A

aschamne

Audioholic Intern
Hello, I am wanting to get a new speaker system for my PC.
I am thinking of going with a 2.1 system and I want to keep it under $150
These are the three systems that I am looking at
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Logitech Z623
Edifier M3600D
Since I cannot find anyplace to listen to any of them, I cannot say how they sound.
I can say that the Edifier and Klipsch both look nice with the Edifier looking the best and the Logitech just look horrendous.
So if it was your money, which system would you choose? Also if there is another system that you would recommend, I would be willing to consider that as well.

C

carewser

Enthusiast
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Logitech Z623
Edifier M3600D
Since I cannot find anyplace to listen to any of them, I cannot say how they sound.
I can say that the Edifier and Klipsch both look nice with the Edifier looking the best and the Logitech just look horrendous.
So if it was your money, which system would you choose? Also if there is another system that you would recommend, I would be willing to consider that as well.
I own both the Klipsch and the Logitech systems and they both sound great. I also own an Edifier system but not the M3600D (I have the S730) The Logitech is slightly louder but the Klipsch is a little more expensive (probably paying for the name). I've actually owned 2 Logitech Z623 systems, the first one died just before the warranty ran out (thankfully) and the replacement Z623 system I got makes crackling noises whenever i adjust the volume so in my experience the Z623 system is not reliable. While i don't know the Edifier M3600D i can almost guarantee it won't play as loud or produce as much bass as either the Klipsch or Logitech systems as both excel at both volume and bass output. I'd recommend the Klipsch even though it's a bit more $ than the Logitech

C

carewser

Enthusiast
Not everyone has the room or budget for a receiver and bookshelf speakers which is why people like me buy computer speakers. On top of that I can assure you, few bookshelf speakers can produce the bass or volume that either the Klipsch or Logitech systems can, either could power a rocking house party, how many bookshelf speakers can say that?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Not everyone has the room or budget for a receiver and bookshelf speakers which is why people like me buy computer speakers. On top of that I can assure you, few bookshelf speakers can produce the bass or volume that either the Klipsch or Logitech systems can, either could power a rocking house party, how many bookshelf speakers can say that?
Quite a few when you add a sub.

My PC setup is well beyond the quality of just about any PC speaker system and it's two bookshelf speakers, a sub, and my desktop integrated amp. It plays plenty loud.

Also, just because it can play loud, doesn't mean it sounds good.

C

carewser

Enthusiast
I never said either of those systems are audiophile quality (far from it, especially the Logitech), I was simply referring to two things that are very important to me-bass and volume but what you said originally was to just get an A/V receiver and bookshelf speakers but now you're conceding you'll also need a subwoofer to better the Klipsch/Logitech systems and you're right, a decent receiver/amp with a nice set of bookshelfs and a decent sub will outperform the Logitech/Klipsch systems but again, who has the room/money for all of that not to mention the hassle of having to buy and deal with three things instead of just one?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I never said either of those systems are audiophile quality (far from it, especially the Logitech), I was simply referring to two things that are very important to me-bass and volume but what you said originally was to just get an A/V receiver and bookshelf speakers but now you're conceding you'll also need a subwoofer to better the Klipsch/Logitech systems and you're right, a decent receiver/amp with a nice set of bookshelfs and a decent sub will outperform the Logitech/Klipsch systems but again, who has the room/money for all of that not to mention the hassle of having to buy and deal with three things instead of just one?
So, that was my first reply to this thread so not sure where you're seeing me make any recommendations.

My setup maybe cost me $600 total for my PC audio setup. It doesn't have to be expensive, but I get that an "all in one" solution might be tempting...until part of it breaks and you have to replace everything. Well, depending on the system you might be able to keep parts of it.

I had a Creative Cambridge Soundworks four point surround system that I used for years and LOVED. It was around $250 when I got it and I got my money's worth out of it for sure. It had bass and it could play loud, but what I didn't realize is how BAD it actually sounded. I still have it, but the "digital" input on it died a decade ago.

My DIY bookshelves sound MUCH better. Even the cheap JBL speakers I had before the bookshelves sounded better.

All in one PC systems are like soundbars. They're great for the specific application, but there are other routes that can work better.

For a PC I would personally get a good DAC (which I'm in the market for and have a thread) and pair it with a set of powered monitors and a sub. That will be the best sounding system IMHO and be VERY simple. Doesn't have to be expensive, but can be. A lot of powered monitors don't "need" a sub as for most music they'll did deep enough. I would always choose to integrate a sub when able though.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would take a set of JBL LSR Monitors or Kef Eggs over any Klipsch or Logitech system out there. Even the Mackie Creative Reference series are very good for the $.

I don't see how volume is so important for a nearfield setup. If you can't get to a decent volume nearfield, then something is wrong!

You want book shelf speaker with some bass? Check out the Philharmonic BMR! Useful bass down to 34Hz, your logitechs are gonna give up the ghost trying to hit that.

C

carewser

Enthusiast
I would take a set of JBL LSR Monitors or Kef Eggs over any Klipsch or Logitech system out there. Even the Mackie Creative Reference series are very good for the $.

I don't see how volume is so important for a nearfield setup. If you can't get to a decent volume nearfield, then something is wrong!

You want book shelf speaker with some bass? Check out the Philharmonic BMR! Useful bass down to 34Hz, your logitechs are gonna give up the ghost trying to hit that.
KEF/JBL Vs. Logitech? I'm sure most audiophiles would laugh at the thought of even comparing them but they're both much pricier than my Logitech's and i'd still happily compare the bass or volume from either of them to my Logitech's although i'm sure the mids and highs are better on the KEF's and JBL's. As far as volume goes, you're right, 200 watts RMS for nearfield is pretty much rock concert levels which is probably overkill

My Logitech's are THX-certified and claim to have a frequency response of 35hz-20khz and I actually believe it, they produce remarkably deep bass and i've owned other speakers with similar frequency response and the Logitech's bass is just as deep if not deeper so I wouldn't be so sure that they'd give up the ghost. The dull, flat highs are the problem for me not the bass

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
KEF/JBL Vs. Logitech? I'm sure most audiophiles would laugh at the thought of even comparing them but they're both much pricier than my Logitech's and i'd still happily compare the bass or volume from either of them to my Logitech's although i'm sure the mids and highs are better on the KEF's and JBL's. As far as volume goes, you're right, 200 watts RMS for nearfield is pretty much rock concert levels which is probably overkill

My Logitech's are THX-certified and claim to have a frequency response of 35hz-20khz and I actually believe it, they produce remarkably deep bass and i've owned other speakers with similar frequency response and the Logitech's bass is just as deep if not deeper so I wouldn't be so sure that they'd give up the ghost. The dull, flat highs are the problem for me not the bass
You're probably already an audiophile just by posting here and caring about your gear :) It's not a skill or particular gear, it's the person seeking good audio reproduction....

How do you get 200w from that system? Adding up all the amps at what spec? :) More a PMPO spec more than likely for the 400w/200w I see in the Logitech "specs". In any case watts aren't directly related to volume in a general sense, maybe in a specific system with a sensitivity spec in mind (which Logitech doesn't define any better than their amp spec). The frequency range is at what spec for example? I've got an older pair of JBL LSR305s ($180 the pair) that definitely perform better than the Logitech speakers I've used, altho the support of a sub for lower frequencies would elevate them far beyond Logitech capabilities, but do fairly well within their own capabilities. THX certification in general doesn't mean much either, there are many levels you can pursue, altho it does indicate some sort of competency, just not clear exactly what. Then again if your budget is $150 or so the Logitechs can be hard to beat for a suitable application (small room, desktop system sort of thing).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Logitech Z623
Edifier M3600D
Out of these choices, I'd say Klipsch Promedia 2.1 wins easily. I've seen it on good sales in Costco recently.

but If you really want to step up in audio quality you need to graduate from "pc speakers" to pro studio monitors.
I love my JBLs LSR2325p, 305 mk2 are nearly as good. Kali monitors where reviews here on AH very well as well.
for pro monitors you's want to use balanced connection and external USB dac

C

carewser

Enthusiast
^I also own the Klipsch Promedia's and yeah, they're great too although the Logitech's are a bit cheaper and play a little louder

Yeah, Logitech says "400 watts" on the Z623 box but of course that's peak power output which is silly because who's going to complain about 200 watts RMS, particularly from nearfield speakers? They're loud enough that i've actually made two different houses i've lived in with them, rattle. You're also correct about there being no sensitivity rating for them but then i've never seen any sensitivity rating for any 2.1 systems and I own a few. Few subwoofers include that info either. For some reason we're only privy to that information on normal 2 speaker setups but yes, speaker efficiency is not a trivial spec. As for their frequency response of 35hz-20khz, again you're correct, there's no way they're doing that at 200 watts, more like 5 or 10 watts because the higher the volume the worse the frequency response.

I was just checking out the stats on your LSR305's (which i've heard a few audiophiles recommend) and their frequency response is 43 Hz-24 kHz which is impressive for an inexpensive pair of 5" studio monitors, especially from JBL so it's no wonder so many people like them. I also own two pairs of 5" active/powered speakers (similar to the JBL's) by Kanto and Audioengine but neither dig as deep as your LSR305's and my speakers were more expensive. The weird thing about the LSR305's is that JBL claims they produce 41 watts to each tweeter and 41 watts to each woofer. Firstly, why be so specific and say "41 watts"? Why not just say 40? More importantly though, i've never heard of any active/powered speaker system (and they're kind of my thing) whose amp produced the same power for the tweeters as they do for the woofers since bass requires much more power. For example the Logitech's claim 130 watts to the sub and 70 watts to the two satellites and my other systems are similar, sending about double the wattage to the woofers/subs than the tweeters

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's an additive spec, nothing actually produces either 200wpc let alone 400wpc. Its called PMPO for those that advertise that sort of additive wattage spec. Just meaningless in general.

JBL amp spec isn't well defined either but probably something along the lines of a 1khz spec with a given THD rating (probably .1% at a guess at 1khz). They could have used less power for the tweet vs mid-woofer but probably a cost thing. Likely the higher power isn't needed for the tweeter in any case. Why it's 41 vs 40 is probably simply the curve of the thd spec involved (it's likely capable of more at higher thd in any case). The Logitech "sub" needs could well be at a different impedance and that could well affect the wattage spec even if same amp modules are used....let alone at what thd. Specs are comparable only when they're on the same basis....and when the basis isn't well defined then many things are possible.....

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
On a PC setup, an active concentric driver speaker would work well since you would be sitting very close to the speaker.

Something from the Tannoy Gold Series or something similar from a different brand could be worth a try.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis