Turning a loudspeaker into a bluetooth semi portable speaker, looking for ideas

A

Aidan

Audiophyte
Ok so i have this Sony SS-U500 3 way and was to make it Bluetooth. I dont know how good the audio on it is, not looking for anything crazy. But basically i want to put a Bluetooth apm in it and have its own power plug. Does anyone have any experience with this type of project, i just want to do it for fun and i think it would be cool to bring places sometimes. The back says the max power rating is 80 Watts which does that mean i cant go any higher and if i should worry about that and its 8 olms. You plug the red black wires in the back like a normal speaker i guess. But im very new. Anyway if you have any ideas i would appreciate it20210423_185211~2.jpg20210423_185230~3.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Ok so i have this Sony SS-U500 3 way and was to make it Bluetooth. I dont know how good the audio on it is, not looking for anything crazy. But basically i want to put a Bluetooth apm in it and have its own power plug. Does anyone have any experience with this type of project, i just want to do it for fun and i think it would be cool to bring places sometimes. The back says the max power rating is 80 Watts which does that mean i cant go any higher and if i should worry about that and its 8 olms. You plug the red black wires in the back like a normal speaker i guess. But im very new. Anyway if you have any ideas i would appreciate itView attachment 46982View attachment 46983
I don’t have any experience with this but there are quite a few videos on YouTube about how to do it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, not really something even in the diy subforum here has much content on. Youtube is probably a good start, and there are definitely small blutooth receiver/amps that can be fitted to a passive speaker like yours. I personally have no use for such speakers as I have already way too much in the way of better gear so not much experiemce from here as much what I've seen of purpose built blutooth portable speakers....easier to just go that way.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Have you connected and listened to the speaker yet?
In the picture the tweeter appears damaged.
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Little more complex than you would think. You can purchase plate amplifiers on Parts Express or Digikey. These are like the amplifiers that come with powered subwoofers. Problem is, music is stereo and you only have one speaker which is mono. You could bridge the inputs to send both signals to one amp and just connect the speakers to one channel for a lark. The other issue is that you will have a hard time finding a plate amp with bluetooth built in, so now you have to find a bluetooth receiver that will output a line level signal to the amp and be able to control the volume. That's going to take some more research and more homework, but the two suppliers I mentioned have a huge parts inventory.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Little more complex than you would think. You can purchase plate amplifiers on Parts Express or Digikey. These are like the amplifiers that come with powered subwoofers. Problem is, music is stereo and you only have one speaker which is mono. You could bridge the inputs to send both signals to one amp and just connect the speakers to one channel for a lark. The other issue is that you will have a hard time finding a plate amp with bluetooth built in, so now you have to find a bluetooth receiver that will output a line level signal to the amp and be able to control the volume. That's going to take some more research and more homework, but the two suppliers I mentioned have a huge parts inventory.
Using a plate amp would complicate things unnecessarily I'd think (lots of cabinet modification alone let alone fitting issues). A small board amp like this is probably more suited in such projects

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Using a plate amp would complicate things unnecessarily I'd think (lots of cabinet modification alone let alone fitting issues). A small board amp like this is probably more suited in such projects
Mono amp and bluetooth built in. Nice find. I would keep it as cheap as possible. ;)
Don't forget the power supply. A 19V laptop power supply usually works well with these.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mono amp and bluetooth built in. Nice find. I would keep it as cheap as possible. ;)
Don't forget the power supply. A 19V laptop power supply usually works well with these.
LOL just searched for what I wanted on amazon :) Easier to find stereo ones, tho....

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Easy to just buy one and leave the advanced technology to the pros haha so hard to diy parts express has models don’t try using a vintage speaker

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Ok so i have this Sony SS-U500 3 way and was to make it Bluetooth. I dont know how good the audio on it is, not looking for anything crazy. But basically i want to put a Bluetooth apm in it and have its own power plug. Does anyone have any experience with this type of project, i just want to do it for fun and i think it would be cool to bring places sometimes. The back says the max power rating is 80 Watts which does that mean i cant go any higher and if i should worry about that and its 8 olms. You plug the red black wires in the back like a normal speaker i guess. But im very new. Anyway if you have any ideas i would appreciate itView attachment 46982View attachment 46983
Your best bet is to see what PE has to offer. These links will get you started, note that they have various accessories and break-out boards for these amps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis