistically rated at 98 dB sensitivity. Let's call it 93 since Klipsch tend to bloat that spec, but still pretty sensitive. You don't need a ton of power to make those play very loud. Not many avrs aside from flagship models are going to have that kind of power. A good mid tier receiver should be plenty, and if you still think you want more... well at that point I'd just get a separate amp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is a perfect thread to bust out the ol' homestead spl calculator. Check it out, you just fill in the boxes with the correct info and it'll give you a good idea of the relation between power and spl.

I think a Denon AVR X3700H is all the avr you need.

P

panditusa

Audiophyte
I have Yamaha v685
95 watts per channel.
I am thinking about around 150 watts to get better clarity.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have Yamaha v685
95 watts per channel.
Why would the slight bit of extra power (2dB) give you the clarity you seek particularly?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have Yamaha v685
95 watts per channel.
55 watts isn't gonna give you more clarity, but it'll give you teensy bit more max volume. You have to double your power just to gain 3 dB so that's kinda my rule of thumb. If you're gonna do it, double what you have now or there isn't much gained. Did you check out that spl calculator I linked?

Besides, you're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for more clarity unless you need it at extreme volumes. Your speakers, source and room are what's in charge there. How far do you sit, and how's your speaker placement? Did you run ypao or try using tone controls? Experiment with toe in? All of that stuff has a big impact on how your speakers are gonna sound. Unless you're maxing your volume out now, your speakers will still sound the same with a more powerful amp. There will just be more power on reserve, not being used at all.

P

panditusa

Audiophyte
I did check with your spl calculator
What am I looking into here
Speakers can take upto 600 watts peak and I think rms, not sure what is it? , is 160 watts.
so I am giving only 65% of power. Not sure if I am right or wrong
Guide me if I am wrong

Attachments

P

panditusa

Audiophyte
Speakers can take upto 600 watts peak and I think rms, not sure what is it? , is 160 watts.
Guide me if I am wrong

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Guide me if I am wrong
What that shows you is you can hit 112 dB with 95 watts at your seat. That is what we audiophiles call "insane volume". Even 90-95 dB is dangerous with prolonged exposure and you can hit that at your seat with those speakers with only 5 watts! I'll bet you use no more than a couple of watts for normal listening.

I really don't think have a power problem. Go ahead and punch in 150 watts and see how it affects the spl.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree it gives me 2 more DB. But why do I hear that high wattage can move speakers better at lower volumes and give you fullness and separation of instruments better.
Because a lot of people don't understand how it works.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your speakers will not sound different or better than they currently do. They will sound exactly the same, just louder, with more power. What exactly is the current issue?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree it gives me 2 more DB. But why do I hear that high wattage can move speakers better at lower volumes and give you fullness and separation of instruments better.
Where do you "hear" this sort of thing, tho?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis