A little help for my home theater

A

Amer95

Audiophyte
Hello people, I hope you're doing well

I recently bought Panasonic XC385h home theater system and whenever I go to settings to set the dB levels for the speakers I can only set the dB levels between -6 and +6 and I know that the proper dB are between 75 and 80 , does anyone know about this issue? I looked for everything in the settings and I couldn't find any thing.

Thank you

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's what's called a trim level for adjusting a particular speaker or pair of speakers generally, and the range can be +/- 10,12, even 15 dB, just depends on the brand/gear involved. A dB reading on an spl meter for 75 or 80 would depend on a few things, but generally the test tones you would measure at those levels is for calibrating the system overall, to level match among the speakers/subs and to approximate a known standard like a THX movie level...nothing to do with individual trim levels particularly except to adjust a particular speaker/pair of speakers to match others in the system (or to raise/lower it to preference rather than reference). What are you trying to do particularly?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hi and welcome.

You need to use a spl meter (phone app can work) and adjust those values relative to the speaker placement and your listing position. Does it give you the option for a test tone for each speaker?

A

Amer95

Audiophyte
Hi and welcome.

You need to use a spl meter (phone app can work) and adjust those values relative to the speaker placement and your listing position. Does it give you the option for a test tone for each speaker?
Hello thank you for replying, Yes it does give me the option to test tone.

A

Amer95

Audiophyte
That's what's called a trim level for adjusting a particular speaker or pair of speakers generally, and the range can be +/- 10,12, even 15 dB, just depends on the brand/gear involved. A dB reading on an spl meter for 75 or 80 would depend on a few things, but generally the test tones you would measure at those levels is for calibrating the system overall, to level match among the speakers/subs and to approximate a known standard like a THX movie level...nothing to do with individual trim levels particularly except to adjust a particular speaker/pair of speakers to match others in the system (or to raise/lower it to preference rather than reference). What are you trying to do particularly?
Hello thank you for replying, I'm a beginner at this and all I know that I must calibrate my home theater to 75~80 dB

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello thank you for replying, I'm a beginner at this and all I know that I must calibrate my home theater to 75~80 dB
Well, no, you don't really. You do want to setup the speakers/sub so that they play together properly in terms of delay and level. I would set the delays (distance) for your seating position then use as adkhighlander mentioned an spl meter (phone app if that's what you have) and set levels for the speakers and subs that way....75dB is easier on the ears even though the THX level most gear aims at is an average level of 85dB (with allowance for 20dB peaks). Some gear came setup so the test tones were at that 85dB level, but many found that too high so many avrs just adjust internally from a 75dB level set.

Is your master volume control setup along the lines of a reference or absolute dB scale? I glanced at your manual, it doesn't seem to have any guidance on that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis