Text Scam, Pretending To Be USPS

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've seen similar before. I wonder how many people actually click on the link? It might just take you to a form your s'posed to fill out with all your sensitive info to "get your parcel". Is there a way to check where it goes without endangering or opening myself up to an attack?

I'm sure it's likely a bot, but my phone says it's a mobile number so I couldn't resist replying with something smartass. I'm going to imagine someone on the other end read it and lol'd...

Screenshot_2021-04-17-12-00-13-1_copy_769x799.png

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
don't click that link!!.. that's an attempt to get permission to use your email acct . to scam others and leave you holding the bag...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess my email software saves me from most of that sort of thing....more likely to get a stupid voice mail asking me to be stupid.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've seen similar before. I wonder how many people actually click on the link? It might just take you to a form your s'posed to fill out with all your sensitive info to "get your parcel". Is there a way to check where it goes without endangering or opening myself up to an attack?

I'm sure it's likely a bot, but my phone says it's a mobile number so I couldn't resist replying with something smartass. I'm going to imagine someone on the other end read it and lol'd...

View attachment 46770
LMAO!!!!! Hopefully not my bullshitt detector.....
I hope someone did actually read it and realize they’re stoopid fukkin a$$ holes who should be punched in the dikk. Fukk I hate people sometimes.....

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I mean, I suppose if you really wanted to you could copy the link and then paste it into a web browser to see the real address. I usually just tell them to f off, I'm not falling for their BS and then block the number.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I mean, I suppose if you really wanted to you could copy the link and then paste it into a web browser to see the real address. I usually just tell them to f off, I'm not falling for their BS and then block the number.
I would love to see some actual law enforcement effort to eradicate scammers.. But people losing billions per year to scammers doesn't rate on media outlets..when's the last time anybody aired a segment on a news network about the fact it's the biggest criminal enterprise is history as a whole?? That i think is the sad part.. If it isn't on the news it doesn't rate very high with law enforcement...

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I would never click the link on a mobile. Not enough security features to protect you. Might be ok using something like Brave browser or another with Private mode run through a VPN to mask you IP address, but that's getting above the average user's level. The problem when you reply to any spam whether text or email is that you have then verified that they used a valid phone number or email and then that info gets sold to other spammers. Do not reply! Blocking phone numbers and email addresses is useless. Those things are usually "spoofed", ie. they are fake and randomized. Spammers sending text to mobile via internet can use any random phone # they like.

If really curious, a non-Microsoft computer browser run in Private mode would be safer but the only real safe way to check a suspicous web site is to have a virtual computer setup on your system which acts like a "sand box" and totally isolates you from your main system.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would never click the link on a mobile. Not enough security features to protect you. Might be ok using something like Brave browser or another with Private mode run through a VPN to mask you IP address, but that's getting above the average user's level. The problem when you reply to any spam whether text or email is that you have then verified that they used a valid phone number or email and then that info gets sold to other spammers. Do not reply! Blocking phone numbers and email addresses is useless. Those things are usually "spoofed", ie. they are fake and randomized. Spammers sending text to mobile via internet can use any random phone # they like.

If really curious, a non-Microsoft computer browser run in Private mode would be safer but the only real safe way to check a suspicous web site is to have a virtual computer setup on your system which acts like a "sand box" and totally isolates you from your main system.
Nah, I'm not curious enough to risk it, tho I do use Brave, a VPN and understand private mode. Good point and info about replying at all. I mighta made a mistake there. I no clicky the linky tho!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I would love to see some actual law enforcement effort to eradicate scammers.. But people losing billions per year to scammers doesn't rate on media outlets..when's the last time anybody aired a segment on a news network about the fact it's the biggest criminal enterprise is history as a whole?? That i think is the sad part.. If it isn't on the news it doesn't rate very high with law enforcement...
The Canadian RCMP actually worked with Indian authorities a couple years ago to raid some Indian call centres but it's a very complicated business. Part of the problem is the way the internet was designed. When you can fake the email address you send from, or fake the phone number you are calling from, how do you trace it back to an individual? Funds for things like encryption scams, where the encrypt your entire hard drive, get transferred to an anonymous bit coin account. Some attacks are done via someone else's computer that is part of bot net being controlled remotely from who knows where. The sophisticated scammers have become very good at covering up their tracks.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

I've taken to blocking entire number series lately, since most of the spam calls I get originate from similar numbers. I will still get the occasional voicemail, but it's much less frequent that my phone rings for BS reasons any more. Unfortunately at work we can't block those numbers, so I'll have fun with them like telling them I'm really glad they called about giving me an extended warranty on my 1996 Dodge Caravan. When they say they can't offer me one because it's too old I say but it's only got 40k miles on it.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
100% scam...Just the "schedule within 48 hours or it can't be delivered" is the only tip off you need.. That is 100% in direct opposition to the usps mission statement...
Not to mention the blatant misspelled 'POLAND, ORAGON" lol

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've taken to blocking entire number series lately, since most of the spam calls I get originate from similar numbers. I will still get the occasional voicemail, but it's much less frequent that my phone rings for BS reasons any more. Unfortunately at work we can't block those numbers, so I'll have fun with them like telling them I'm really glad they called about giving me an extended warranty on my 1996 Dodge Caravan. When they say they can't offer me one because it's too old I say but it's only got 40k miles on it.
I love the guy on Youtube that gets fake computer support calls and then turns around and hacks the scammers computer. He has left some in tears after wiping their system clean. The glitter bomb dude surprising porch pirates is classic too.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
The Canadian RCMP actually worked with Indian authorities a couple years ago to raid some Indian call centres but it's a very complicated business. Part of the problem is the way the internet was designed. When you can fake the email address you send from, or fake the phone number you are calling from, how do you trace it back to an individual? Funds for things like encryption scams, where the encrypt your entire hard drive, get transferred to an anonymous bit coin account. Some attacks are done via someone else's computer that is part of bot net being controlled remotely from who knows where. The sophisticated scammers have become very good at covering up their tracks.
I saw a special on the Canada/ India scam... I would think that safety measures could be implemented to trace scammers.. I sincerely believe that the reason it hasn't been implemented or explored further is monetary.. No profit margin , it would cost a lot to implement and there is no way to profit .. Especially with fake security like Norton lifelock that do basically nothing and roll in the money..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love the guy on Youtube that gets fake computer support calls and then turns around and hacks the scammers computer. He has left some in tears after wiping their system clean. The glitter bomb dude surprising porch pirates is classic too.
I've watched a few of those! There are a couple of guys who do that. Some of the longer calls really get dragged out, but that's part of the shtick. You're wasting their time while hacking into their pcs. Some of those guys get so pissed off, and the other ones beg and plead. It's very cathartic, lol.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It's an international standard, so governments need to get involved. It would require an Internet V2 where everything is traceable but at the cost of loosing anonymity. You would also need to shut down or block all of the dark web servers. The financial incentive is the billions lost to criminals. What government, though, would be willing to give up anonimity on the web? Every country has their own hackers trying to hack foreign governments and the tech to foil scammers would also expose hacking groups, both criminal and domestic. China reaps billions in stolen tech, so as long as they maintain control domestically I bet their happy to let their hacker armies run rampant around the world.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
It's an international standard, so governments need to get involved. It would require an Internet V2 where everything is traceable but at the cost of loosing anonymity. You would also need to shut down or block all of the dark web servers. The financial incentive is the billions lost to criminals. What government, though, would be willing to give up anonimity on the web? Every country has their own hackers trying to hack foreign governments and the tech to foil scammers would also expose hacking groups, both criminal and domestic. China reaps billions in stolen tech, so as long as they maintain control domestically I bet their happy to let their hacker armies run rampant around the world.
the industry is highly privatized though.. That's blatantly obvious.. Govts mostly don't worry about non violent crime unless it garners votes.. But talk about a unifying issue , everyone knows this is rampant, nobody likes getting swindled, and most of the scammers are of color... Even the numnuts wingers could support this just on the minority slant alone( keep them furiners from stealing hard earned murican money!!!).. It's gotta happen at some point, the internet can't stay " wild west" indefinitely... Intrnet use isn't a protected right.. The idea of micro security( individual ) as it applies to anonimity seems moot..Edit: rights of anonymity sure don't seem to apply when sony is worried about pirate streams...the US seems to be in the very small minority that don't support tracing user end Copyright infringement issues.. Like i said it kinda boils down to profits....

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis