Well I'd just call them fun rather than crazy....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Very cool find, lovin! There are some more experiments like the cornstarch non-newtonian shapes on a driver diaphragm. There are fun things that can be down with phase cancellation like running two subs next to each other using slightly different sine wave frequencies. You can use suspended ribbons or flames in the middle of a large port tube to see how the slug of air within the tube resonates- I imagine that would be very cool to see in a transparent tube. Another experiment that could be done is to show the resonant frequency of the human eyeball which is around 19Hz for most people. Subject yourself to a strong 19Hz signal and watch your vision blur! Of course, that can't really be shown through a youtube video.

For the video you posted, something interesting that they could have done is show the cracks forming in the wine glass at very slow speeds in ultra-high FPS. That would have been really cool. The slo-mo guys could have fun with that one. One interesting fact about that that I learned recently: if you remember that old Memorex commercial where they show Aretha Franklin singing and breaking a wine glass- was that real, not staged. The advertising agency's legal team advised them not to stage that since it might open them up to false advertising claims. Of course, that had a lot more to do with the SPL vs frequency than recording, and any cassette tape can do that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Slowmo guys did do some interesting glass cracking stuff, also some high speed spinning of vinyl comes to mind. I do remember that old commercial, there were other singers that would be "tested" that way on various shows back then....

I did look up what one of those vibration generators might cost....$300 or so at Walmart!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Slowmo guys did do some interesting glass cracking stuff, also some high speed spinning of vinyl comes to mind. I do remember that old commercial, there were other singers that would be "tested" that way on various shows back then....

I did look up what one of those vibration generators might cost....$300 or so at Walmart!ds
You can make a vibration generator easy enough. You can just use a subwoofer driver + amp with a tone generator. Glue a flat, stiff surface with a snug fit over the cone between the surround (but don't put much pressure on the surround- you don't want to change its compliance by much). Viola, a vibration generator. Alternatively, you could probably use one of those bass shaker things, although it might be more difficult to control movement.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Another experiment that could be done is to show the resonant frequency of the human eyeball which is around 19Hz for most people. Subject yourself to a strong 19Hz signal and watch your vision blur! Of course, that can't really be shown through a youtube video.
It's so weird when you experience this the first time. First time it happened I was in the front of our live sound room when I worked at Guitar Center many years ago. The amount of subs we had made it easy to experience, but when the world around you appears to literally vibrate, it's a cool/interesting sensation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis