33" Subwoofer Drivers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I skipped over a chunk of the beginning of this video (to about 5 min in), went straight to the end of unboxing and watched it through testing. Good lord, those drivers are insane. AND IT'S FOR CAR AUDIO!!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

I skipped over a chunk of the beginning of this video (to about 5 min in), went straight to the end of unboxing and watched it through testing. Good lord, those drivers are insane. AND IT'S FOR CAR AUDIO!!
The bass was really impressive on my little desktop Bose speakers! (sarcasm alert)

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The bass was really impressive on my little desktop Bose speakers! (sarcasm alert)
I'm pretty sure the key is the Synergistic Research speaker cables I'm using. The holographic realism and timbrel accuracy is really quite amazing. The deeper black noise floor, the expansion of the sound stage in all directions, the holographic pinpoint imaging, and rich full bodied textures are amazing, but there is something that is just fundamentally different. I'm not sure if it's the quantum tunneling or the fact that my wallet is $30K lighter?

K

kini

Full Audioholic

Can those also be used for home audio?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Can those also be used for home audio?
Oh I'm sure they can. The guy making the video does car installs tho, so I'm pretty sure his inentions are to stuff one of those into somebody's car for competition or something. I imagine they'd have to use the entire trunk space for a box...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I think I saw a video of someone installing a 32" sub onto the roof of the car and going IB with it. You'd need a giant SUV to fit a box for that thing...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I saw a video of someone installing a 32" sub onto the roof of the car and going IB with it. You'd need a giant SUV to fit a box for that thing...
Did you see the motor structure and magnets on those things? The cones are so big it makes the motor look small, but they're huge!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Those subs were for a custom installation. Two drivers were required to even out the bass response.
1618250920608.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Suddenly the 18s and 21s I'm thinking about considering aren't that big. Thanks Pogre! :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Big drivers are nice and all, but usually pretty difficult to deal with. Also, what about linearity? A lot of driver shops can make a huge driver, but how accurate is it? You have to put in so much voice coil that inductance control becomes a major issue. The response could end up being very peakish, with lots of non-linear distortion in deep bass and upper bass.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Yeah I followed car audio for many years. I used to be an installer back in the day when I wanted everyone's attention. That said it is pretty impressive sitting in a car that flexes your soul.
Moving on, B2 does make some serious car audio, I've always wondered what makes car audio different from home audio though. I'd imagine you'd be able to use car audio speakers as long as the amp could handle the load, so what changes??? There are systems out there that are super clean in the car audio world, not everything is just how loud it can go.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I followed car audio for many years. I used to be an installer back in the day when I wanted everyone's attention. That said it is pretty impressive sitting in a car that flexes your soul.
Moving on, B2 does make some serious car audio, I've always wondered what makes car audio different from home audio though. I'd imagine you'd be able to use car audio speakers as long as the amp could handle the load, so what changes??? There are systems out there that are super clean in the car audio world, not everything is just how loud it can go.
Come to think of it, there are probably some different parameters for home and auto, like different qts or something being that most vehicles are much smaller "rooms". I think there are a few car sub drivers that wouldn't work as well in HT.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, cabin gain is MUCH different from a car to a room. That said though, I was much happier using an old IDMax 12" as a home sub than I was with a deftech "sub".

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Back in the 90's I built a isobaric box with 2-10" for my 1988 GMC Jimmy. I believe they were Pioneer subs, anywho as a test I hooked them up to a old home stereo receiver and it shook the room fairly well for what it was. Of course, in my Jimmy with many more watts of power it was much louder and harder. I'd almost want to experiment with box design and car audio for home audio purpose.. Almost... :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Would be crazy if he blew one testing it , someone is losing hearing !!! Must be a big car !!!! And box
What’s price 12k ea

Last edited:
edgewound

edgewound

Audioholic Intern
I can see military applications for literally blowing away the enemy...or demolition work. Otherwise...just because you can make something, doesn't mean you should. I have a single Electro-Voice 30W that's pretty useless to me other than a conversation piece.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can see military applications for literally blowing away the enemy...or demolition work. Otherwise...just because you can make something, doesn't mean you should. I have a single Electro-Voice 30W that's pretty useless to me other than a conversation piece.
The military has experimented with weaponizing sound, right? I could see it being effective to a point, but I'd think the power requirements would be pretty extreme.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis