External Amp advice.

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
Have you done a direct comparison between the 2 amps with the same speakers in the same spot or are you saying your surround speakers don't sound as good as your mains?
Yes I've done all kinds of comparisons.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There is absolutely a communication breakdown but more than anything, I think your FX speaker is jumbling the scene and you aren't hearing what you expect to hear from it.
I'm sensing a reluctance to answer direct questions for some reasons. It's difficult to communicate when someone is being cagey with the details.
Yes the placebo effect right. Lol. Nah not at all. I've had some friends come over and all 3 of them heard the sound difference.
Are you saying you're immune to placebo? You're not. No one is. I don't trust my own judgement when doing comparisons like this unless it's a DBT situation with instant switching and level matching, etc, and wouldn't draw any conclusions otherwise.

I don't think you've done even close to a proper enough comparison to draw any conclusions either.

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
I'm not saying I'm immune to anything. I just said the I had other people come over and they heard a clear difference with out knowing wtf or seeing what I'm doing and yet they picked out exactly what I hear. Now I highly doubt that they all had a placebo effect when I told them nothing but to listen with out knowing or looking at what I'm doing.

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
I'm sensing a reluctance to answer direct questions for some reasons. It's difficult to communicate when someone is being cagey with the details.

Are you saying you're immune to placebo? You're not. No one is. I don't trust my own judgement when doing comparisons like this unless it's a DBT situation with instant switching and level matching, etc, and wouldn't draw any conclusions otherwise.

I don't think you've done even close to a proper enough comparison to draw any conclusions either.
I've done plenty of comparisons including different speakers. I was using polk rti full set of speakers before I bought the logans. Even that gave the same results

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
I've done plenty of comparisons including different speakers. I was using polk rti full set of speakers before I bought the logans. Even that gave the same results
Which questions exactly am I avoiding?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not saying I'm immune to anything. I just said the I had other people come over and they heard a clear difference with out knowing wtf or seeing what I'm doing and yet they picked out exactly what I hear. Now I highly doubt that they all had a placebo effect when I told them nothing but to listen with out knowing or looking at what I'm doing.
You managed to instantly switch between the 2 amps, made sure they were level matched with a SPL meter, didn't tell your friends what you were doing and did all that without them noticing..? You bought an instant switcher and SPL meter to do all that?

I find that hard to believe...

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
You managed to instantly switch between the 2 amps, made sure they were level matched with a SPL meter, didn't tell your friends what you were doing and did all that without them noticing..? You bought an instant switcher and SPL meter to do all that?

I find that hard to believe...
This wasn't instant. I've been screwing with it for weeks.

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
I don't understand what is so hard to grasp that since using the emotiva amp the surround sound now sucks. 2 channel great. Surround suck. Ugg. Unga fuking bunga bunga! This is what I'm trying to figure out and doesn't make sense as to why that would be. Good frigging God.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know from your descriptions. Did the wife hear the difference from the kitchen, too? :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I don't understand what is so hard to grasp that since using the emotiva amp the surround sound now sucks. 2 channel great. Surround suck. Ugg. Unga fuking bunga bunga! This is what I'm trying to figure out and doesn't make sense as to why that would be. Good frigging God.
There are many issues that can be at play, here, and without better information, we honestly cannot help.
1: YPAO is not correctly set up.
1B: YPAO measurements were not accurate.
2: Speakers are not properly assigned.
3: Surround speakers are FX Bi-Poles that can be messing with your expectations
4: room set up and physical speaker placement
5: ...I'm losing track myself.

Please understand, @Musicman61 , we get a lot of people that ask questions and dip or just do what they want after getting advice, etc. We offer to help because we are truly interested in helping elevate your experience.
That all three of us are telling you your descriptions aren't helping should be clear. :)
Rather than going all tribal-speak, or arguing about bias, we can still help if you want.

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
Well damn, let's think about that for a second. Surround sound now sucks since using external amp. But when using 2 channel.. that means stereo, Hmm.. it sounds great. Scratching my head here trying to figure out what that all means??? Actually I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out what f ing planet your from. Which part isn't clear enough for you?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I keep bringing this up.

Have you tried putting the 4s in place of the FX speakers and running your setup routine again? Doing so may reveal what I'm saying about the impact the bi=pole design has on SQ.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you using dedicated surround content (recorded in 5.1 or 7.1)? Or are you using an upmixer on your 2ch to get surround? Let's just start here since this is the place where things start to change....

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
There are many issues that can be at play, here, and without better information, we honestly cannot help.
1: YPAO is not correctly set up.
1B: YPAO measurements were not accurate.
2: Speakers are not properly assigned.
4: room set up and physical speaker placement
5: ...I'm losing track myself.

Please understand, @Musicman61 , we get a lot of people that ask questions and dip or just do what they want after getting advice, etc. We offer to help because we are truly interested in helping elevate your experience.
That all three of us are telling you your descriptions aren't helping should be clear. :)
Rather than going all tribal-speak, or arguing about bias, we can still help if you want.
Let me just just say this. I am with 100% certainty that everything is hooked up correctly as of now. I googled the cra p out of it and you tubed it as well and followed every possible step. So its not a connection issue. If no one knows the answer to why the sound would be doing this then simply say so. I am baffled by it and thought maybe/possibly some out there had a similar dilemma and would know whats up. Np all

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
Are you using dedicated surround content (recorded in 5.1 or 7.1)? Or are you using an upmixer on your 2ch to get surround? Let's just start here since this is the place where things start to change....
The upmixer with music. Dolby and neo 6

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
I'm confused by this as well. Normal setup is to connect the pre-amp out from the Yamaha to the Emotiva and run the main speakers from the Emotiva. So the question is, what do you have connected to the main speaker terminals on the Yamaha? It sounds like either the speaker connections on the Yamaha are incorrect or you have incorrect speaker settings on the Yamaha setup menu. You should refer to your owners manual and look specifically for the section that covers the use of an external amplifier and see what the settings and speaker connections should be. You don't mention a center channel speaker. Can we assume you have the matching center for the Motion 40s?
Yes I have a center channel. I have everything hooked up correctly. Have it like you said but the height and surrounds are directly connected to the yamaha

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Two channel music will sound center centric and, well, s#%ty when in surround mode without spreading center channel signal out to the fronts.

M

Musicman61

Junior Audioholic
Two channel music will sound center centric and, well, s#%ty when in surround mode without spreading center channel signal out to the fronts.
Yes I understand that. What I'm saying is everything in surround now sounds like crap since hooking up the emotiva amp. It sounded fine before that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis