My Experience with RBH's SV-831R

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My journey to this stage to this moment has been an evolution

Countless brands many different types of speakers

Until I discovered exactly what I liked

Big speakers with high sensitivity that move lots of air with heavy dynamics great accurate on and off axis response accurate midrange and a tweeter that has a lot of detail and clarity without distorting at higher volumes

I came close with Klipsch and JBL but knew I wanted more and it needed to be beautiful as my room wasn't going to be concealing or hiding speakers

I prefer floor standers to in walls and wanted no compromise on this

Some came close had parts of what I wanted but lacked in others

The JBL 590's coming the closest.

Until thanks to Gene and several articles on Audioholics and the help of members and owners such as @AcuDefTechGuy I discovered RBH

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It was a curiosity that may have stayed simply that until one day I scored a great deal on Craigslist for they're flagship sub the SV-1212PR

I got to hear what all the hype was about and for once the reality exceeded the hype and I knew after getting to know the company and all the amazing guys that worked they're this was going to be the company for me

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So I bought a second sub they're SV-1212NR as I wanted to move away from internal amps in my speakers all amps on the rack once again exceeding my expectations

When I needed a new surrounds that could keep up with the 590's I took a risk and went with the on wall SV-661W's

First surround that could match they're output and was simply outstanding in they're sound imaging dispersion and dynamics and they can go so clean no matter how hard they're pushed with zero distortion. And they only 5 inches deep on the wall such a low profile to do all that

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So after that I knew it was on. Each year I would slowly start replacing the system

This year was the front 3 with the SV 831R mini towers They're flagship speaker

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've been listening to them for hours and am going to fall asleep now super tired.

But I will post you guys my thoughts and impressions on how they sound and how they compare against other speakers I've owned

In the morning I will say this tho as a spoiler

These are my forever speakers they are not going anywhere

Thanks everyone who I've gotten to know on this site that's helped me get this far too many of you to name but know that you are appreciated greatly

See you in the morning fellas

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Cool. So you built those custom stands for the three SV-831R. :cool:

And the two SV1212R subs go in between the 3 SV831R?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Cool. So you built those custom stands for the three SV-831R. :cool:

And the two SV1212R subs go in between the 3 SV831R?
I bought some cheap blocks to see if I was going to like it. I tuned them and yeah I love the placement so down the road I'll probably build some custom stand that go with the room better. One sub is for the front where it measures best the second sub is in the left corner where that nook is behind the seating that's where it measures best
20200307_172722.jpg

The bass sounds perfect with those 2 slots dialed in.

I will eventually buy 2 more SV 1212 NR find the best spots in that room and that's where they will go

It's why I wanted the subs separated from the monitors I wanted no compromise between integration between the subs and the monitors and the rest of the speakers

Then I'll replace the SV 661W with the SV 661WR on walls and mount those 661W onto my ceiling for atmos!!!

That'll be epic!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay more feedback coming but I'm going back up to listen for a couple hours

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One of these days...

I got me a taste of 1212NR sub now too and it's exceeded my expectations. I'm not even running a high pass filter right now.

Danno, you using a high pass for your subs at all?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
One of these days...

I got me a taste of 1212NR sub now too and it's exceeded my expectations. I'm not even running a high pass filter right now.

Danno, you using a high pass for your subs at all?
I ran it without them for awhile and they never broke a sweat. BUT dialing one in will improve there total output. We may not be able to break those drivers but pushing them too far past the tune will hamper there total output.

I bought the RBH sub amp from my dealer. He got me a good deal It's only 500 watts RMS it was reviewed here it was an ok rating but it's DSP and options to dial it in including phase control high pass filters etc were invaluable to me. It sounds great as well

I have 2 Crown XTI 6000's that are awesome but the fans need to be modded if I keep them because putting them on those bad boys with DSP from a mini DSP would be epic but if I don't modd them I'll sell them and budget toward speaker power amps or modded Behringers there higher powered dsp models

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I ran it without them for awhile and they never broke a sweat. BUT dialing one in will improve there total output. We may not be able to break those drivers but pushing them too far past the tune will hamper there total output.

I bought the RBH sub amp from my dealer. He got me a good deal It's only 500 watts RMS it was reviewed here it was an ok rating but it's DSP and options to dial it in including phase control high pass filters etc were invaluable to me. It sounds great as well

I have 2 Crown XTI 6000's that are awesome but the fans need to be modded if I keep them because putting them on those bad boys with DSP from a mini DSP would be epic but if I don't modd them I'll sell them and budget toward speaker power amps or modded Behringers there higher powered dsp models
Right on. I have a 900 watt amp and so far so good. Having it nearfield means I'm not pumping a ton of power to it, but when I get back in action I'll look into setting a high pass and see if it helps performance at all, not that I'm noticing anything lacking right now.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I bought some cheap blocks to see if I was going to like it. I tuned them and yeah I love the placement so down the road I'll probably build some custom stand that go with the room better. One sub is for the front where it measures best the second sub is in the left corner where that nook is behind the seating that's where it measures best
View attachment 46314

The bass sounds perfect with those 2 slots dialed in.

I will eventually buy 2 more SV 1212 NR find the best spots in that room and that's where they will go

It's why I wanted the subs separated from the monitors I wanted no compromise between integration between the subs and the monitors and the rest of the speakers

Then I'll replace the SV 661W with the SV 661WR on walls and mount those 661W onto my ceiling for atmos!!!

That'll be epic!!!!
Very nicely done.

Now that is a home theater.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis