On the hunt for the next speaker...

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I have SVS ultra Towers and Monitor Audio Silver 300.
The SVS are strong in the miss to lows but don’t have as much detail as I wanted.
The Monitor Audio Silver have fantastic detail but don’t have a resounding mid or lows. The highs, female voices and upper Instruments sound amazing. An acoustic guitar sounds very nice but you can’t hear for feel the vibrations from the strings. Harmonics maybe, i do t know what to call it. It’s like the mid drivers have no excursion to them. They play beautiful sounds, but they don’t move, and don’t have fullness or pressure to them. I tried adding subs. After some great help I got them adjusted the best I can, but they cannot makeup for the mids and overall full sound.
So I’m looking for something between the two. I want those beautiful singing notes of the highs still that I got from the MAs but I need everything below the tweeter to have resonance and fullness of a live accoutic guitar.
Any suggestions at what I’m looking for? Speaker suggestions?

(I’m sending the subs back, after trying the SVS again, I found they have plenty of bass. I’d like to find a speaker I can use full range without a sub for music if I can. If not I still was not happy with the sounds of these particular subs. The SVS had cleaner bass than these subs)

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What subs are you using? I wouldn’t get rid of towers over bass maybe placement issue ? Pics , could use both sets in all ch stereo .
Tekdon , are good for full range but you may want a rythmic sub or something like psa better for music .
Those monitors are smaller ones 500 are bigger, svs subs are for low low end not best for music .
Or a pro sub for more midbass.

Last edited:
D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I have done a done of work with placement. Rythmik f12. They just don’t sound the same as the MA speakers or the SVS. But the SVS doesn’t even need them. When I adjust the bass in with the SVS, I work with it until it sounds full and even, but every time I get done, I realize Iv adjusted the Subs out all together.
when I switch back to Mains only. It sounds the same. If I try to force the subs to replace the SVS’s own bass sounds by replacing the already present bass with the sub’s bass sounds by crossover, then it just sounds muddier than the speakers own bass, which already sounded fine.
The MA speakers just have a different tone and since the MAs don’t seem to have much mid I end up with resonant lows and the rest the music up the scale sounds unimpressive till you get to the vocals or Violins and such.
I don’t think the subs are going to fix anything that high up in the mids.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Oh and both sets do fill some of the sounds out. But overall other parts blur and some parts disappear with both sets running. It just not completely cohesive doing that way it seems.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have SVS ultra Towers and Monitor Audio Silver 300.
The SVS are strong in the miss to lows but don’t have as much detail as I wanted.
The Monitor Audio Silver have fantastic detail but don’t have a resounding mid or lows. The highs, female voices and upper Instruments sound amazing. An acoustic guitar sounds very nice but you can’t hear for feel the vibrations from the strings. Harmonics maybe, i do t know what to call it. It’s like the mid drivers have no excursion to them. They play beautiful sounds, but they don’t move, and don’t have fullness or pressure to them. I tried adding subs. After some great help I got them adjusted the best I can, but they cannot makeup for the mids and overall full sound.
So I’m looking for something between the two. I want those beautiful singing notes of the highs still that I got from the MAs but I need everything below the tweeter to have resonance and fullness of a live accoutic guitar.
Any suggestions at what I’m looking for? Speaker suggestions?

(I’m sending the subs back, after trying the SVS again, I found they have plenty of bass. I’d like to find a speaker I can use full range without a sub for music if I can. If not I still was not happy with the sounds of these particular subs. The SVS had cleaner bass than these subs)
Speaker placement and room interaction with respect to the listener position effects how speakers sound from about 400 Hz and up. There isnt enough information in your post to help you. What amplification are you using? How did you connect the subs? What does the room layout look like? We need more detail.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If I were you, I would try to EQ the SVS speakers to taste. Use a tone control and bring the SVS speakers up by 2 or 3 dB above 3kHz. Buying new speakers is an awfully inefficient way to equalize a system, which is what you are really trying to do here.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I could get a DSP. I’ve been trying that with the limited options of this AVR.
but let me ask this. Is there a difference in sound from speaker that can make the same tone as another but one can “move air”. Do some sound good and some sound good but you can also feel the sound?
is this a real idea? Because the MAs make great sound but I can feel the sound it seems like from the SVS from notes that I would not call subs notes. This is what makes me feel like the SVS have fuller mids? I can turn the sub up to 120 crossover using the MAs but I can only feels the upper sounds from the SVS. Makes me think it’s a speaker problem I need to correct and not a sub range issue ?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not satisfied that you've really done all you can to eq what you have now. Both the MA Silver and Ultra towers are pretty damned good speakers. It seems like every time I got you pointed in a certain direction you came back with something totally different. I suspect you're going to keep having these issues. I think your room, placement and crossover/full band settings have way more to do with it than the speakers.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
Maybe right. When the bass was off I didn’t notice anything else maybe. I cannot seem to get the top to bottom tone right. I get in my car to go to the store. Listen to some music and suddenly from my sealed listening area I hear things I cannot hear in the house and I’m like... wait I’m missing part of the music, I need to find out what happened in the house. I know this has a lot to do with the room acoustics. But I suddenly need to find that sound inside the house.

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
When going from the car to the house. The house tones suddenly feel sharp and without resonance. Detailed maybe I cannot feel emotion in the music.
I kinda feel like this is what people mean when they say warm sounding maybe.(in the car)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you have a sub in your car?

You have to realize, your car cabin is a whole lot different than any typical room. It's much smaller and more intimate. Different speakers, different distances, different settings...

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
No subs in the car. Simple stock radio of a Chevy 2014 equinox

D

Dreamweaverx5000

Audioholic
I know it’s different. But my goals the getting the room to sound “more”. The instrument separation is amazing.
Also the best listening position in my house is 6 feet above the floor about 6 feet in front of the front wall. (9ft ceiling). Maybe I can hang a hammock lol

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Blow doors off the room haha are you using too much corner loading?? Those are pretty great towers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Blow doors off the room haha are you using too much corner loading?? Those are pretty great towers

Um, this is a speaker thread. Why are you posting subwoofers?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Um, this is a speaker thread. Why are you posting subwoofers?
Wasn’t sure if that would solve bass issues .
Not many speakers are full rangers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis