My Experience with RBH's SV-831R

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats!
Those are great speakers!
I have a pair of the earlier T1/R's I like the general sound of it, but the soft dome Scanspeak tweeter just could not keep up with a good ribbon (or Be or Ceramic). Your model solves that!
Thank you so much I finally went to bed
I can't stop listening to them.
I fell in love with ribbons listening to golden ear speakers at Bjorn. I just wasn't crazy about the rest of the speaker

But these ribbons make those sound like a Bose soundbar

You take a deep breath when you make a commitment like this to this hobby with a purchase like this

I can let that breath out because I can tell you right now it was worth the commitment. Spent all afternoon dialing them in. I can't even put it into words I just got a natural high running through me right now KEW

By the way is there a company and a pair of speakers that you don't own or have owned? I swear every time I post on a new purchase you have owned a pair every time you jump into the thread! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Those are ribbon tweeters, right? I know what you mean. Those ribbons are next level. Glad to hear you love them so much! I've been looking at those really hard and they look amazing. Excellent build quality, beautiful finish, very powerful and super detailed.

Hmm... I could always sell my truck... :p
Man bro I'm buzzing right now finally stopped listening to them.

Ribbons are just my favorite tweeters when done right. And these are the best I've heard up to this point

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Man bro I'm buzzing right now finally stopped listening to them.

Ribbons are just my favorite tweeters when done right. And these are the best I've heard up to this point
You don't have ribbons, you have AMTs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You don't have ribbons, you have AMTs.
I'm the one who put that in his head shady. I was looking at their different speakers and the slots for the 831 AMTs more resemble true ribbon tweets than say, the SV-661R. It's easier to see the AMT on the 661 in comparison.

*PS, I did recently get to listen to the AMTs in the 661s. The guy I bought my sub from had them and I thought they sounded very, very good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
SV831R: Aurum Cantus AST25120 4.72" x 1" AMT (Air Motion Transducer) Aluminum Diaphragm Tweeter.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm the one who put that in his head shady. I was looking at their different speakers and the slots for the 831 AMTs more resemble true ribbon tweets than say, the SV-661R. It's easier to see the AMT on the 661 in comparison.

*PS, I did recently get to listen to the AMTs in the 661s. The guy I bought my sub from had them and I thought they sounded very, very good.
I'm not certain whether all their speakers use the same AMT, but it came up that the revised MiniPhil from Philharmonic, and now the SongTower II from Salk, were based on the same Aurum Cantus Driver as the RBH Signatures.

RBH-Scott

RBH-Scott

Audiophyte
Congrats on your new system Dan! It was awesome to work with to help you get your dream system!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the improved DETAIL SQ has mostly to do with the overall design. I think the driver types (AMT, Ribbons, Domes, Silk, Al, Mg, Titanium, Be, Diamond) may have a contribution. I used to own Salon2 (Be), 802D2 (Diamond), KEF Reference (Titanium), Phil3 (RAAL), Orion (Al/Mg).

But I also think the significant increased in the surface areas of the tweeters and mid-woofers/mid-range has a significant contribution.

Most speakers have approximately ~ 0.8 Square-Inch of surface area for the tweeter. The SV831R has approximately 6 times that much surface area.

Most speakers have approximately ~ 33 Square-Inch for the mid-range/mid-woofers. The SV831R has almost 5 times that much surface area.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
IMHO, The only thing that would take this HT to next level (12?, because you already at 11) besides Atmos etc is a MASSIVE AT screen and speakers behind the screen

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
IMHO, The only thing that would take this HT to next level (12?, because you already at 11) besides Atmos etc is a MASSIVE AT screen and speakers behind the screen
You are absolutely right! That's my goal for next year

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think the improved DETAIL SQ has mostly to do with the overall design. I think the driver types (AMT, Ribbons, Domes, Silk, Al, Mg, Titanium, Be, Diamond) may have a contribution. I used to own Salon2 (Be), 802D2 (Diamond), KEF Reference (Titanium), Phil3 (RAAL), Orion (Al/Mg).

But I also think the significant increased in the surface areas of the tweeters and mid-woofers/mid-range has a significant contribution.

Most speakers have approximately ~ 0.8 Square-Inch of surface area for the tweeter. The SV831R has approximately 6 times that much surface area.

Most speakers have approximately ~ 33 Square-Inch for the mid-range/mid-woofers. The SV831R has almost 5 times that much surface area.
Yeah I agree totally I like all the amazing improvements they've made but you and have talked about this a lot. We share similar tastes big speakers that can move a lot of air with great accurate frequency response. I just find no matter how good the technology gets there is just no replacement for displacement Lol :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nope.

He needs a few of these:
BMD Alphas (Devastators)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats on your new system Dan! It was awesome to work with to help you get your dream system!
Hey thank you guys so much!!!! It's just been an amazing experience. You guys are just as awesome as your products all the days emailing me back answering my texts being so patient and understanding as you helped me figure out what I want. It's been great getting to know all of you you guys make it fun every time I contact you.

I can see your passion and dedication not just in your speakers but how you treat your customers. And you now have another new loyal customer for life.

I'm glad I was able to showcase how good you guys are it's my goal to get the word out you guys deserve all the word of mouth and recognition you can get!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I agree totally I like all the amazing improvements they've made but you and have talked about this a lot. We share similar tastes big speakers that can move a lot of air with great accurate frequency response. I just find no matter how good the technology gets there is just no replacement for displacement Lol :D
Yeah... I'd say the 3 of us have similar tastes in big speakers. Helps when you have the room for it too. I could easily fit a pair of those up front. I might even have room for a second pair of 1212s stacked on top too!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah... I'd say the 3 of us have similar tastes in big speakers. Helps when you have the room for it too. I could easily fit a pair of those up front. I might even have room for a second pair of 1212s stacked on top too!
Do it bro save up like I've been doing. When it's a purchase your happy with for the rest of your life it's not that expensive when it's one and done!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Do it bro save up like I've been doing. When it's a purchase your happy with for the rest of your life it's not that expensive when it's one and done!
Gonna be a li'l while, lol. It's over 10k for a pair of those, right? Plus I'll need another 1212 so there's another 3.2k. Phew. That's a lot of money for the Pogre household. I'm pretty motivated tho, we'll see what the future holds. I'm really happy with my sub situation and Sierra ribbon towers too so I don't feel like I'm missing too much in good sound.

If I could find some more smoking deals and get what I want with funds generated by selling both sets of my Ascend Acoustics speakers I'd do it, but right now I don't think that'd get me even half way there

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis