Never heard of this sony branch, muteki, before, is it any good??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was just wondering what kind of local brands you might have, or even some DIY options....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I was just wondering what kind of local brands you might have, or even some DIY options....
For audio, i never heard of a local brand, that didn't boil down to knock off stuff, i know there's an youtuber, pretty good one at that, the quality of his videos is really high for such a niche topic here in brazil, but he's got a local company ,that makes reference headphones, but only that, and liked there's 2 models available

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For audio, i never heard of a local brand, that didn't boil down to knock off stuff, i know there's an youtuber, pretty good one at that, the quality of his videos is really high for such a niche topic here in brazil, but he's got a local company ,that makes reference headphones, but only that, and liked there's 2 models available
How about diy supply houses? We have several to choose from like parts-express.com, meniscusaudio.com, diysoundgroup.com, etc.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
How about diy supply houses? We have several to choose from like parts-express.com, meniscusaudio.com, diysoundgroup.com, etc.
We might have some that sell the speaker cones and stuff, mostly for automotive audio tho

To put into perspective, I've been looking to buy a philips sob 9500, but they aren't available here, so you got 2 options, import it, knowing you might get taxed up to 60%, look for a local one from someone who imports stuff, which, there isn't much merit in doing so cause the prices get inflated, or look for it used, I've only seen 2 used ones on a more professional market, more secure yes, but due to the professionalist prices don't go down much, even if the product is fairly used

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Never took making my own speaker into consideration, since i always though the box design was a big part of the sound, and i probly wouldn't be able to make a good one

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some people did go all the way back then tho, like my gramps, and this guy
That was popular for a brief while many years ago in the US.....mini systems/matched stacks, not sure what to call them....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They look better than the other stuff you were looking at yesterday.

It is hard to believe that's all you can find. I have better speakers I'd give you too, if you were more local. Do you have classifieds like a Craigslist or something? I saw you mentioned Facebook. They suck up here too... lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never took making my own speaker into consideration, since i always though the box design was a big part of the sound, and i probly wouldn't be able to make a good one
There are diy designs for both box and crossover, if you have some woodworking skills and can follow plans for a given design (specific drivers/crossover/box design) and have access to the components you have quite a bit of choice. Here in the US we can often simply buy the box, assembled or knocked down in a flatpack, or at least the baffle in a kit, and maybe even assembled crossovers. I built the Dayton BR-1 kit from parts-express.com a few years ago and assembled my own crossovers, but they did the box (even assembling the box which I didn't actually expect). That speaker was modified into one of Dennis/Philharmonic Audio's Affordable Accuracy Monitors. Depending what drivers are available, there may be a design out there waiting for you to build ?

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
There are diy designs for both box and crossover, if you have some woodworking skills and can follow plans for a given design (specific drivers/crossover/box design) and have access to the components you have quite a bit of choice. Here in the US we can often simply buy the box, assembled or knocked down in a flatpack, or at least the baffle in a kit, and maybe even assembled crossovers. I built the Dayton BR-1 kit from parts-express.com a few years ago and assembled my own crossovers, but they did the box (even assembling the box which I didn't actually expect). That speaker was modified into one of Dennis/Philharmonic Audio's Affordable Accuracy Monitors. Depending what drivers are available, there may be a design out there waiting for you to build ?
Humn, there are lots of automotive audio "shops" but they are more like project garages, and this seems the kinda stuff they would do, have no idea how they source it, or if they make them custom, but even if they do sell those, never seem them tho, id still need woodworking tools, which would bump the price signifacntly, not that they are not justifiable , I'd love to have a wide arragement of tools in my house, but all togheter ain't to good right now

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I mean, some equipment still looks nice stacked.
DIY is a pretty good option for getting decent speakers on the cheap. Kits come in varying degrees of difficulty, the more of the work you can do yourself to put it together the more you can save. I've been toying with building a pair of speakers myself. I could do most of it but would probably get preassembled crossovers.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
DIY is a pretty good option for getting decent speakers on the cheap. Kits come in varying degrees of difficulty, the more of the work you can do yourself to put it together the more you can save. I've been toying with building a pair of speakers myself. I could do most of it but would probably get preassembled crossovers.
Also, i do know my stuff when it comes to headphone systems, but really, i have no idea when it comes to loud speakers, that was pretty apparent when I was totally confused if those connector on those mini speakers wires were just regular speaker cables or not.
So, if it has good instructions, it probly wouldn't be a problem, but i know nothing about drivers and poop
On loud speakers, that is.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also, i do know my stuff when it comes to headphone systems, but really, i have no idea when it comes to loud speakers, that was pretty apparent when I was totally confused if those connector on those mini speakers wires were just regular speaker cables or not.
So, if it has good instructions, it probly wouldn't be a problem, but i know nothing about drivers and poop
On loud speakers, that is.
Well headphones are just really small speakers that you clamp to your head....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They have their peculiar characteristics tho
Yes, agreed. Just different amplification/impedance things to think about for the most part, tho. I just use them when I have to, never by choice compared to using speakers.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Well, let's see how this goes, not only are they the more reliable choice I've come across so far, they are the ones that will fit best in my area, I'm probly going with those, unless by the time I can actually pick them up they've been sold off to someone else

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis