Do Atmos speakers need to match main channels?

B

bomt697

Junior Audioholic
Hello, I am having a hard time picking out a ceiling speaker that is going to be used 90% as movie Atmos speakers.
I have Def Tech 9060 for the fronts and center, do I need to go with Def tech ceiling speakers?
Does timbre match matter for Atmos effects?

If I dont need to go with Def Tech, what speakers should I be looking at?
Looking for a 6.5" speaker with 100-200 watts, 4 speakers, budget is $800-1000 total (less would be way better)

Please advise, thanks !!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Nope, any speaker will do and I wouldn't go too expensive with it either. Nothing crazy.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

B

bomt697

Junior Audioholic
Nope, any speaker will do and I wouldn't go too expensive with it either. Nothing crazy.

Never bought Atmos speakers before, whats a good price range to be in to get the most bang for buck?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Never bought Atmos speakers before, whats a good price range to be in to get the most bang for buck?
Something like this, it's not a demanding channel.

"SVS Prime Elevation | World’s Most Versatile Home Theater Speaker" https://www.svsound.com/collections/prime-elevation?wiz_medium=cpc&wiz_source=google&wiz_campaign=760424595&gclid=CjwKCAjwmv-DBhAMEiwA7xYrd2MWgjqHVJNF97Fca367Z91NFK4Ko74ASTcdN_lBrp2HCrgFR5YvnRoClz8QAvD_BwE

B

bomt697

Junior Audioholic
Something like this, it's not a demanding channel.

"SVS Prime Elevation | World’s Most Versatile Home Theater Speaker" https://www.svsound.com/collections/prime-elevation?wiz_medium=cpc&wiz_source=google&wiz_campaign=760424595&gclid=CjwKCAjwmv-DBhAMEiwA7xYrd2MWgjqHVJNF97Fca367Z91NFK4Ko74ASTcdN_lBrp2HCrgFR5YvnRoClz8QAvD_BwE

I was thinking more along the lines for in-ceiling speakers, but how would these stack up to something direct (or close to) over head?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Both speakers that hetfield recommended will work great. I have the RSL c34e’s mixed with JBL studio II series and they work great together. I personally like to match things as much as I can, but Either of these would work great. There are obviously cheaper options that will be good too. But there’s no reason not to use quality speakers at all locations.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello, I am having a hard time picking out a ceiling speaker that is going to be used 90% as movie Atmos speakers.
I have Def Tech 9060 for the fronts and center, do I need to go with Def tech ceiling speakers?
Does timbre match matter for Atmos effects?

If I dont need to go with Def Tech, what speakers should I be looking at?
Looking for a 6.5" speaker with 100-200 watts, 4 speakers, budget is $800-1000 total (less would be way better)

Please advise, thanks !!
You don't need an Atmos speaker that takes 100 to 200 watts, and a 6.5" speaker does not exist that takes that much power.

I used these 6.5" speakers

They are very neutral and have never once drawn attention to themselves.

They are available from Madisound.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis