Help with troubleshooting an issue with receiver

D

dcbell63

Audiophyte
Hello all. I have a Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. Yes, it's been around a while. That said, I'd prefer to troubleshoot an issue I'm having with it before junking it, because I've never had a problem with it. I don't know very much about this, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas for me.

I have it set up for surround sound. A few days ago, I noticed that one of the rear speakers wasn't working. I checked the connection and it seemed to be solid. I then ran a test on all the speakers, and noticed that one of the main speakers was spotty with it's output. It would work, and then as the test came back around to it, it was out. This time, I recut each speaker wire at the input to make sure I had clean connections. I ran the test again and other speakers were out. After several trials, I noticed that there was no consistency in what speaker wasn't working. One time it would be the right rear, another time the front left or right. Now, both main speakers seem to be out, but the rear speakers are fine.

So... I don't think it's an issue with the speakers. I think there's a short or something in the receiver that is causing the issue. Do you agree, and does anyone have any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot the problem. I can probably pick up a used receiver, for what I need, cheaper than getting it fixed, so I thought I'd see if I can fix it before looking around. Thanks!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look in the manual for a full microprocessor/factory reset. Maybe just start with a soft reset before going that route so you don't lose settings a full reset would entail (soft reset is simply unplugging the avr for a bit).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
To do a factory reset:

From the thread...

> Be sure your receiver is in Standby Mode.

1. With your receiver in the Standby mode, hold on STRAIGHT (EFFECT) on the front panel and press STANDBY/ON.
* The ADVANCED sETUP menu appears in the front panel display.

2. Rotate Program to move through the menu and select "PRESET".

3. Press STRAIGHT (EFFECT) to select the desired setting.
RESET = To reset your receiver to its factory presets.
CANCEL = To cancel without making any changes.

4. Press STANDBY/ON to confirm your selection.
* If you selected "RESET", your receiver is reset to its factory presets and switches to Standby mode.

D

dcbell63

Audiophyte
I appreciate the help, but the RX-V800 doesn't have a STRAIGHT (EFFECT) button. Other models I've seen on-line to have it. Mine only has an EFFECT button. I tried this procedure and it didn't work. I tried the soft reset, as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If resets don't help not much the consumer can do (unless you have the skills to use a service manual and appropriate gear to analyze the issue). It may just be time for a new one...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I appreciate the help, but the RX-V800 doesn't have a STRAIGHT (EFFECT) button. Other models I've seen on-line to have it. Mine only has an EFFECT button. I tried this procedure and it didn't work. I tried the soft reset, as well.
I would go and look through the thread I linked. They are specifically discussing your receiver in there. It really has to have some way to do a factory reset. But, if something is really wrong, then nothing will fix it.

D

dcbell63

Audiophyte
Thanks all. Replaced it with a used one. Works great.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis