Looking for an upgrade from Ascend Sierra 1s

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I've had my Ascend Sierra 1s for a while now and they've suffered some mishaps over the years due to cats and a recent moving incident. They still work, but I've had it in my mind for a while that I might want to upgrade eventually, not necessarily out of good sense and financial intelligence, especially now that we're settling in to our forever home.

My first instinct is to just go for a pair of the Sierra 2EXs as I have loved both the build, look, and sound of the Sierra 1s. Admittedly I'm well out of the loop on speakers these days and sometime I want to upgrade the home theater too, but that's another can of worms.

I more or less plan to stick with a pair of bookshelf speakers but might consider towers as well. I've looked at RBH and others, and am not super keen on going with mass market brands unless there's something that stands out. My budget is around the $2000 mark for the pair and the room is fairly big (15x20), although I'm not concerned about actually filling the whole room with sound on the regular as I'll have a listening position set up about 8 feet away.

Any recommendations for a fairly neutral/linear pair of speakers? It will be paired with a 12" sealed SVS sub for the time being.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you like your Sierra 1s the Sierra 2 and 2EX are both nice upgrades.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Dang it @Pogre - I was just saying that! If you really like the sound of the Sierra 1s (as I did mine) moving up to the 2s is just better everything Go for the 2!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dang it @Pogre - I was just saying that! If you really like the sound of the Sierra 1s (as I did mine) moving up to the 2s is just better everything Go for the 2!
I love my Sierra 2s and Sierra ribbon towers. They're excellent speakers, but $1700 (+shipping) for the BMR makes it very competitive plus it's a 3 way design vs 2 way.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Some others to consider in that price range: Paradigm Premier 800F, Arendal 1723 Monitor, JBL HDI-1600, Polk Audio L200, Revel Performa3 M106, KEF R3.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
If the cats/move have not damaged the cabinets then the S2 Upgrade kit is a player.
Just over $800 for a pair of kits to get new RAAL tweeters, new x-overs, and new woofers.

The most cost effective solution as long as you can operate a screw driver (LOL).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If the cats/move have not damaged the cabinets then the S2 Upgrade kit is a player.
Just over $800 for a pair of kits to get new RAAL tweeters, new x-overs, and new woofers.

The most cost effective solution as long as you can operate a screw driver (LOL).

I forgot all about the upgrade kits! For that matter the 2EX upgrade kit is a more affordable option than going with new speakers as well!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As owner of some Sierra1s (and used both with stock and NrT tweeters), I do like the thought of trying the Philharmonic BMRs, but the Sierra 2 kit upgrade does sound very tempting and save some $....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As owner of some Sierra1s (and used both with stock and NrT tweeters), I do like the thought of trying the Philharmonic BMRs, but the Sierra 2 kit upgrade does sound very tempting and save some $....
It really is. Wish we lived close by, I'd bring mine over or vice versa and we could do a little comparo. I haven't heard the NrT version so I'm not much help.

I'm so putting myself in your shoes and man, that's a tough call! Some new BMRs or spend a lot less to upgrade an existing great sounding speaker. Poop. Is just doing both an option..? :p

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I could be wrong but I remember most people using external amps to power the BMR speakers. Just another consideration if you don’t already own an amp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I could be wrong but I remember most people using external amps to power the BMR speakers. Just another consideration if you don’t already own an amp.
You're probably right that a lot of folks are using separate amps, but I don't think one is necessary for the BMRs. They're rated 4 ohms, but have decent sensitivity and if I recall very mild phase angles. They shouldn't present much issue for a good midrange avr.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You're probably right that a lot of folks are using separate amps, but I don't think one is necessary for the BMRs. They're rated 4 ohms, but have decent sensitivity and if I recall very mild phase angles. They shouldn't present much issue for a good midrange avr.
They are not much of an issue for a decent AVR, however their sensitivity is necessarily on the lower side. It's good for what it is, a stand-mount speaker tuned to around 30Hz that isn't huge, but that does mean it will not be extraordinarily sensitive.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
I forgot all about the upgrade kits! For that matter the 2EX upgrade kit is a more affordable option than going with new speakers as well!
To clarify, the 2EX upgrade kit is from a S2 speaker start (not a S1).
For a pair, this would add $740 to the S2 upgrade $800 cost. $1540 total.
A pair of new 2EX would be more sensible.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Thanks for all the suggestions, the Philharmonic BHR is intriguing. I believe I've caught wind of it before but never read in to it. That and the Sierra 2EX are leading the pack for me right now.

Also, sadly the cabinet was the casualty on my Sierra 1s. They're tanks, but if I'm going to upgrade I think I'll just go all in :)

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Thanks for all the suggestions, the Philharmonic BHR is intriguing. I believe I've caught wind of it before but never read in to it. That and the Sierra 2EX are leading the pack for me right now.

Also, sadly the cabinet was the casualty on my Sierra 1s. They're tanks, but if I'm going to upgrade I think I'll just go all in :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis