Opinions appreciated for new $1500 system!

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
Still undecided what to replace my Bose 321 with . . . Sony Receiver vs Denon (prefer $500 max.) SVS 5.1 vs Klipsch 5.1 vs Polk 5.1 vs many others $1000 plus or minus max.) Prefer a system best for music, but good for home theater! New receiver must work both TV and projector in same room, but not at same time! Any and all advice will be appreciated!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it were me, I would just get a good two-channel system for the budget. Spreading that budget over a 5.1 system is exchanging an awful lot of quality for quantity. I would get either Sony or Denon, it doesn't make a huge difference at this price level, maybe preference for a Yamaha. Then I would get either a Hsu VTF-2 mk5, SVS PB-1000 Pro, or Monoprice Monolith 10" THX Select. For the speakers, I would get these Canton speakers from accessories4less.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know if accessories4less sells single speakers but buying one of Canton speakers @shadyJ recommended would get you a nice front stage for movies as well.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Still undecided what to replace my Bose 321 with . . . Sony Receiver vs Denon (prefer $500 max.) SVS 5.1 vs Klipsch 5.1 vs Polk 5.1 vs many others $1000 plus or minus max.) Prefer a system best for music, but good for home theater! New receiver must work both TV and projector in same room, but not at same time! Any and all advice will be appreciated!
Hi,

So $500 + $1000 all in for a 5.1?

For this budget, I think Chane and HTD are the way to go.

AVR (options):

Denon AVR-S750H $399
Yamaha RX-V485 $399

Front stage:

HTD Level Two (see below)
Chane A1.5's x 2 (left & right mains) $359/pair
Chane A2.4 x 1 (center) $259

Surrounds (options):

Chane A4.5's x 2 (surrounds) $309
Dayton B652 Air's x 2 (surrounds) $55/pair
Polk T15's x 2 (surrounds) $83/pair
Klipsch R-41M's x 2 (surrounds) $116/pair
Fluance Dipole SXBP2's x 2 (surrounds) $119/pair
Polk TSi100's x 3 (surrounds) $149/pair

Sub (options):

Monoprice 12" 150W $93
Dayton SUB-1000 10" 100W $124
Rockville Rock Shaker 10" $124
BIC F12 12" $210

So for $1500, you could have:

Denon AVRS750H
Chane A1.5 x 2 (L & R)
Chane A2.4 (Center)
Chance A4.5 (Surrounds)
BIC F12 (Sub)
$1500

Other options:

Ascend, CMT-340 SE Mini-Towers $568/pair
Ascend, CMT-340 SEC Center $298
Ascend, HTM-200 SE Surrounds $298/pair
$1200 +/- a bit for shipping, so all the budget, no sub

HTD Level Two (2x Bookshelves, 1x Center, 2x Surround, 1x Sub)
$1100
Couple with $400 AVR, puts you at $1500 all-in

HTD Level Three (above budget but if you buy slow, you can build this one up)

Very best,

Last edited:
L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
First of all, thanks to the three of you for all your input. I especially enjoyed all the great options presented by MalVeauX and your time involved. I guess I'm too much on aesthetics to dare mix and match cabinets, so the HTD and Ascend sets appeal to me although they are not as well known to me as others, but then that's just due to my inexperience. In your opinion, would either of these sound as good if not better than the Klipsch, Polk or SVS 5.1 sets? I need 2 HDMI outputs for my TV & projector, so neither of your receivers will do. The reasons I was strongly considering the Sony STR-DN1080 receiver was for the price, smaller cabinet, less heat given off then a Denon? and mostly the 2 HDMI outputs!

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Link the exact sets you're specifically looking at, if you want to compare them. There are lots of I.D. (internet direct) companies these days that have excellent options for good prices so there's tons of names out there that none of us know all of. Good marketing and in-store sales can make a brand better known of course, but that doesn't mean that they're good and usually not well priced for their actual quality. Polk has some good stuff and some rather low end stuff. Klipsch too has good stuff and run of the mill low end stuff. They'll get loud. But quality is the compromise. The SVS sets are over-priced in my opinion, but they're not bad, but they're not exceptional either. I think you can get more for your money from HTD, Chane and Ascend.

If you can spread out your spending that would be ideal. Get the ideal AVR now for your needs. Get the front stage speakers for this setup first and leave it there. Then, add the surrounds later. Add a quality sub, when you can. A quality sub would be something in the $500-ish range most likely. Lots of compromise under that price point. I realize this raises your budget. But spread it out, make it worth it, it hurts once, and sounds great the rest of the time.

Very best,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like starting out with stereo or 2.1 to start then add on as funds allow. I think you'll enjoy a nicer 2.1 setup over a cheaper 5.1 a lot more. Get the nicest front speakers and sub you can, then you can usually shop from a lower tier (Ultras up front and Prime for surrounds using SVS as an example) within the same company to match timbre and aesthetics for surrounds, and save you a few dollars too. Your front stage and sub(s) is where you want to focus starting out.

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
All very good and wise advice . . . thanks! We are needing new flooring at this time as well, so one or the other will win out and the other will have to wait for a while. Right now I'm dealing with the Bose 321 and its limited inputs/outputs. It has a nice sound for 1k, but often frustrating as its also 17 years old and just shuts down from time to time. Pretty nice that you can try out the HTD set for 45 days. Would love to hear their Level Two set. I had never heard of the HTD's and Chane nor Ultras, but the Ascends maybe? Thing is, I consider my Bose 321 to be a 2.1 system and after 17 years I think I would enjoy something a little different and more like a real cinema such as a 5.1 even if its just a $1500 set!

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
All very good and wise advice . . . thanks! We are needing new flooring at this time as well, so one or the other will win out and the other will have to wait for a while. Right now I'm dealing with the Bose 321 and its limited inputs/outputs. It has a nice sound for 1k, but often frustrating as its also 17 years old and just shuts down from time to time. Pretty nice that you can try out the HTD set for 45 days. Would love to hear their Level Two set. I had never heard of the HTD's and Chane nor Ultras, but the Ascends maybe? Thing is, I consider my Bose 321 to be a 2.1 system and after 17 years I think I would enjoy something a little different and more like a real cinema such as a 5.1 even if its just a $1500 set!
There's nothing cheap about the Ascends, HTD, Chanes, etc, above. They're not super expensive because they're small internet direct companies (I.D.) competing against big commercial groups. You benefit. Look up reviews on those speakers. Compare to common similar cost "big brands." And you're right, after 17+ years, enjoy some surround if you want. Time is what you lose every day that you cannot get back! Enjoy things!

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've got a variety of Ascend speakers and like them very much, good company to deal with. I'd also consider RSL, and they have both speakers and subs (and combo packages) with an excellent in-home trial period as well as being known for good customer service.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I own Ascend speakers and they're very good speakers. Great sound and performance to dollar ratio. Plus bamboo cabs are cool. :p

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There's nothing cheap about the Ascends, HTD, Chanes, etc, above. They're not super expensive because they're small internet direct companies (I.D.) competing against big commercial groups. You benefit. Look up reviews on those speakers. Compare to common similar cost "big brands." And you're right, after 17+ years, enjoy some surround if you want. Time is what you lose every day that you cannot get back! Enjoy things!

Very best,
I haven't seen any third-party verification of Chane or HTD speakers' performance. The third-party verification I have seen of Ascend has been a mixed bag but generally OK. I wish there was a way to make powered monitors an option here. For the same price, some Kali, Presonus, or JBL monitors will provide far better audio performance.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hi,

So $500 + $1000 all in for a 5.1?

For this budget, I think Chane and HTD are the way to go.

AVR (options):

Denon AVR-S750H $399
Yamaha RX-V485 $399

Front stage:

Chane A1.5's x 2 (left & right mains) $359/pair
Chane A2.4 x 1 (center) $259

Surrounds (options):

Chane A4.5's x 2 (surrounds) $309
Dayton B652 Air's x 2 (surrounds) $55/pair
Polk T15's x 2 (surrounds) $83/pair
Klipsch R-41M's x 2 (surrounds) $116/pair
Fluance Dipole SXBP2's x 2 (surrounds) $119/pair
Polk TSi100's x 3 (surrounds) $149/pair

Sub (options):

Monoprice 12" 150W $93
Dayton SUB-1000 10" 100W $124
Rockville Rock Shaker 10" $124
BIC F12 12" $210

So for $1500, you could have:

Denon AVRS750H
Chane A1.5 x 2 (L & R)
Chane A2.4 (Center)
Chance A4.5 (Surrounds)
BIC F12 (Sub)
$1500

Other options:

Ascend, CMT-340 SE Mini-Towers $568/pair
Ascend, CMT-340 SEC Center $298
Ascend, HTM-200 SE Surrounds $298/pair
$1200 +/- a bit for shipping, so all the budget, no sub

HTD Level Two (2x Bookshelves, 1x Center, 2x Surround, 1x Sub)
$1100
Couple with $400 AVR, puts you at $1500 all-in

HTD Level Three (above budget but if you buy slow, you can build this one up)

Very best,
You won’t beat that list , only infinity’s rare sales can go cheaper.
Svs is not better it cost more from advertisements and guarantees, free shipping .
Speed woofer and bic pl200 are two more subs .

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
Appreciate all the good advice although I did go with the SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 System from SVS and a $320 Sony AV Receiver from AMZ for many reasons,

1 I'm probably not as particular as most Audioholics here
2 The system was a complete 5.1 without having to mix or match speakers
3 The price was affordable for me
4 Many reviews seem to be very good on You Tube
5 SVS has outstanding customer service
6 I like their small compact size
7 You cannot beat their 45 day home trial and free return
8 This Sony STR-DH790 7.2 receiver seem to have lots of features for the price and small footprint

So, will the sound beat my 17 year old Bose 321 system? Guess I'll soon find out as the receiver came Friday and the SVS will come today! Thanks all! :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So, will the sound beat my 17 year old Bose 321 system? Guess I'll soon find out as the receiver came Friday and the SVS will come today! Thanks all! :)
I think so, yes. SVS does make good speakers as well as subs and their customer service is among the best you can find for this stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind is their trade up policy. I think you have up to a year to decide. Maybe a few months down the road you could look at trading up your main speakers and center for the Ultra books and center. They really are that much better (not that prime is bad, mind you, just a different class of speaker). That'd be my long term goal. Maybe start squirreling away a few dollars a week and save up for it.

Of course that all depends on how far you wanna go. You made it clear you're not looking for perfection and if the Prime sat system does it for you, there's nothing wrong with that either. Still a nice little step up from your Bose speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis