Help with surround sound centre speaker

S

Satans Watching

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, I have a Pioneer av VSX-523-k receiver and Yamaha NS-P60 speakers and I’m having some issues after my 1yr old pressed all the buttons on the av receiver (Yes lesson learned)

After “fixing” the settings, watching movies in 5.1 on Netflix I have noticed most of the sound effects come from the center speaker making movies quite lack luster unless I have the system at almost full volume, I am just wondering if that’s how it’s supposed to be ?
(I also have all the dialogue coming from the centre speaker which I know is correct) I have tried everything I can think of but can’t get many sound effects coming from the L&R front speakers, they mainly have the movie music or some effects when the action is off screen.

My current set up:
Yamaha 5.1 speakers
Pioneer av receiver
Xbox one which is connect via an optical cable to the av receiver

My Xbox one settings:
HDMI-OFF
Optical audio- Bitstream out
Bitstream format- Dolby digital.
I have tried switching between DTS and Dolby digital in Bitstream format but can’t really hear any difference.

Av receiver settings:
Dolby digital currently
Phase option-ON
S.Retriever-ON
Acous.EQ-OFF
I also have the centre speaker up 5 volume compared the the other speakers.

I have tried playing with a myriad of settings with no success Ie auto surround, different options with sound select (movie,music,cinema modes)

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Only thing that stands out to me is the CC being 5db over the rest of the speakers. That could likely make the others too quiet. Also, how did you verify that? Was this set up with mcacc, or manually with an spl meter?
How did it sound before the 1yo intervention? Same settings?

S

Satans Watching

Audiophyte
Only thing that stands out to me is the CC being 5db over the rest of the speakers. That could likely make the others too quiet. Also, how did you verify that? Was this set up with mcacc, or manually with an spl meter?
How did it sound before the 1yo intervention? Same settings?
Thanks for your reply.
I have always had the CC 5db over so I can hear conversations clearly. It was set up manually both times. My only verification is by turning the front L&R speakers off to one side and listening to them during action scenes and that’s when I clarified that really only music and ambience sound was coming from them, no gun shots or armour shattering or foot steps, it’s all coming from the CC now. Before the child got into it, during action scenes it was awesome and loud and only conversations came from the CC, but now it sounds weak and doesn’t give that cinematic feeling during action scenes. Sadly I don’t know if the settings are the same because I set it up in 2015 when I purchased it and have never had to re-do the settings. So just to clarify should gun shots,cars crashing etc be coming from all three front speakers (L,R,C) during action scenes when the action is on screen ?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for your reply.
I have always had the CC 5db over so I can hear conversations clearly. It was set up manually both times. My only verification is by turning the front L&R speakers off to one side and listening to them during action scenes and that’s when I clarified that really only music and ambience sound was coming from them, no gun shots or armour shattering or foot steps, it’s all coming from the CC now. Before the child got into it, during action scenes it was awesome and loud and only conversations came from the CC, but now it sounds weak and doesn’t give that cinematic feeling during action scenes. Sadly I don’t know if the settings are the same because I set it up in 2015 when I purchased it and have never had to re-do the settings. So just to clarify should gun shots,cars crashing etc be coming from all three front speakers (L,R,C) during action scenes when the action is on screen ?
Well ime, yes. Especially with well done soundtracks, you should hear guns and cars and birds and helicopters and all that stuff from all speakers, as long as the track is mixed that way. Many soundtracks however are dialogue centric and not much happens in the other channels aside from music and ambiance. I looked at the front of the 523 to see if anything stood out that your little helper might have found. But it looks a lot like the 1019 I use in my bedroom, and I can’t think of anything off hand that would do as described. Possibly direct, but that basically passes the track with no EQ from mcacc so sound placement should be the same. The other thing, is possibly you had it set to all channel stereo or something like that that pretty much uses all speakers all the time.(duplicates L/R into the surrounds but also uses the CC). This might create an unfair expectation. What are some tracks that your used to? Lone survivor, and Hacksaw Ridge are a couple that have stuff all over the place. Harry Potter and marvel films are usually well done too.

S

Satans Watching

Audiophyte
Well ime, yes. Especially with well done soundtracks, you should hear guns and cars and birds and helicopters and all that stuff from all speakers, as long as the track is mixed that way. Many soundtracks however are dialogue centric and not much happens in the other channels aside from music and ambiance. I looked at the front of the 523 to see if anything stood out that your little helper might have found. But it looks a lot like the 1019 I use in my bedroom, and I can’t think of anything off hand that would do as described. Possibly direct, but that basically passes the track with no EQ from mcacc so sound placement should be the same. The other thing, is possibly you had it set to all channel stereo or something like that that pretty much uses all speakers all the time.(duplicates L/R into the surrounds but also uses the CC). This might create an unfair expectation. What are some tracks that your used to? Lone survivor, and Hacksaw Ridge are a couple that have stuff all over the place. Harry Potter and marvel films are usually well done too.
Hmmmmm I wonder what on earth is going on. As fair as I am aware I didn’t have it set to all channel stereo as only dialogue came from the CC and the rear speakers were usually only dogs barking or wind blowing occasionally etc, however during action scenes most sound came from all three front speakers but now only comes from the CC. I tend to watch war themed movies Ie Saving Private Ryan, Vikings, Fury and then things like all the Batman movies and transformers. I will try to find some of those movies and try them out, I am reluctant to watch Harry Potter as I read all the books 20 years ago lol. Again thanks for taking the time to try and help me out It’s much appreciated.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’d turn center down and raise all other speakers, Turn total volume up until center is audible enough. Larger speakers could fix it but you have pretty decent sized satellite speaker center .

S

Satans Watching

Audiophyte
I’d turn center down and raise all other speakers, Turn total volume up until center is audible enough. Larger speakers could fix it but you have pretty decent sized satellite speaker center .
Thank you, I will give this a try on my next day off and see how I go. Again thank you for your reply.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hmmmmm I wonder what on earth is going on. As fair as I am aware I didn’t have it set to all channel stereo as only dialogue came from the CC and the rear speakers were usually only dogs barking or wind blowing occasionally etc, however during action scenes most sound came from all three front speakers but now only comes from the CC. I tend to watch war themed movies Ie Saving Private Ryan, Vikings, Fury and then things like all the Batman movies and transformers. I will try to find some of those movies and try them out, I am reluctant to watch Harry Potter as I read all the books 20 years ago lol. Again thanks for taking the time to try and help me out It’s much appreciated.
It’s really hard to say for sure. Especially when the last time you noted the settings was years ago. I was only guessing all channel stereo as that would be very obviously different. Maybe you should just go and push all the buttons! Lol. Just kidding obviously...
FWIW, I would not lower the CC AND raise the others at the same time. Only do one or the other so you know what’s actually affective, then do the next thing.
We definitely watch the same material and most of the ones you listed are pretty active all around. I was really disappointed when the last season of Vikings was only available as a stream. I still don’t know if I are killed bjorn, or if it was a dream!!!

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Myself, I would raise the Center +1.5db, after you used the auto speaker calibration. Maybe depends on ones hearing, but raising it to +5db, might through things off and all you get is the center action, for example.

S

Satans Watching

Audiophyte
Thank you for your advice, I tried what you suggested but I couldn’t hear what people were saying during action scenes very well. Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

S

Satans Watching

Audiophyte
It’s really hard to say for sure. Especially when the last time you noted the settings was years ago. I was only guessing all channel stereo as that would be very obviously different. Maybe you should just go and push all the buttons! Lol. Just kidding obviously...
FWIW, I would not lower the CC AND raise the others at the same time. Only do one or the other so you know what’s actually affective, then do the next thing.
We definitely watch the same material and most of the ones you listed are pretty active all around. I was really disappointed when the last season of Vikings was only available as a stream. I still don’t know if I are killed bjorn, or if it was a dream!!!
Hahahah maybe I should let the child “fix it” you reckon :) Yeah I tried the what he said before your response but it didn’t work, I couldn’t hear conversations during action. I will try what you said over the next few days and see if I have any luck.

Right !!! I bloody love Björn ! I actually tried to name our son after him but sadly after much heated debate my wife won ! I still call him Björn when she not around though lol.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think anyone has mentioned surround modes. If you were using the Neo:6 Cinema setting and your son changed it to Dolby PLII or Pro Logic, that could potentially change the sound a lot, especially for dialogue and effects channels.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Audio for movies, have you set it to Dolby or Dolby Surround, for example. There should be several other audio settings pertaining to sound adjustments having to do with loudness or softer.

S

Satans Watching

Audiophyte
Thank
I don't think anyone has mentioned surround modes. If you were using the Neo:6 Cinema setting and your son changed it to Dolby PLII or Pro Logic, that could potentially change the sound a lot, especially for dialogue and effects channels.
s f
Audio for movies, have you set it to Dolby or Dolby Surround, for example. There should be several other audio settings pertaining to sound adjustments having to do with loudness or softer.
Thanks for your reply mate but unfortunately I don’t thinks that’s the problem as the Xbox one automatically changes it to Dolby or DTS once the Xbox turns on, however I was reading about Neo:6 mode in the manual a few nights ago so I am still going to try mucking around with it as you never know.

S

Satans Watching

Audiophyte
Thank

s f

Thanks for your reply mate but unfortunately I don’t thinks that’s the problem as the Xbox one automatically changes it to Dolby or DTS once the Xbox turns on, however I was reading about Neo:6 mode in the manual a few nights ago so I am still going to try mucking around with it as you never know.

S

Satans Watching

Audiophyte
Sorry mate I think I replied to the wrong post a minute ago. Yes I haven’t played with those settings yet as I’m worried I will make things worse but at this stage that won’t matter too much so I will give it a crack on the weekend. Cheers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis